1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

    Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Last day to take MCAT? Should I postpone?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by xela07, Jul 25, 2011.

  1. xela07

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I graduated from an ivy last June and was planning to take my MCATs next Friday. Although I have been studying for 1.5 months, my scores on the practice test in the BS section are consistently low (~5-6). I have been getting ~10-11 VR, ~9-10 PS.
    My GPA is 3.4 and 3.2 (science) and I am underrepresented minority. My home state is PA. I already submitted my AMCAS stating that I would take the MCAT on July 29th. I have applied to 20 schools (the max allowed by my institution).

    I am thinking of postponing until August 18, 19 or 23rd.

    My questions are:
    - Can I postpone the MCAT for a month and still apply to start at an MD school in Fall 2012?
    - I understand that I will have a decreased chance of acceptance given that admissions are rolling, but isn't it better than getting a very low BS score.
    - Will there be any issues with my AMCAS if my MCAT scores don't actually appear until later?

    Thank you for your help and advice!
     
    #1 xela07, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. asrikrishnan

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    Messages:
    414
    Likes Received:
    0
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    This thread has been posted in the wrong area. But to answer your question: you should definitely postpone for a month. A BS score that low will be a huge red flag especially with a low(ish) GPA. You will still be in the running but you will probably be a late applicant.
     
  4. xela07

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I moved it thanks a lot!
     
  5. plauto

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2007
    Messages:
    1,056
    Likes Received:
    3
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Study the hell out of the BS section, luckily it is the easiest one to improve. You have no room for error at this point and by delaying the MCAT you are seriously showing up for the game at half time. Not all hope is lost, but you will be at a big disdvantage, also considering that your GPA is on the low side. Just out of curiosity, what school do you go to that limits how many schools you can apply to? And how would they know how many schools you applied to? It's your future, I say screw what they tell you to do and apply as broadly as you can if you want to have a shot at it for this year. Low GPA, very late application, questionable MCAT score, low number of schools=bad prognosis
     

Share This Page