Wombat Jones

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2007
Status
With the May 15th deadline approaching, I had finally selected a school earlier this week. So today, I received an acceptance from one of my favorite schools. I was completely surprised, because I interviewed so late in the cycle that I thought I was interviewing for a waitlist spot. My question: do I still have to select one school tomorrow, or do I get a few days to make this difficult decision?

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
This happens a lot because of financial aid. Contact both schools and explain your situation. AMCAS cannot take an acceptance from you, only the medical school can. This is a formality that should be followed, but I think both schools will barter a few days with you.

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2007
Houston, Texas
Status
Medical Student
Standard period of leniency is about a week, but I'd call the previous school you were interested in and let them know about this new offer. Tell them that you'll get back to them ASAP about a decision.

Remember, a week is pretty much all you get for making decisions like this. Some schools may be more considerate about waiting for financial aid, while others may not (they're trying to peg down their final class). Be courteous and respectful to the people you call!

Dedikated2liftn

Bodybuilder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2006
Status
Medical Student
With the May 15th deadline approaching, I had finally selected a school earlier this week. So today, I received an acceptance from one of my favorite schools. I was completely surprised, because I interviewed so late in the cycle that I thought I was interviewing for a waitlist spot. My question: do I still have to select one school tomorrow, or do I get a few days to make this difficult decision?
Also, if there's a big difference in financial aid, you might be able to play the two schools off of one another (granted you know what you'll be getting at the school that just accepted you).

America = The New Texas
10+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2007
Status
I saw you post in another thread that I contribute to, and I know what school you're talking about. So let me make this real easy.

Just come to UCLA man! Come join the party! :D

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So basically it is a Cornell vs. UCLA Thread... huh... that is a tough decision...

OP
Wombat Jones

Wombat Jones

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2007
Status
So basically it is a Cornell vs. UCLA Thread... huh... that is a tough decision...
Close, but not quite:smuggrin:. Penn's late-arriving financial aid package knocked Cornell to the curb. So it's a Penn v. UCLA thread.

And TexasMD, I am SO tempted to say, "screw it all, I'm going to UCLA," but until I get a preliminary financial aid package from Gloria (name??), I just can't bring myself to do it.