coralfangs

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
i have received different opinions from 2 friends, just wanna hear more

well, when you are talking about your childhood, should u use simpler terms to describe things?

asunshine

can't sing but i got soul
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
i wouldn't think so. it's hard to say without actually reading it.

jstuds_66

Free cat to a good home
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
USA
Status
Attending Physician
Make it simple enough to make it flow, but choose your words wisely.

About the Ads
OP
coralfangs

coralfangs

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
i want to describe my experience in the lab at my mom's hospital, right?
one of the lab tech told me to press my hand against a petri dish and later observe the bacteria culture
i was like woh, so many worms
mom said, those are responsible for your tummyache

i mean
if i wrote in my essay that i saw bacteria when i was a kid, they would think i am BSing
of cuz, i thought those were worms
likewise i wouldnt know anything about stomache or abdominal pain, all i knew was that my tummy hurt.....

Lanced

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Status
coralfangs said:
i want to describe my experience in the lab at my mom's hospital, right?
one of the lab tech told me to press my hand against a petri dish and later observe the bacteria culture
i was like woh, so many worms
mom said, those are responsible for your tummyache

i mean
if i wrote in my essay that i saw bacteria when i was a kid, they would think i am BSing
of cuz, i thought those were worms
likewise i wouldnt know anything about stomache or abdominal pain, all i knew was that my tummy hurt.....
I would just describe the scene. Your first example is obviously inappropriately worded but you're trying to capture your understanding as a little kid. How about something like "...the colonies of bacteria looked like worms to me...my mother explained how certain kinds are responsible for my recent tummache..." after introducing the fact that you're describing a scene in which you are 10 years old or whatever. You could also use quotes, I just would lay off the little kid talk, even if that's how you thought at that time -- explain that you thought like that don't literally say it.

About the Ads