Last minute advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

italian831

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
21 on AAMC test 7.... below that on all the other princeton review and 3R, 4R....

thinking of waiting till January....I kno i can only make this decision...what would you do? hehe

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to take the test and then void it, because yoy arent gonna get your money back anyway? I might void, considering how I feel about verbal. Verbal is a big hit or miss for me, depends whether I understand their passages on not.. If I feel I could understand the passages then I might keep it.. :luck:

italian831 said:
21 on AAMC test 7.... below that on all the other princeton review and 3R, 4R....

thinking of waiting till January....I kno i can only make this decision...what would you do? hehe

thanks!

i think i might wait. or void the test.

last year i didn't feel very prepared, but i thought that was normal. this year, i don't feel nearly as unprepared. of course there are still things i could review, and certain things that i will never understand (e.g., torque for some reason). but, overall i'm sick of studying, and when that happens- i think it means i've done enough. i feel like i put my best foot forward, unlike last year. nonetheless, there is lots more pressure since this will be my second time.

needless to say, i think actually writing the mcat was a good experience. no TPR/KAPLAN mock can quite accurately stimulate the nerves and environment on the real day. in this sense, i feel like voiding would be a good learning experience. i'm not sure what the consequences of this are though (do medical schools see that you voided? etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't totally waste your money. Void the test. Med schools will not see that you took the test. The AAMC will use it as one of your 3 "sittings", but I hope you don't plan to be a serial MCAT taker.

gapotts2003 said:
Don't totally waste your money. Void the test. Med schools will not see that you took the test. The AAMC will use it as one of your 3 "sittings", but I hope you don't plan to be a serial MCAT taker.

I thought they decided to show med schools if you voided your score now? I forgot who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was my advisor who told me that it was a recent decision to tell med schools that you had voided a test, and to be prepared with a good excuse to tell the interviewer as to why it was voided.

italian831 said:

thanks!

I agree with the other posters. The real MCAT is even harder than the AAMC tests...much harder than AAMC 7 and noticeably harder than AAMC 9. I averaged around 30 for my last 4 AAMC exams leading up to the April MCAT and came away substantially short on the day. I would advise you to only take if you are consistently in the high 20's.

sowfeeah said:
I thought they decided to show med schools if you voided your score now? I forgot who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was my advisor who told me that it was a recent decision to tell med schools that you had voided a test, and to be prepared with a good excuse to tell the interviewer as to why it was voided.

I have not heard this, and I don't think the AAMC website indicates that this is the case. Even if it's true, you can always say you had a bad cold/flu and didn't feel you'd performed up to your potential.

Bluemirage said:
I agree with the other posters. The real MCAT is even harder than the AAMC tests...much harder than AAMC 7 and noticeably harder than AAMC 9. I averaged around 30 for my last 4 AAMC exams leading up to the April MCAT and came away substantially short on the day. I would advise you to only take if you are consistently in the high 20's.

Wait I thought AAMC exams are scored to be almost exactly like the real thing...

Is this really true? Do others feel this way too? How does it compare to 8 (that thing was rough)?

MollyMalone said:
I have not heard this, and I don't think the AAMC website indicates that this is the case. Even if it's true, you can always say you had a bad cold/flu and didn't feel you'd performed up to your potential.

Or chalk it up to bad testing conditions.

w1ll said:
Wait I thought AAMC exams are scored to be almost exactly like the real thing...

Is this really true? Do others feel this way too? How does it compare to 8 (that thing was rough)?

My MCAT was harder than the AAMC exams. A lot of might have just been the stress of taking the whole thing, but it did definitely feel more difficult from a content standpoint.

ADeadLois said:
My MCAT was harder than the AAMC exams. A lot of might have just been the stress of taking the whole thing, but it did definitely feel more difficult from a content standpoint.

I can't imagine the test being a lot harder....I think you're right in stating that stress and anxiety plays a huge factor.....people are saying to themselves "OMG! I can't believe I"m taking the MCAT!" ......plus seeing all the people flipping flash cards, drinking gatorades, and eating bananas like maniacs. :laugh:

italian831 said:

thanks!

I would suggest, if you can handle it, just to take the test and void it at the end for practice. I said if you can handle it because I really felt like I should have voided April 2005, but I decided what the heck....it can't be that bad.....big mistake :D !