Last minute decision to study pharmacy...PCAT advice? Mometrix?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just woke up one day and decided, hey, I'm going to go to UIC and study pre-pharmacy (I need one more semester of pre-requisites because I have 83credits and an Associate in Science from another institution). I applied for UIC on the 14th of this month and I was accepted in 5 days. So 1/3ish of the way there, yay! However, I had no idea there was an exam. I knew nothing about it. It seems to be an advanced version of an ACT with more biology and chemistry portions. Is this about right? I found a website online called "Mometrix" that has tons of videos with short lectures in every area that's found on the test. Has anyone used this site? It also has practice tests. I just found out about all of this today and my goal is to study for a month and then take the test. I know it sounds crazy, especially since I haven't been to school since 2014, but I almost always get in the 90+% on any standardized test so I'm not too worried. I just want to be sure I am studying the correct material. If anyone knows of any other good sources (that do not cost $1200...Im looking at you KAPLAN) please let me know. I also bought the actual study guide from the PCAT website.

EDIT: Also sorry for any typos. I have this weird auto-incorrect app on my computer so Im hoping I didnt miss something else. Originally it put "chemicals" in place of chemistry lol Hopefully the rest is clear.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that you don't have enough information about Pharmacy schools and PCAT yet.
Why don't you find what materials people are studying for PCAT in this SDN?
You may find it's Dr.Collins. In my experience, it's the best one for PCAT. If you studied hart while you took pre-pharmacy, it will not be a matter to get more than 90%.

I just want to give you a little input.. the PCAT is NO WAY similar to the ACT. A type of standardized testing such as SAT ACT are extremely generalized exams that just what to gauge on the information you have learned from high school. The PCAT is best taken when you have fulfilled your prerequisites for pharmacy school. Mainly, chemistry up to Organic (maybe even Orgo2), definitely Biology up to A&P. If you go on the PCAT website it will tell you what is on the exam and how to better prepare for it. IMO, the PCAT is a pretty vigorous exam that you need a good amount of time to study for. I use to think I was a good standardized tester, but the PCAT has quickly evolved to filter out a lot of applicants. If you want to gauge your knowledge and see how the exam is, Kaplan offers a free exam that can help you get the feel of it. Also, Pearson has 3 PCAT exams you can buy, you can do the timer, see how the entire exam is formatted as they administer the exam.

If you have decided to go the pharmacy route, many posters on SDN have insight on the exam, what materials to use and even some customized schedules that helped them succeed. I personally have used Dr.Collins back in 2014 and it was the reason I got >90. But, the PCAT has changed since July 2016 and the content has greatly changed. Hope this helps and brings some clarity!