• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

beaudubbs

Dangerous...but also safe
10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I was just finishing up my ROL (actually already certified) when I came across a slight issue. a review of the jacobi program on scutwork.com states that the EM residents have no direct patient care responsibilities on off-service rotations. does anybody know if this is correct? while this might be a pretty sweet deal in some ways, i don't think i want for my training program. good luck submitting the ROLs peeps.

beaudubbs

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
last time i am bumping. anybody know about how this works at jacobi (didn't ask at iview because i have never even heard of such a thing).

About the Ads

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
Tampa, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I didn't interview there so I have no clue, but maybe you can email one of the residents there to get the inside scoop.

beaudubbs

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i know, i probably should email one of the residents. however, it is late in the game, and i have found that everyone says the same things about their home programs, minimizing weaknesses and magnifying strengths (understandable). i was hoping for a more unbiased opinion.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Status (Visible)
When I interviewed at Jacobi the residents would tell me about rounding in the ICU and then leaving later on that afternoon.

I can understand not wanting to go somewhere you wouldn't have direct patient-care responsibilities on off-service rotations. Then again, ICU call sucks and you don't learn that much.

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i know, i probably should email one of the residents. however, it is late in the game, and i have found that everyone says the same things about their home programs, minimizing weaknesses and magnifying strengths (understandable). i was hoping for a more unbiased opinion.

I bet if you emailed 3-4 residents and asked "how much patient care responsibilities do you have on off-service months?", you would get some idea. I probably wouldn't say "I heard you don't get any, true?" in which case they may get defensive and start saying the same ol' pitch. That said, less responsibility in the ICU may not be the worst thing ever.

Presumably you have, but if not, it may also be worth doing a search on jacobi on the this forum. You may find your answer. Good luck!

StudentDoc327

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
When I interviewed at Jacobi the residents would tell me about rounding in the ICU and then leaving later on that afternoon.

I can understand not wanting to go somewhere you wouldn't have direct patient-care responsibilities on off-service rotations. Then again, ICU call sucks and you don't learn that much.

I know for a fact it was like this when Jacobi was 2-4 because they thought that you already did all the scutwork or what not you needed to in your preliminary medicine year, but I think that the policy might have changed now that they are 1-4. Im not sure though.

papichulodoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Jacobi residents definitely have direct care patient responsibility. Especially now with the transition. Most of us (while it was a 2-4 program) did all the scut work during our prelim year, but now all the interns have to get the ir share too. So, yes the first years are given call schedules and are an integral part of the team. Not having a direct care patient responsibilities when it was a 2-4 program however was an advantage. Think of it this way, most of us got that experience as prelims. The point of a senior resident doing an ICU rotation is to learn not to do scut work, as goes with all interdepartmental politics who do you think would be doing the scut work if the EM senior resident shows up for a month long rotation? Do you really think the medicine folks will let the ED resident lead a team of IM interns? In my experience at other institutions when the third or fourth year EM resident did an off service rotation, they were relegated to just above med student status. By not having direct patient care responsibilities, it is up to the resident to get what they want out of it. The policy allows you to not be "pushed around" but also gives you the freedom to be as proactive as possible, allowing you to do all the lines, tubes and procedures you'd like.

emmd06

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Maybe it's my critical-care-intensive program speaking, but I have found patient care responsibilities on off-service rotations an extremely important part of my residency training thus far. Hell, I am currently post-call in the ICU, and I would still say it's a "critical" experience.

I also know Jacobi, and I don't think I'd worry about a lack of patient care responsibilities there. You get plenty of exposure to the whole Jacobi experience if you spend even 1 week as an intern on their medicine floors. I did most of my internal medicine months as a med student there. They would not prevent anyone from seeing patients or tolerate anything but complete involvement on the part of off-service rotators.

paramed2premed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Nutmeg State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Do you really think the medicine folks will let the ED resident lead a team of IM interns?

First of all, thank you for all the reviews and perspective. It's been invaluable for me, especiallly as I seem to have interviewed at many of the same places.

Second, thanks for responding to this question, which also presented itself to me one day ago. leaving me with a new neurosis for the next 3 weeks.

I just wanted to add that Yale made a point of describing their CC rotations, including a 3rd year supervising role in the MICU. Might all be BS, of course.

Lastly, Jacobi is on my list regardless. I know the new PD, and it's hard for me to imagine him putting up with pretense.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.