Last week of July and 0 acceptances thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threeeyedfrog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have come to truly believe that misery loves company as I sit in my room and study for the MCAT while all my premed friends from my uber-prestigious undergrad school have their med school acceptances in hand.

Who else has no acceptances and approximately 1-2 weeks before all hope for the Class of 2009 dies? (I can't possibly be alone here, can I?)

Members don't see this ad.

threeeyedfrog said:
I have come to truly believe that misery loves company as I sit in my room and study for the MCAT while all my premed friends from my uber-prestigious undergrad school have their med school acceptances in hand.

Who else has no acceptances and approximately 1-2 weeks before all hope for the Class of 2009 dies? (I can't possibly be alone here, can I?)

feeling your pain, 2 waitlists, 0 acceptances...

Count me in, too. 1 waitlist, 0 acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
threeeyedfrog said:

I'm feelin ya man...cept my hope of class of 2009 died when I designated MD/PhD for 18 of 20 schools and wasnt truely ready. 18 of 20 schools rejected me outright, 2 interviewed me. I'm on 2 waitlists, and have seen movement in both of them (someone I work with got accepted off the waitlist in May to one of my waitlist schools which has become my #1 choice).

AMCAS 2006 was submitted June 30th
Processed July 13th
3 secondaries submitted
2 secondaries are waiting for a picture of me and a paycheck so that I can afford the fees
1 secondary waiting to be filled out
8 schools that havent said so much as a peep about my AMCAS

4 of 6 LOR's have been sent into my committee office and as soon as the other two get in, my committee letter can be written and sent out to all of the schools on my list and then I can get another few interviews and hopefully accepted somewhere (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!) Dont worry, the second time is alot easier than the first!

j04177117 said:
feeling your pain, 2 waitlists, 0 acceptances...

I also have 2 wait-lists...I used to have 3, but fortunately for my sanity, one of the schools rejected me off the wait-list.

To keep busy (and procrastinate MCAT studying), I wrote a mock lor from my dog to the admissions committee at one of my schools (i.e. a letter from the dog's perspective). I showed it to my sister who said "the only place you can get into with that letter is a mental hospital!" It was really funny though...maybe I should send it in now? j/k

Can I join this "hopeless but do not lose hope" club? 1 waitlist, 0 acceptance... sad sad sad but...hey...there's still hope for next year, right?

(go back to study for my MCAT now)

count me in as well, 1 waiting list, 0 acceptances

any of you guys from Texas? tell me how weird it is to get waitlisted at UT Southwestern and get rejected by San Antonio and Houston

i havent been able to figure it out.....

you should share that lore for a dog, bring some humor to this thread

koonman said:
count me in as well, 1 waiting list, 0 acceptances

any of you guys from Texas? tell me how weird it is to get waitlisted at UT Southwestern and get rejected by San Antonio and Houston

i havent been able to figure it out.....

you should share that lore for a dog, bring some humor to this thread

You have to know my dog to really appreciate this but here's a modified version of what I wrote:

Dear (Admissions Committeee Chair's name)

My name is Louie and I don't have and AMCAS ID number. I am writing about my mommy, threeeyedfrog even though she didn't list me as a dependent on her AMCAS application.

I have known Ms. threeeyedfrog quite intimately for the past 4 months and I can honestly say that she should go to your medical school. Even though she sometimes upsets me by cleaning my eye gooies, I know she would be a good doctor. For example, we have been studying for the MCAT together for the past several weeks. I help keep her motivated by opening her notebooks with my nose when she closes them.

Also, Ms. threeeyedfrog has already done several good things. She has fed, clothed, and babooshkad (yiddish word for babied) me all summer. I especially think she should get in because I went to her interview with her and I gave your medical school complimentary gardening from my natural water supply. (He was in the car when my mom dropped me off and he peed on the campus! I was mortified at the time). Not only did this save you money, but it made your medical school stand out from your competitors, who did not benefit from my generosity. I promise to continue my gardening efforts if only you people would accept my mommy to your school.

Lastly, I don't mean to sound threatening, but I'm a mean little man at heart and if she does not get in, I will come over there and yell my head off at all of you. I'm not bluffing. I have a lot of pent up anger and a mouth who's smell can only be likened to that of sewage. Therefore, you are left with two options. You can either accepted my mommy, Ms. Threeeyedfrog and receive complimentary gardening from an expert in the field or you can reject my mommy and bear the wrath of my anger. Here's a preview of option 2: RAHRAHRAHKKKKKKKKKKKKKRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRA!

You're all smart doctors and I'm sure you'll choose wisely. For your assistance, I have enclosed some complimentary fertilizer in this note.

Most sincerely and respectfully,

Louie, the dog
Gardener to the Stars

threeeyedfrog said:

1 waitlist, 0 acceptances.

I've already submitted my AMCAS and started filling out secondaries. I figure since the school hasn't accepted anyone from the waitlist, it's probably not going to happen. I'd rather get this stuff in early unlike last year where I didn't get my applications complete at schools until late December. I'm amazed I still got interviews after getting my stuff in that late. :laugh:

threeeyedfrog said:
You have to know my dog to really appreciate this but here's a modified version of what I wrote:

My name is Louie and I don't have and AMCAS ID number. I am writing about my mommy, threeeyedfrog even though she didn't list me as a dependent on her AMCAS application.

I have known Ms. threeeyedfrog quite intimately for the past 4 months and I can honestly say that she should go to your medical school. Even though she sometimes upsets me by cleaning my eye gooies, I know she would be a good doctor. For example, we have been studying for the MCAT together for the past several weeks. I help keep her motivated by opening her notebooks with my nose when she closes them.

Also, Ms. threeeyedfrog has already done several good things. She has fed, clothed, and babooshkad (yiddish word for babied) me all summer. I especially think she should get in because I went to her interview with her and I gave your medical school complimentary gardening from my natural water supply. (He was in the car when my mom dropped me off and he peed on the campus! I was mortified at the time). Not only did this save you money, but it made your medical school stand out from your competitors, who did not benefit from my generosity. I promise to continue my gardening efforts if only you people would accept my mommy to your school.

Lastly, I don't mean to sound threatening, but I'm a mean little man at heart and if she does not get in, I will come over there and yell my head off at all of you. I'm not bluffing. I have a lot of pent up anger and a mouth who's smell can only be likened to that of sewage. Therefore, you are left with two options. You can either accepted my mommy, Ms. Threeeyedfrog and receive complimentary gardening from an expert in the field or you can reject my mommy and bear the wrath of my anger. Here's a preview of option 2: RAHRAHRAHKKKKKKKKKKKKKRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRA!

You're all smart doctors and I'm sure you'll choose wisely. For your assistance, I have enclosed some complimentary fertilizer in this note.

Louie, the dog
Gardener to the Stars

ROFLMAO! :laugh: Thanks for sharing and good luck to you, threeeyedfrog! :luck:

Also in the 1 waitlist, no love club. How many of y'all are re-applying for 2006 . . . waiting until next year to re-apply . . . . taking the MCAT again next month? Best of Luck for the next week :luck: :luck:

threeeyedfrog said:

Don't give up hope you guys. I just recently asked for a deferment from the University of Colorado which was granted today so some lucky person will be starting orientation in 2 weeks. I wish you all luck since I was in your position once upon a time, but remember that persistent and perserverance do pay off in the end. :luck:

Hi. I'm right there with ya'll. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Wahooali said:
Hi. I'm right there with ya'll. :(

Master Yoda. You're here. Now you will feel the full power of the Dark Side!

Me too! 1 waitlist, 0 acceptances! :scared:

haha, thats pretty humorous. Thanks for sharing

threeeyedfrog said:

Louie, the dog
Gardener to the Stars

Well, I just found out Im S.O.L for c/o 2009. To ice the proverbial cake someone I interviewed with is in the aforementioned class. My Best to the rest of y'all. :mad:

2 WL; 0 acceptance...this sucks...oh well, here is to another application cycle and if nothing by november, beginning to re-learn 4 years of school to take the mcat in april again and re-apply the following year! ug...any of you wl'ers got an mdapps? i am trying to figure out how far out i am....3.86total, 3.91 BCMP, 28Q ...i know 28 isnt great, but if an average to a school is 30, 50% above and 50% below, no? Wouldnt other experiences/gpa help out too?

threeeyedfrog said:

Louie, the dog
Gardener to the Stars

HAHA best LOR ever.

When did all of you waitlisters apply? Do you think that it was the late application that hurt you?

I'm reapplying as well, and prepping for the MCAT in August. But I didn't get on any waitlists, I just got the rejections.

Here's hoping the waitlists finally move for ya'll. All I've been hearing about is how slow they are this summer. Maybe it'll pick up in the last few weeks!

DrMike24 said:
When did all of you waitlisters apply? Do you think that it was the late application that hurt you?

I didn't get my applications complete until late December because I was waiting on a couple letters of recommendation (long story). The school I'm waitlisted at told me I would have been accepted had I applied a few months earlier. :mad:

Of course, interviewing in early May didn't help matters since the class was already full by this point.

Hi, my name is Darko, and I have zero acceptances as well. "Hi, Darko."

I am on wait lists at Wayne State, Jeff, and Tulane -- although I still have a shot, in some ways I wish they'd reject me so I can find out what went wrong ASAP.

What are you all doing differently next time around? I'm banking on a better MCAT and some work experience as a research assistant or nursing assistant.

DrMike24 said:

I finally got everything out by october, thanks to my pre-med committee who wasnt sure if I was applying and didnt feel the need to ask me until the middle of september, still agrivated about that one!!! Oh, and I applied MD/PhD to schools that were out of my league. Oh well, what's another 3 grand and a year of my life and a few years off of my life from commuting/work/interviewing stress/beer?

So this time around I'm
a) applying early
b) not applying to MD/PhD programs
c) hounding my premed committee secretary/advisor to make sure everythings up to date
d) not pigeonholing myself into a very narrow field
e) making my application about being a physician instead of a scientist
f) applying to more of the realistic schools (MA residents dont get into Cali schools)
g) slowly killing myself with 16 hour work days (3 commuting+8 working+5 application work)

who ever decided to call this a "year off" should be beaten with the stack of my application papers from last year (better put them to good use!)

LJDHC05 said:
who ever decided to call this a "year off" should be beaten with the stack of my application papers from last year (better put them to good use!)

:laugh: I agree. The term "year off" describes exactly what it's not.

As for me, I am still on two waitlists, hoping and praying for an acceptance this year. I would have liked to "honeymoon" for at least a month (i.e., bask in the glory of an acceptance before actually starting med school). But at this point, I would be ecstatic if I got a call the week before orientation and had to scramble. It would be the most hectic time of my life, but happiest nonetheless.

2 WL (the 3rd one already closed), 0 acceptances, submitting tonight :mad: Aghhhhhhh, I can't believe I'm going through this cr@p again :mad: But again, last cycle I took the Aug MCAT and was not complete until mid to late october, so maybe this year things will go better by applying MUCH earlier. GL to all!!!! (I already lost all the hope for this year :oops: )

good luck to all of you out there! it must be very frustrating, but have strength and turn your energies into reapplying! :luck: :luck:

1 waitlist. 0 acceptances.

I'm almost done with AMCAS and I'll probably fill out the AACOMAS too.

Hey guys,
waitlisted at Wayne State, SLU, and Drexel. Since they all start next Monday I'm pretty sure it's over...
I'm not reapplying for 2006 I just graduated and have nothing to put on my resume! How does going to Israel as a volunteer EMT and then working in a hospital sound?
I applied to Sackler in Tel Aviv for 2006 but I'm not touching the AMCAS until next year. If I have to I'll do a masters at Wayne or Drexel does this mean I have to take the GRE? This sucks.

berry said:
Hey guys,
waitlisted at Wayne State, SLU, and Drexel. Since they all start next Monday I'm pretty sure it's over...
I'm not reapplying for 2006 I just graduated and have nothing to put on my resume! How does going to Israel as a volunteer EMT and then working in a hospital sound?
I applied to Sackler in Tel Aviv for 2006 but I'm not touching the AMCAS until next year. If I have to I'll do a masters at Wayne or Drexel does this mean I have to take the GRE? This sucks.

It depends on the Masters. Some SMPs will take MCAT scores in lieu of the GRE since they're intended to make you more competitive for medical school.

2 waitlists, 0 acceptances. Toying with the list of schools to resubmit for class of 2010, but mostly I'm procrastinating and trying not to rewrite the PS (Arg!).

Question for those of you who are a few years out of undergrad and your school has a letter-writing committee: at what point do you scrap the committee and get more recent LORs on your own? They would be so much more representative of who I am now but will schools not like that?

Good to hear I am not alone. I am on four waitlists (well only three that are still accepting). Just wrote what will by my final update letter, telling them that I am ready to put all plans aside and start attending their school this next week... I am also putting off submitting my 2006 AMCAS. I have about ten rough drafts of my personal statement in the works and imagine i'll submit this next week. Wish all of you best of luck.

No acceptances,four waitlists, (five if you count UHSUS) and I couldn't feel worse. After I recieved a handful of interviews I felt that I was guarenteed a place somewhere. However, nothing is certain in this wonderful wonderful process :mad:

I have already re-applied to seven schools, I am waiting for more secondaries to drift in. I am making sure I apply much sooner this year. I finished my primary on october 15th last year, when the MCAT scores were released from the August MCAT.

Fusion said:
:laugh: I agree. The term "year off" describes exactly what it's not.

As for me, I am still on two waitlists, hoping and praying for an acceptance this year. I would have liked to "honeymoon" for at least a month (i.e., bask in the glory of an acceptance before actually starting med school). But at this point, I would be ecstatic if I got a call the week before orientation and had to scramble. It would be the most hectic time of my life, but happiest nonetheless.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I joined this thread one day too soon. I got the call this morning - I'm in!

Hang in there guys. :luck:

Congrats, Fusion! Something tells me you'll still enjoy basking in the glow, even if it is only a few short days. :cool:
Here's hoping the rest of us can be so lucky.

Fusion said:
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I joined this thread one day too soon. I got the call this morning - I'm in!

Hang in there guys. :luck:

Hey where did you get in?????????? CONGRATS :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I recall you telling me through PM, a long time back, that you were waitlisted some places, and also recall reading your drama with the MCAT, and about going through SMP and what not.

I'm glad all your persistence worked out. :thumbup: :thumbup:

gujuDoc said:
Hey where did you get in?????????? CONGRATS :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I recall you telling me through PM, a long time back, that you were waitlisted some places, and also recall reading your drama with the MCAT, and about going through SMP and what not.

I'm glad all your persistence worked out. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks klp14 and gujudoc. Yes, it certainly has been an eventful 7 years since graduating from college. Thankfully, EVMS has given me the chance to fulfill my dream.

Fusion said:
Thanks klp14 and gujudoc. Yes, it certainly has been an eventful 7 years since graduating from college. Thankfully, EVMS has given me the chance to fulfill my dream.

Ah, I see. Good luck.