nishariz

15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
Status
I'm a first year and have an interest in Emergency Medicine. I always hear how important it is to do EM research to land a good residency during the summer between my first and second years. However, I also hear that this is the last summer vacation that I will ever have. Any suggestions?

tupac_don

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Status
nishariz said:
I'm a first year and have an interest in Emergency Medicine. I always hear how important it is to do EM research to land a good residency during the summer between my first and second years. However, I also hear that this is the last summer vacation that I will ever have. Any suggestions?
Take a summer vacation. EM residencies are not that tough to get, and I would only do research if you want to go to Harvard or something. Otherwise just concentrate on getting as good grades as possible and getting best USMLE step I score as possible. If you want to have research under your belt at all costs, I would suggest to do a review paper. Those are pretty easy to write and you can say you did research. You can do that over your summer break, without it eating too much in your time. Best of luck.

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
I'm doing doing "EM wilderness medicine research" (read, hiking on the appalachian trail with my best friend all summer). The thing about EM residencies is that there aren't really any bad ones. Plus something like 93% of EM seniors match. If you like research do it but otherwise enjoy yourself.

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
nishariz said:
I am going through the EM match this year. I got eight interviews which they tell me is the critical mass to almost guarantee a match and I have never done a lick o' research in my life and (except for the mandatory research requirement at most programs) I don't plan on doing any in the future.

I think it was my low class rank and only average board scores that kept me from getting more interviews, not lack of research. Emergency Medicine is somewhat competative.

I don't know who told you it was important to do research to match in EM. It certainly couldn't hurt but it is probably no more or less imortant than it is for any other specialty.

Enjoy your summer. You have a long way to go before fourth year where it would probably be more productive to have good grades, good board scores, and a solid away rotation or two at programs in which you have an interest.

Good Lord, research is improtant but I think it would be fair to say that just as most normal medical students didn't volunteer on a medical mission to the Congo, most normal medical students didn't do any research either.

Termwean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Status
Attending Physician
Panda,
You'll have fun if you do the EKL EM residency, I work w/ those guys alot ( I'm a respiratory therapist)and they enjoy themselves for the most part, as far as residents can...some cool rotations ...Acadian Life Flight, I think it is awesome being "on-scene."

Thanks for all of your advice...I hope you match in Baton Rouge( that is your top choice, right?).

jamie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Status
nishariz said:
If you think this will be your last "summer vacation", you obviously haven't talked to many fourth year students...

heldicus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
The Nati
Visit site
Status
According to the residency director here at Cincinnati, there is 1 EM spot for every 6 applicants, making it one of the most competitive non-surg specialties. That doesn't necessarily mean that research is a must, but your application has to jump out at some point. She said this year's rank list had an average step I score of 235.

UTCobra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
Status
Tupac_Don,

Have you done a review paper before? I never thought of this, but it would be an easy way to get a research paper or 2 under your belt, before schools out. And if you have, who did you go about talking to for this?

UTCobra

P.S. I remember my Biochem prof/advisor used to right a review paper or 2 every year since he never really did any bench research (I don't think he cared to either, he was an admin guy.)

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
heldicus said:
According to the residency director here at Cincinnati, there is 1 EM spot for every 6 applicants, making it one of the most competitive non-surg specialties. That doesn't necessarily mean that research is a must, but your application has to jump out at some point. She said this year's rank list had an average step I score of 235.
Let me clarify something. There are six applicants for every one spot at Cincinnatis's program. Most EM residency programs interview between six and ten times as many applicants as they have spots. Omaha, for example, (A program which I really liked) interviewed 47 people to fill six spots last year. (I'm going by the information on the AMA-FRIEDA web site.)

All this means is that you might not match at your highest ranked program. Since 93 percent of applicants going through the EM match successfully match, obviously there are spots for the great majority of people who want to specialize in Emergency Medicine, even if they match near or at the bottom of their rank list.

On the other hand, 80 percent of applicants match in their top three, even if there are six applicants to every spot. This is because everybody ranks programs differently.

My point is that while EM is competative, it is not hopeless for the "average" student. Of course, there is an element of self-selection involved in all competative specialties which is what keeps non-AOA student from even thinking about Opthamology. I could have, for example, applied to every Optho program in America and not gotten any interviews.

On the other hand, if you do get enough interviews, even in a competative specialty, you will probably match because among other things the programs that interviewed you obviously think you are a potential resident at their programs.

Bottom line, if the pool of applicants all get eight or more interviews, and the programs all interview eight or so people for each spot, mathematically it all works out in your favor for a match.

God, I hope so.

Apparently this is why you need to interview at seven or eight programs to reach the critical mass required to almost (almost...I'll let you know in three weeks) guarantee a match somewhere.

If I am wrong about this I will accept correcton humbly and without rancor.

Oh, and I believe www.Scutwork.com has a link to the Match Algorithm. Go check it out for some insight into the arcane workings of the match. (Actually, the algorithm is simple, easy to understand, and elegant.)

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
I also want to add that some EM programs are more competative than others. Duke, for example, interviewed 230 people (I am told) to fill a roster of eight (I believe).

If you're an average student like me with average grades, decent but not spectacular board scores, but good EM rotation grades, good letters, and an interesting CV (which I do have) you might not get interviews at the prestigious programs but you will get interviews.

As much as I like Baton Rouge, El Paso, and Omaha, I am pretty sure that the heavy hitters in the applicant pool are concentrating their energy elsewhere. (Which is their loss as these are all solid programs). If they interviewed at any of these programs, they are probably using them as "back ups" and will likely match higher on their list. Baton rouge is my first choice and I really, really want to go there but some guy from Wake Forest might not feel the same way.

I was skunked in the entire state of North Carolina after applying to every program there. I actually applied to 25 programs. Vanderbilt sent me two rejection notices, the second to presumably make sure I was really dead. (In the Marines we call this double-tapping)

saanjana

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hmmm....my advice would be to take the summer off....I think people are right when they say this is your last "real" summer vacation.....