Last minute inquiry...please assist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmed44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks ago, but really need some guidance.

College: 3.4 biology + sociology degree ('07)
Grad: MPH 3.7 ('09)

MCAT: 19Q
AMCAS: Complete

I have spoken with a couple Deans of Admissions and of course, they have said retake the exam.

I want to apply to at least a few schools this cycle, so I can experience secondaries and see if I can get any nibbles.

Please indicate (from your experience) which schools I *may* have a shot at them even looking at me , and why you know this.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have spoken with a couple Deans of Admissions and of course, they have said retake the exam.

I want to apply to at least a few schools this cycle, so I can experience secondaries and see if I can get any nibbles.

Please indicate (from your experience) which schools I *may* have a shot at them even looking at me , and why you know this.

Thanks!

I hate to be negative, but I don't think you should even spend the money to send one secondary in. You're obviously not incompetent because you have an acceptable GPA and a Master's degree, but that score is realistically not going to cut it. You should take the money you were going to spend on secondaries and buy a good, comprehensive MCAT resource like ExamKrackers as well as 6-8 full length AAMC practice exams. Put in a solid 6 months of preparation and retake the test in April. After the April test, keep studying while you wait for your score. If you get your score back in May and it's not good enough, then retake the test in June and submit your application in July. Good luck.

Thanks!
I'm going to be blunt. None.
You might receive secondaries from schools that do not screen out low mcat scores but this will be because the school sends everyone a secondary and wants your money... which will be wasted.
I think that you would be applying too late even if you have some completely amazing redeeming component to your application.

Retake your MCAT, get a 30+. Make sure all your ECs are in line and apply as early as possible. If you want to get a feel for secondary aps go to the first post of any of the school specific threads, secondary questions are posted there. Good luck.