Last day to take Step 1 to meet Sept 15th application deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pholston

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted my question here earlier but think this is a more appropriate forum. Also the circumstances have changed a bit.

I am an IMG and a graduate. I have already passed Step 2 CK & CS.

Since the results are due on third Wednesday (not counting the Wednesday of the week the test is taken) if I take the test during the week of August 14th-20th then my results should be out on September 7th ( being the third Wednesday).

Based on that I should get ECFMG certificate within 1-2 weeks (usually 1 week) i.e. by September 14th.

But according to many threads here I do not need ECFMG certificate to apply for the match on September 15th, just a pass.

Similarly, if I take the test during the week of 21 - 27th August, my results should be out on September 14th or I am cutting it too close?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is: "it depends" and "you're probably worrying too much".

You can apply via ERAS to any program you want with whatever exams/documents you have on whatever date you want. Each program can choose what combination of scores / documents they require to consider your application. They can also choose any specific cut off date they want, or they can keep reviewing applications until they reach some magical number of "good" applications they are interested in. They can also decide to only review apps that are ECFMG certified, or they can look at apps that have all/most of the necessary steps completed.

Each program can make their own rules, and most programs do not publish exactly when application review actually happens.

So it is in your best interest to have everything in as early as possible, so you don't worry about it. That said, whether you're complete on Sept 14 or Sept 20 (or Oct 1) probably doesn't matter that much. But nothing stops a program from only considering applications that are complete on Sept 15th, if they want.

Of note, your timeline is tight and very dependent upon everything going "right". What happens if there's a huge storm and the power is lost during or right before your exam? You've left yourself no time to address issues like illness, "acts of God", etc. And if there is an unforeseen problem, the USMLE won't somehow "rush" your results -- in fact you'll simply need to make the next available appointment.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't know you could take Step 2 without passing Step 1? Tough to go back to all that basic science.

The answer is: "it depends" and "you're probably worrying too much".

You can apply via ERAS to any program you want with whatever exams/documents you have on whatever date you want. Each program can choose what combination of scores / documents they require to consider your application. They can also choose any specific cut off date they want, or they can keep reviewing applications until they reach some magical number of "good" applications they are interested in. They can also decide to only review apps that are ECFMG certified, or they can look at apps that have all/most of the necessary steps completed.

Each program can make their own rules, and most programs do not publish exactly when application review actually happens.

So it is in your best interest to have everything in as early as possible, so you don't worry about it. That said, whether you're complete on Sept 14 or Sept 20 (or Oct 1) probably doesn't matter that much. But nothing stops a program from only considering applications that are complete on Sept 15th, if they want.

Of note, your timeline is tight and very dependent upon everything going "right". What happens if there's a huge storm and the power is lost during or right before your exam? You've left yourself no time to address issues like illness, "acts of God", etc. And if there is an unforeseen problem, the USMLE won't somehow "rush" your results -- in fact you'll simply need to make the next available appointment.
Thank you so much for the detailed response.
So glad I joined SDN where a PD personally responds to questions.
However, could you please clarify what do you mean by "whether you're complete on Sept 14 or Sept 20 (or Oct 1) probably doesn't matter that much" ?
Do you mean that in practical terms programs usually consider applications after Oct 1st?
Does it matter if I am an IMG since I read on another forum that programs first consider AMG applications followed by IMGs?
Does it matter if I am an old IMG and my application will likely be considered later than others?

I really need to take the test as late as possible due to personal family issues which has hindered my preparation without damaging my chances for the upcoming Match.

Last edited:
I didn't know you could take Step 2 without passing Step 1? Tough to go back to all that basic science.
Yes it is very tough especially after practicing medicine for over 10 years.
That's the reason I took Step 2 CK first (since I was already practicing) followed by CS (which was a cake walk).
For Step 1 I had to forget whatever little basic sciences I still remembered and start from scratch since almost everything has changed or new from "good old days".

Thank you so much for the detailed response.
So glad I joined SDN where a PD personally responds to questions.
However, could you please clarify what do you mean by "whether you're complete on Sept 14 or Sept 20 (or Oct 1) probably doesn't matter that much" ?
Do you mean that in practical terms programs usually consider applications after Oct 1st?
Does it matter if I am an IMG since I read on another forum that programs first consider AMG applications followed by IMGs?
Does it matter if I am an old IMG and my application will likely be considered later than others?

I really need to take the test as late as possible due to personal family issues which has hindered my preparation without damaging my chances for the upcoming Match.

For many programs, whether you're complete on Sept 15 or Oct 1 isn't going to matter. I can't review all of the applications in 15 days. But, it's possible that some programs will simply use early application submission as a way to weed out people. Bottom line is that you should be complete as early as possible.

If you're applying to programs that take only/mostly IMG's, they will be looking at IMG applications on Day 1.

Reactions: 1 users
For many programs, whether you're complete on Sept 15 or Oct 1 isn't going to matter. I can't review all of the applications in 15 days. But, it's possible that some programs will simply use early application submission as a way to weed out people. Bottom line is that you should be complete as early as possible.

If you're applying to programs that take only/mostly IMG's, they will be looking at IMG applications on Day 1.
Thank you for clearing that up.