last min rank list thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LotMoRans

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting the ol' list in order and I'm curious for some other perspectives. I think I have my list broken down into groups but working on the order within those groups any thoughts on the programs?

Group in no order: Florida, Loyola, Rush, U Chicago, U Florida (Gainesville), U Cincinnati, U Conn

Group in no order: U Oklahoma, U Kansas, U Kentucky, U Arkansas, UT Austin, UT San Antonio, UT Memphis

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking through your list, the only one that stands out as different is UT Austin. That is a new program and there will be less of a history in placing people into fellowships. As for how to rank things, you need to consider what fellowships you may want to consider. If something like surg onc or peds surgery are an interest, you want to go somewhere that has a history of placing people in those fellowships. As well, you want to consider where you live. Do you want to be in the big city of Chicago or would you rather be in a smaller town? Do you want a strong academic focused program or a more clinically focused program?

In the end, alot comes down to fit. Which places did you feel you fit in well when interviewing? Which did you like meeting the residents? Which programs gave you a less exciting opinion after going? All of that will come together to help you determine where you want to spend the next 5-7 years of your life.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking through your list, the only one that stands out as different is UT Austin. That is a new program and there will be less of a history in placing people into fellowships. As for how to rank things, you need to consider what fellowships you may want to consider. If something like surg onc or peds surgery are an interest, you want to go somewhere that has a history of placing people in those fellowships. As well, you want to consider where you live. Do you want to be in the big city of Chicago or would you rather be in a smaller town? Do you want a strong academic focused program or a more clinically focused program?

In the end, alot comes down to fit. Which places did you feel you fit in well when interviewing? Which did you like meeting the residents? Which programs gave you a less exciting opinion after going? All of that will come together to help you determine where you want to spend the next 5-7 years of your life.

I know fit is talked about a lot but I thought the feel at most of the program was positive and very similar. A quirky resident here, an intense attending there but all in all they seemed like great comradery. I would be happy living in any of the cities but i do prob prefer something smaller than chicago... it mostly comes down to training. I hear Florida is getting a new chair and I have mixed feeling about that and I know UT Austin in new but they seem to have a solid plan for the future.

Interested in academics perhaps Trauma, Vascular or SONC but not really peds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know fit is talked about a lot but I thought the feel at most of the program was positive and very similar. A quirky resident here, an intense attending there but all in all they seemed like great comradery. I would be happy living in any of the cities but i do prob prefer something smaller than chicago... it mostly comes down to training. I hear Florida is getting a new chair and I have mixed feeling about that and I know UT Austin in new but they seem to have a solid plan for the future.

If you want surg onc, you want to go to more prestigious programs. Trauma and vascular aren't that competitive and any reasonable university program or good community program would give you the opportunity. Even though Austin sounds like they may haves good plan, they are still new. Fellowship directors don't know them. There could be kinks that have to get worked out. Personally, I'd put it lower on my list.

Getting a new chair isn't always a bad thing. Depends on who they get.

I think that looking at fellowship match rate is huge, especially if you want to do something like onc (or peds, or plastics). Florida definitely has had residents get into great fellowships recently in onc, trauma, and vascular (their fellowship match rates are really high across the board, actually). In terms of the new chair, it will obviously depend on who they recruit but the scuttlebutt is they will be going outside their system and will probably end up with a fairly strong chairman. I would definitely worry less about a new chair at an established program than a new program without a pedigree.

I do think location matters, as you want to be happy outside of the hospital. If you aren't a big city person you may not be happy in Chicago.

If interested in onc - Chicago and Cinci.

Cincinnati matched 3 chiefs into surg onc this year.
Sounds like the consensus is that the most "prestigious" programs are Florida, Cincinnati, and Loyola?

Based on how academic positions go, probably shouldn't choose anywhere based on the chair of surgery/chief of a division. That stuff changes on the regular.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Oooh I was wondering if we would do a rank list thread this year. My rank list is relatively set, and this is not the order (for anonymity's sake). Essentially, I want a academic career (and as such a very strong fellowship match) in a yet to be determined specialty, but for personal reasons am considering ranking against traditional prestige. Would any of these programs hold me back significantly relative to the others?

Michigan
MGH
BWH
Duke
UVa
U Wash
Wash U
UCSF
Pitt
NWstern
U Chicago
MCW
OHSU

TL: DR: In the tradition of this sub, are all ten of these top five programs?
Pardon my neurosis, just one month til match day...

Oooh I was wondering if we would do a rank list thread this year. My rank list is relatively set, and this is not the order (for anonymity's sake). Essentially, I want a academic career (and as such a very strong fellowship match) in a yet to be determined specialty, but for personal reasons am considering ranking against traditional prestige. Would any of these programs hold me back significantly relative to the others?

Michigan
MGH
BWH
Duke
UVa
U Wash
Wash U
UCSF
Pitt
NWstern
U Chicago
MCW
OHSU

TL: DR: In the tradition of this sub, are all ten of these top five programs?
Pardon my neurosis, just one month til match day...

Are all ten(?) of these top five(?) programs?

wat

Yup, All of those are top 5 programs.

While there can be some quibbling over "ranks" all of those will give you outstanding professional opportunities.

I would say that geography, research interests, and the nebulous "fit"/"feel" factors should play a big role in your choice

Fantastic. Very reassuring to hear.

Yeah I get that but he listed 13 programs. Interviews at Michigan but can't count?

It's part of the joke. Or maybe I'm just that good. We may never know.