Last minute advice - should I, Shouldn't I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

londoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted advice really.
Here in London - am working although have had the last two weeks off to prepare for step 1.

Exam provisionally next Thursday.

Currently:
Q-bank: random, timed: 700Q done
60% overall
NBME self assessment: first test: 410 (mean 500, SD 100)
USMLE practice questions (150): 70%

Got this week to whizz through a few other things, mainly Q bank and FA.

I don't need to rip the exam, just pass, but I feel I'm a little borderline.
Unless feedback from the forum is a definitive no, I'll go for it next week, expecting anywhere between a 190 - 210.

Advice please.
Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you'll do fine. You might consider using Step-Up during the last week rather than FA, as it (Step-Up) does a better job of integrating the material. The Step 1 exam is an exam that requires "integration" of the material, and FA doesn't reflect that. Anyway, cram for a few days, finish Q-Bank, and take the day before the exam off. Best of luck!

Willamette

I think that you will be fine. Everyone I talk to says that a 55% on Qbank is the equivalent of passing. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
your NBME assessment score, while not stellar, certainly reflects a passing grade...many people have asserted that is the best prospective measure of Step 1 performance. I think you should do just fine.

Hey Idiopathic...How do you like Goljan's new book? Also, I was wondering if you were using Qbank. I am scoring over 70% in every subject but molecular bio and genetics. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on studying for those subjects since we are both from DO schools and, at least at my school, we didn't go into too much detail when it came to molecular bio.

Kaplan Biochem is a good book for both Biochem/genetics, very well written (unlike HY which just lists tons of things without much explanations).

hi everyone-- i cant seem to get to the 150 free questions on the NBME website-- can someone post a link for me? thanks!