Late Applicant Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted682435

Late applicant seeking some advice.

My primary should be verified no later than the 20th of September. Secondaries would be completed by then as well.

ECs
D-1 Athlete - several AD awards
100+ hours shadowing various specialties
200+ Hours non clinical community service
Interesting Work Experience
Some Leadership Experience
Phi Beta Kappa

GPA 3.9

Update: Just got my MCAT back. Got an even spread 520.

Question: Even if the MCAT comes back and I killed it (a big if), should I go ahead and send out applications this cycle? Or do you guys think it will end badly for me? Applying MD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you've done research and have the desire to go to one of the big research schools, I would suggest waiting until next year. Gap years are really a good experience.

If you want to go to med school at your state school and everything in @gyngyn's post is in order, then maybe it would be worthwhile. I don't think you would regret not applying, but you could end up regretting applying. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
@gyngyn What do you mean by modern software?

Sorry, I'm new around here.
The reason many late applicants get no traction, even at schools where they are a prime target, has to do with archaic data processing. If your state school is using paper to process applications the odds that a late application will never get interviewed (or viewed!) goes way up.

Beyond the issue of software what state do you live in? How lucky of a state you live in matters a good bit as well(ie there is a huge difference between say CA and MS/WV/ND/Ark types). But yes gyngyn raises valid concerns and one where it can be hard to get a clear answer on.

Unfortunately, my state school is not really going to be feasible for me.

I was hoping to attend a mid-level, more research oriented schools. From what has been said, it seems like my chances have taken a big hit at those.

Unfortunately, my state school is not really going to be feasible for me.

I was hoping to attend a mid-level, more research oriented schools. From what has been said, it seems like my chances have taken a big hit at those.

It's probably in your best interest to wait a year. There is no discussion about mid tier and upper level schools(the vast majority of which for both have 35+ median MCATs) without an actual real MCAT score. Even if we make the somewhat generous assumption you get the score you got on your AAMC practice test that is a score in the 33-34 equivalent range which while not fatal for big research powerhouses or middle tiers is below the median.

Note there is a reason gyngyn focused on your state school. If you are applying this late really that's where your odds are by far the best at and if that's not an option for you then applying this late puts you in a bind(particularly when your goal is very competitive schools).

It's probably in your best interest to wait a year. There is no discussion about mid tier and upper level schools(the vast majority of which for both have 35+ median MCATs) without an actual real MCAT score. Even if we make the somewhat generous assumption you get the score you got on your AAMC practice test that is a score in the 33-34 equivalent range which while not fatal for big research powerhouses or middle tiers is below the median.

Note there is a reason gyngyn focused on your state school. If you are applying this late really that's where your odds are by far the best at and if that's not an option for you then applying this late puts you in a bind(particularly when your goal is very competitive schools).

Yeah I understand. I'm not one to count on miracles, but I'll come back with an MCAT score on the 18th. Hopefully we can have a better discussion then.
Thanks for helping out.

Guess I should get to thinking on some possible gap year activities now!

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of D1 athlete? Major or minor sport? What are AD awards? Any other color on this in general?

Very high GPA + D1 athlete + high or unexpectedly higher MCAT score might get your app near the top of some piles.

Ah and thus spoke Zarathustra!

Well its not basketball or football but not an obscure sport either. Program is nationally ranked in the top twenty.

AD awards are just athletic department awards for athletic achievement, academics etc.

Nothing exciting, but they are meaningful as far as my school is concerned.

Just updated with my MCAT. If someone (@GrapesofRath ??) could shed a little more light on things now. Worth applying to a mid-tier research school this cycle or wait it out?

Just updated with my MCAT. If someone (@GrapesofRath ??) could shed a little more light on things now. Worth applying to a mid-tier research school this cycle or wait it out?

Well a 520 is certainly quite the score. There is no clear cut answer here really.

You have outstanding stats and you certainly still have a very fair shot at getting II's this cycle even with a late app. One thing you didn't mention is if you had any research experience? Because if you don't have much and your goal is to gun for one then the answer to the question is simple; wait a year get research experience and apply next cycle with a very strong app.

IF you do have research experience gyngyn often talks of the late apps having success as those of outstanding stat applicants like you are. So the answer here is not clear cut and there are many benefits in taking a gap year but if you want to give it a go this cycle and have a solid list of lower tiers in play in addition to whatever reaches then perhaps it might be worth giving a run at it. But do realize you are definitely maximizing your odds by waiting a year.

Reactions: 1 user
I have some research experience, but nothing really impressive. I am actually going to be on a gap year this year, and I was planning on doing research in my time off. But its not going to make an impact on the admissions decision, I guess.

I really appreciate the guidance. I might try and roll the dice here and see if I can get an acceptance. I'm not sure how I feel about two years away from everything. Phew going to be a stressful year!