Last month of study...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So this is my situation. My test date is June 13. I'm currently preparing for my last 3 finals of my college career. My last one ends on the 16th. I am pretty sure that from now till the 16th, I will NOT be studying for my MCAT.

I started Kaplan in Jan and ended some time in April. Since then, I have not studied at all.

My last AAMC test was a 29 (9BS-10verbal-9PS). My first diag (kaplan) was a 24 (8-8-8). Those are the ONLY two diagnostic tests that I have taken. Given my time table, would working REALLY hard from the 17th till test date be sufficient for me to score above a 30? Keep in mind, I went up 5 points on my diagnostic with minimal studying. I just use the techniques and approach taught by Kaplan.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So this is my situation. My test date is June 13. I'm currently preparing for my last 3 finals of my college career. My last one ends on the 16th. I am pretty sure that from now till the 16th, I will NOT be studying for my MCAT.

I started Kaplan in Jan and ended some time in April. Since then, I have not studied at all.

My last AAMC test was a 29 (9BS-10verbal-9PS). My first diag (kaplan) was a 24 (8-8-8). Those are the ONLY two diagnostic tests that I have taken. Given my time table, would working REALLY hard from the 17th till test date be sufficient for me to score above a 30? Keep in mind, I went up 5 points on my diagnostic with minimal studying. I just use the techniques and approach taught by Kaplan.

Thanks!

I studied almost 2 weeks and got >30. You just better be dedicated to review everything and start taking AAMCs. Only your AAMC CBTs will let you know how prepared you are. I actually scored the avg of the 7 CBT's I took.

Wow, I am pretty much in the exact same scenario. I did about the same on the diagnostic but I have not done any AAMC tests yet. I am going to study hardcore from the 17th/18th until test day. I hope that will be enough, I think it will be. What is your plan for studying?

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Well my approach in the coming weeks leading up to test time would probably consist of:

Taking all quizzes, topical tests, subject tests, and practice test on Kaplan.
I will also take whatever AAMC I have available to me. My thinking is...taking 2 AAMC test per day is overkill and it may possibly negatively influence my performance, psychological wellbeing, and confidence.

My plan is to build stamina and improve timing by doing more passages from my EK books and Kaplan material. I'll spend each weekend taking an AAMC test.

Also, since I have close to 4 weeks. I will probably spend 1.5-2 weeks initially working on contents and brushing up on the basics. The last 2 weeks will be devoted to building stamina and working on my strategies...

Any other suggestions? I hope it works!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

So this is my situation...........

My last AAMC test was a 29 (9BS-10verbal-9PS). My first diag (kaplan) was a 24 (8-8-8). . . I went up 5 points on my diagnostic with minimal studying.
I'd say if you work on your basic math skills :)laugh: ) and get a little studying in, its definitely possible.

I was in the same situation as you are about two weeks ago. I take MCAT the May 31. In total, I had about 5 weeks of studying before the MCAT. So far, I have been studying an average of 7 hrs per day (sometimes I do a lot, sometimes, not so much). I'm pretty solid on content and have been taking practice tests this whole time (KAPLAN and AAMC). Right now I'm scoring in the high 30s. So, yes, I think you can do it! =) Even if you are not a good test taker I think you can bone up on content and also pick up some good strategies to do well on test day. You'll be surprised be how much your score improves by studying the content!

However, I haven't taken the actual MCAT yet so I wouldn't take my advice over someone who has experienced the test. I'm a little nervous whether my scores will transfer to the real MCAT.

I'm glad to hear other people are doing well after studying for about a month before their test. It has been really hard getting ready for the test while keeping up in my course work. I plan to do all the content stuff on Kaplan first and do section tests. I'll probably save the AAMC tests for the weekends. Do you map on the verbal section? I have heard different things about the mapping.

IMO, you really don't have enough time to map. I have always followed examkrackers verbal method. Actively read the passage and thoroughly criticize the author along the way and set up a main idea in your head.

Thanks, I will skip the mapping on my next few verbal sections and see how it goes. Do you find that Kaplan's verbal section tests are pretty similar to the ones on the real MCAT?