last month to take mcat for 2008 admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan1997

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so what is the last official month/date to take the mcat and still be considered for 2008 matriculation? can you take it in august and still be considered, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

most schools are saying august, especially since the application deadline at many schools is oct 15 or nov 1.

ok, i am planning on taking it in july but thought about august to be better prepared but also wanted to apply for 2008 cycle and questioned whether or not august would be in time. so i should be ok for 08 admissions even if i take mcat in august,good to know. has anyone heard any different???

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as a heads up, the information above regarding August being the latest that you can take the MCAT is incorrect. You WANT to take the MCAT as early as possible without jeopardizing your score.

That said, scores from the new September 7-8 administrations will actually be sent to Med Schools earlier than the old August scores used to be, so you can technically take those. Even more, some schools are allowing January scores of the following year to be considered, although these are being used for borderline cases where the MCAT score is not as high, and the school would prefer a stronger score.

Remember that although the MCAT testing times have changed to give you more choice, Medical school admissions have not. In a recent conference of medical school deans, many admissions deans admitted starting to dish out interviews in July. They do this because they want to start sending ACCEPTANCES on October 15th (yes the deadline that most people look towards for submitting their applications). Oct. 15th is the AAMC mandated earliest date that AAMC schools can send acceptances to students they like. So if you're in so la la land where you think sending your application in on October 15th makes it just as competitive, try hand delivering it to the school and see how many people are already returning their acceptances around that time :)

Hope this information is helpful.