Last Week Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarolinaGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I realize some people have talked about this in other threads but I found it really generic and it did not answer my question.

I read that you should stop studying several days before the MCAT? Is this true, a good idea, do you guys plan to do this? Why or why not?

April 16th countdown begins- 2wks from today:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard its a good idea.. but I'd be stressed over stopping for TOO many days. I plan on retaking AAMC 3R to boost my confidence on Friday or Saturday (4/13 or 4/14) and then stop studying until I test on the 16th.

I'm taking it on the 7th (less than 6 days!!) and I will definitely take a break for at least a whole day before the test. That's what works for me.

After one written then one CBT experience I would say that it's not the best idea to completely abandon all MCAT material 2-3 days before the test. I basically did this the first time around and, I believe, is one of the reasons that I didn't perform well enough to not retake.

It's a good idea to not test yourself (FL's, section tests, etc...) a couple days before the exam just to avoid freakouts. I spent the last two days reviewing essential flashcards and going through a notebook of all my mistakes/"stuff I need to look at again" that I had compiled over the past few months. I went with the Kaplan mentality of, at this point in the game, its best to ready your strong points than try to fix your weak points.

The idea was to have everything that I needed to know floating around in my head or on the tip of my tongue for test day.

But as always, it varies person to person.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my experience over the past 10 minutes, I think the best advice is not to read the January 10th Scores thread!

Great, now I am about to look at the January 10th scores thread.....

thanks for the reverse psychology :)

The day before your exam I wouldn't do anything. Just relax. Go for a long run, listen to music, watch your favorite movie, do anything that will allow you to relax and be able to fall asleep fast as well (an additional plus for running).

If you are taking the morning exam, I would get up at the time you plan on waking the day of, and go to bed at the exact same time. After a couple days, your body will be in a nice rhythm, and getting up the day of will be easy and you'll be more alert.

I'm months away from taking the MCAT. But my plan is not to study a week from the the actual test date except for looking over some notes, concepts and fundamental equations. An extra "push" during the last few days won't significantly change your score. You've done all you could up to that point and it's either you know the material or you don't. Relaxing will do more good for your frame of mind and lower your stress levels prior to the test.

A friend of mine was nuts and kept studying until the 11th hour. I invited her to come along to a party the evening before she was to take the MCAT on her 2nd try. She refused since she thought the extra few hours of studying would help. It didn't because she ended up going to a Carribean med-school.

Good luck on your exam :) :luck: