Last minute preparation for the Writing Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my MCAT in a few weeks and I haven't really prepared for the writing section, since it's the least important section of the MCAT (thankfully because I'm horrible at timed writing). I really need to focus on my other sections, so I won't have too much time to devote to preparing for the WS. I just want to be sure to get a somewhat decent score. Also, which letter should you at least shoot for?

My biggest problem is thinking of specific examples on the spot, the writing part isn't so bad. Are the writing scores you receive on the practice AAMC and TPR exams accurate?

Anyone have any tips for last minute preparation? The prompts that get me the most are the ones with topics in business, politics, and art.

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking my MCAT in a few weeks and I haven't really prepared for the writing section, since it's the least important section of the MCAT (thankfully because I'm horrible at timed writing). I really need to focus on my other sections, so I won't have too much time to devote to preparing for the WS. I just want to be sure to get a somewhat decent score. Also, which letter should you at least shoot for?

My biggest problem is thinking of specific examples on the spot, the writing part isn't so bad. Are the writing scores you receive on the practice AAMC and TPR exams accurate?

Anyone have any tips for last minute preparation? The prompts that get me the most are the ones with topics in business, politics, and art.

Thanks in advance!!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=222927

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)

I have a quick question about the strategy:

1. Explain the prompt.
2. Give a counterexample.
3. Determine when the prompt applies.

So, it would be good if the prompt is only three paragraphs, correct?

Also, regarding the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, let me make sure I understand it correctly. We will be given a statement and in the second paragraph, we have to write about how that statement is incorrect and provide examples, right? And in the third paragraph, we should really be providing our own opinion on the statement and determine if it's really right or wrong, correct?

Thanks

I have a quick question about the strategy:

1. Explain the prompt.
2. Give a counterexample.
3. Determine when the prompt applies.

So, it would be good if the prompt is only three paragraphs, correct?

Also, regarding the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, let me make sure I understand it correctly. We will be given a statement and in the second paragraph, we have to write about how that statement is incorrect and provide examples, right? And in the third paragraph, we should really be providing our own opinion on the statement and determine if it's really right or wrong, correct?

Thanks

3 is fine, but there are many who used their own structural format which worked for them. Also, there are different interpretations to the 3rd prompt. This link shows people who interpretted it differently, but still scored well. Specifically, posts #19-25.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=509392

:cool:

Last edited: