Last MCAT date but practice mcat scores not improving :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirtysixorabove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my second time taking the MCAT.

On my first MCAT I got a 29. (P10, V9, B10).

I decided to retake it because on practice AAMCA MCATs, I got consistently 34s and Physical Science was my strongest subject on all practice tests but on the real test, I ran out of time on PS.

I'm taking my second MCAT on 1/23, the last date before the MCAT2015.

But my practice MCAT scores have dropped to 30s and it's not improving.

With only a week a head of me, I am unsure whether I should retake the MCAT and risk getting the same (even lower) score than the first MCAT.

At the same time, I do NOT want to study for the new MCAT as I have already studied for the old MCAT twice now :(

What should I do?

Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible that you got burnt out hence the decline. Can you post all your scores?
Also, there's no point in panicking now, just try and analyze your mistakes and take a quick glance at the material.

Hi!

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it.

When I first studied for MCAT, I got:
AAMC11: 34 (P14 V9 B11)
AAMC9: 34 (P12 V11 B11)
AAMC8: 32 (P12 V10 B10)
AAMC7: 28 (P 10 V8 B10)
AAMC5: 30 (P10 V10 B10)

And on the actual exam I got a 29 (P10 V9 B10).

The second time I've been studying for MCAT, I got:
TPR4: 26 (P8 V7 B11)
TPR5: 30 (P10 V9 B11)
AAMC8: 33 (P13 V9 B11)
AAMC9: 31 (P11 V10 B10)

I plan on taking AAMC 10 and 11 this week.

My biggest concern is that my scores aren't improving and it won't improve on the actual exam. And that would reflect poorly on the application. At the same time, I do NOT want to take the MCAT2015 and have to study all over again. That would feel like the biggest waste of time.

Again, thank you for all your help!

It sounds like you can potentially exceed that 29 if you retake, but if I had to guess I would say your issue involves the test day itself. Were you nervous the first time?

On another note, 29 is not a bad score. If you retake and score a 34 then it would be worth it, but if you retake and score another 29 or even a 30 -- it might even work against you. It all depends on your goals. If your goal is to attend medical school, you probably don't even need to take it again (even if you know you're capable of more).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it.

When I first studied for MCAT, I got:
AAMC11: 34 (P14 V9 B11)
AAMC9: 34 (P12 V11 B11)
AAMC8: 32 (P12 V10 B10)
AAMC7: 28 (P 10 V8 B10)
AAMC5: 30 (P10 V10 B10)

And on the actual exam I got a 29 (P10 V9 B10).

The second time I've been studying for MCAT, I got:
TPR4: 26 (P8 V7 B11)
TPR5: 30 (P10 V9 B11)
AAMC8: 33 (P13 V9 B11)
AAMC9: 31 (P11 V10 B10)

I plan on taking AAMC 10 and 11 this week.

My biggest concern is that my scores aren't improving and it won't improve on the actual exam. And that would reflect poorly on the application. At the same time, I do NOT want to take the MCAT2015 and have to study all over again. That would feel like the biggest waste of time.

Again, thank you for all your help!

Actually, I think you might be in better shape than you think you are. I think the general consensus is that the TPR tests slightly deflate your scores. Your performance on the AAMCs is not bad (small sample size but you are averaging 3 points higher than 29).

Your scores are actually pretty good, you seem to have no trouble in the sciences department. It's the verbal that's doing the damage (minor), so my advice is practice some verbal passages and don't give up. You're actually in good shape so don't sweat it.

It sounds like you can potentially exceed that 29 if you retake, but if I had to guess I would say your issue involves the test day itself. Were you nervous the first time?

On another note, 29 is not a bad score. If you retake and score a 34 then it would be worth it, but if you retake and score another 29 or even a 30 -- it might even work against you. It all depends on your goals. If your goal is to attend medical school, you probably don't even need to take it again (even if you know you're capable of more).

Hi Furan!

I did run out of time on PS on the actual exam. That was my biggest regret because PS was my strongest suit during the practice exams. But it seemed like actual MCAT PS was much harder and practice AAMC exams weren't very representative...

My goal is definitely to attend medical school.

But with my GPA (3.7) and MCAT score of 29, AAMC reports only 29% were admitted. That's why I am retaking the test.

Again, thank you!

Hi Furan!

I did run out of time on PS on the actual exam. That was my biggest regret because PS was my strongest suit during the practice exams. But it seemed like actual MCAT PS was much harder and practice AAMC exams weren't very representative...

My goal is definitely to attend medical school.

But with my GPA (3.7) and MCAT score of 29, AAMC reports only 29% were admitted. That's why I am retaking the test.

Again, thank you!

It really depends where you apply. If you're applying only to Top 20 then your odds are pretty low. If you apply broadly and with diversity (and maybe some DO thrown in), your odds are much better than 29%.

There are also small things that really go a long way in an application. I have a close friend that scored a 28 with a 3.4 GPA and received 3 MD acceptances with pretty average ECs. The difference? He ranked #1 in an organic chemistry class taught by a Nobel prize winner.

You never know what admissions committees will value.