bearforce

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Hometown: Upstate NY,
Status
Pre-Medical
The weakest part of my application is my lack of significant clinical experience. :(
3. Your understanding about the admission committees attitudes toward applicant who lack clinical experience.

Thank you:)
Also check out my MDapp 17641, (tell me what you think)

TooMuchResearch

i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Townsville, USA
Status
Attending Physician
The weakest part of my application is my lack of significant clinical experience. :(
3. Your understanding about the admission committees attitudes toward applicant who lack clinical experience.

Thank you:)
Also check out my MDapp 17641, (tell me what you think)
I really don't know how much clinical experience is enough (I think it's more about what you get out of the experience), but if you're almost totally lacking, you could always wait a year to apply. You can't really get any good last minute volunteering.

dingyibvs

Psych!
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
I really don't know how much clinical experience is enough (I think it's more about what you get out of the experience), but if you're almost totally lacking, you could always wait a year to apply. You can't really get any good last minute volunteering.

Yea, I think a lack of clinical experience really hurt me this year. It doesn't help that I neglected to put my other EC activities on the application either...

johncalvin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Quick glance through your application (31+ MCAT, URM, 100% fluent in Spanish, patent[ftw!]) you'll do fine, even with little clinical exposure.

However, you will be hit hard during interviews with "Why medicine? Do you know enough about medicine?"

You can brush up on shadowing in the next couple of weeks. Even though shadowing can't replace clinical volunteering, it's a high-density way to expose yourself to the medical field.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
Last minute clinical volunteering will be looked at negatively because it will appear that you've just thrown together this desire to be a physician in your last year. However, it's the only real chance you've got right now (well, it doesn't have to be clinical volunteering but you need to get something clinically related. Shadowing must be done if you can't get clinical volunteering, ideally both).

It's actually less difficult than people would have you think to get last minute clinical volunteering opportunities. You just have to be vigilant.

1) Contact hospitals in your area and see what their policies/requirements are for volunteering
2) Contact any clinics (free clinics, downtown clinics, things like that) and see if they need any help
3) Talk to anyone you shadow and see if they have a position for you to volunteer at and if not, ask if they know where you could get volunteering opportunities.

One of these will very likely land you a volunteering spot. Once there, just pound out the time. Yeah, it'd be nice if you had done this all sooner but none of that really matters now.

OP
bearforce

bearforce

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Hometown: Upstate NY,
Status
Pre-Medical
Last minute clinical volunteering will be looked at negatively because it will appear that you've just thrown together this desire to be a physician in your last year. However, it's the only real chance you've got right now (well, it doesn't have to be clinical volunteering but you need to get something clinically related. Shadowing must be done if you can't get clinical volunteering, ideally both).

It's actually less difficult than people would have you think to get last minute clinical volunteering opportunities. You just have to be vigilant.

1) Contact hospitals in your area and see what their policies/requirements are for volunteering
2) Contact any clinics (free clinics, downtown clinics, things like that) and see if they need any help
3) Talk to anyone you shadow and see if they have a position for you to volunteer at and if not, ask if they know where you could get volunteering opportunities.

One of these will very likely land you a volunteering spot. Once there, just pound out the time. Yeah, it'd be nice if you had done this all sooner but none of that really matters now.
Great advice everyone, I actually changed my mind, i thought i wanted MD/PhD until quite recently
I will take your advice.

xmsr3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I am worried as well about last minute volunteering.

I started volunteering at my local ER in June 2008, this is also when I began shadowing ER docs. Will that be counted against me as "last minute"?

Cro

lulz
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
I am worried as well about last minute volunteering.

I started volunteering at my local ER in June 2008, this is also when I began shadowing ER docs. Will that be counted against me as "last minute"?
No. Last minute is like within the last three months.

runrunrudolph1

trauma surgery
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I met with an adcom at the my #1 choice and she told me that they will not offer an interview to ANYONE that has not done clinical volunteering.:scared: for the consideration, this is a pretty decent tier school....

if there is a way you can get even a few hours in I would do it.

YouNeverKnow22

7+ Year Member
May 14, 2009
Grey Street
Status
Pre-Medical
I met with an adcom at the my #1 choice and she told me that they will not offer an interview to ANYONE that has not done clinical volunteering.:scared: for the consideration, this is a pretty decent tier school....

if there is a way you can get even a few hours in I would do it.
I think you and me are just fine as far as clinical experience goes :)