Last day before DAT...how to review bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDanger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My test is Tuesday so I want to spend all of tomorrow going over bio. When I started studying I made detailed handwritten notes of every chapter in Cliff's, then I did the Destroyer once. I've been studying gen chem and ochem lately so I haven't touched any bio in about 2-2.5 weeks. :depressed: The past few days I've done the Bootcamp bio tests and have ranged between 16-18 -- I'm not surprised honestly. I've forgotten a ton of bio since I stopped studying it, but I know once I brush up tomorrow those scores will go a few points higher.

Just wondering what you guys found most beneficial/efficient to refresh yourself with the bio section. Bootcamp? Destroyer once more? Youtube? Notecards? :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry, that does not help.

Move forward, and just study/read what you don't know.

Like I wrote before about reviewing with destroyer

I would say ferralis but thats a TON of info to go through for one day. Therefore I recommend to go through all of your Cliff notes and then review Destroyer Bio and make it as far as you can!

I would say go through cliffs. Make notecards (on quizlet) on what you don't know and then review the notecards a few times. That's what I did. My test is Tuesday too :) 8:30 AM. Good luck!

Feralis is wayyy too detailed. Use it to supplement your knowledge/what you already know, and not stress about really specific things that you wonder "well... this is really specific, do we have to know this?" Chances are yes, and no, but at this point in the game, just briefly look over it to get familiar with it (store it in your working memory so you can recall it on test day).

I would recommend reading through your cliff's, doing bootcamp bio questions by section and making note of what you got wrong, and DEFINITELY doing as much destroyer q's possible. If you reach the point where you begin to panic due to discovering you don't know as much as you want/you think you need to know, stop and slap yourself, take a deep breath, and then keep doing more problems/content review. You'll do fine :)

Thanks guys! Exactly what I needed to hear!!! Looks like there's a consensus of looking over notes and then doing practice problems until my eyes shrivel up and fall out. Do you all think Destroyer is more beneficial than Bootcamp? Ideally I'd like to do both but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time. And @dhk2131 I can assure you I will need to slap myself frequently (that sounds a little weird...) I'm definitely the type of person to panic when my confidence is destroyed last minute!

Good luck to you too, @jwan14! Mine is at 8am :sleep: but at least we'll be done early in the day. It feels so weird that this time tomorrow I'll be in the middle my test. Welcome to anxiety central!!!!

As long as you know which questions you don't know 100%, destroyer seems to be an ideal review resource for bio, the answers state the facts plain and simple.

Or just answer every 5 questions, q5, q10,q15....etc, until you finish the chapter of bio questions..

Take a break

Check what you got wrong and right.

And review what you got wrong.

Take a break

And repeat

Don't forget to sleep early....

You Don't want to be a grouch before an exam and running late!

Here's what worked for me.

I read back over the chapters that gave me the biggest headache in Cliff's. IIRC, those were the chapters on photosynthesis, respiration, and anatomy/physio. IT HELPED IMMENSELY.

Don't study a TON today, but I'd read back over your notes from Chad and refresh yourself on the Cliff chapters that are hardest for you. Other than that, just relax! Don't kill yourself.

My test is Tuesday so I want to spend all of tomorrow going over bio. When I started studying I made detailed handwritten notes of every chapter in Cliff's, then I did the Destroyer once. I've been studying gen chem and ochem lately so I haven't touched any bio in about 2-2.5 weeks. :depressed: The past few days I've done the Bootcamp bio tests and have ranged between 16-18 -- I'm not surprised honestly. I've forgotten a ton of bio since I stopped studying it, but I know once I brush up tomorrow those scores will go a few points higher.

Just wondering what you guys found most beneficial/efficient to refresh yourself with the bio section. Bootcamp? Destroyer once more? Youtube? Notecards? :help:

You are in the same situation I was the day before my exam. I hadn't touched bio since forever.
I felt that watching vids all day would take a lot of time, so I decided to go over the things I did not remember. I went over ferralis (if you see a term you know SKIP IT)
I went over my notebook etc...
***When we are reviewing and tired we tend to read EVERYTHING we have in front of us, I think I wasted time going over what I already knew. Remember this is a multiple choice exam so you don't need to know the exact words, just the overall meanings and how things work. If there is something you know, don't re read it, put it aside and go to the next, keep doing this until about 10 PM if your exam is at 8 or 9 AM***
The day before I stopped everything at 10 PM, I took a shower and about 11 - 12 I fell asleep. Then I woke up at 7 for my exam at 9. Make sure you give yourself time to eat a good breakfast and pee :)

Good Luck Tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user
I started studying for bio 2 days before the test. What I did was go through the cliff's and made flashcards for the term and information that was pretty complex or new to me. The longest section was the animal function and turned out I didn't have a single question from it. I recommend going through the first 6 or 7 chapters and also the corresponding chapters from feralis notes. I think cell functions and genetics are what they test the most. I had about 5-10 super random questions and rest of them were mix of the cell functions and genetics.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the advice. :) It's so hard to not have a nervous breakdown lol I feel like I'm not absorbing anything! I'll definitely be tempted to pull an all-nighter tonight since that's just the way I deal with exams but I know that's an awful idea.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the advice. :) It's so hard to not have a nervous breakdown lol I feel like I'm not absorbing anything! I'll definitely be tempted to pull an all-nighter tonight since that's just the way I deal with exams but I know that's an awful idea.

It is not that bad as long you get a nice power nap in there somhow , if you are use to cramming

For this type of exam it is not a good idea to do an all-nighter. Simply because there is so much info that probably what you study that night wont show up on the exam, unlike our school exams that we know the topics that will be on the test. But dont worry!!! You will be fine even if you feel you are not absorbing anything. You already absorbed what you had to absorb. The rest is just focusing on the exam time and a good sleep the night before.