LATE Applicant (verified AMCAS August 14th) w/ 3.50 cGPA and 521 MCAT (38 equivalent)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0bes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: AMCAS verified August 31st

I finished and submitted all my secondaries September 12th. 521 MCAT (99th percentile or ~38 equivalent) and 3.50 cGPA with a 3.39 sGPA. AMCAS primary verified August 31st. ECs are medium, including:

-One summer of research in radiation oncology, no pub
-100 hours of clinical volunteering at a children's hospital
-One day of shadowing an ophtalmologist
-Paid employment at the moment in a psychiatry lab, publication anticipated in November for a paper in which I will be first or second author
-40 hours volunteering at the YMCA daycare
-80 hours clinical volunteering in Peru, voluntourism trip
-Worked throughout undergrad at various cafés, as well as an elementary school and the college library
-96 hours volunteering on an organic farm
-160 hours participating in a play production
-Published literary reviews in college newspapers

What do y'all think?

I applied to low and medium tier schools, which are:

The Commonwealth Medical College
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Albert Einstein
Icahn at Mount Sinai
NYU (only cos members of my family went there)
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Temple
Tufts
University of Illinois

Any chance of IIs at the higher-tier schools? WAMC?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You know you have a phenomenal MCAT score but applying to only 9 schools if you are late is not a smart move. Given your primary is already in I'd add more ASAP.

It would help to know what state you are from. But here are some that are worth consideration. Check schools 90th percentile MCAT stats: I would be a little cautious of applying to schools where you are significantly higher than their 90th percentile MCAT(say 3-4 points above it) and that are low yield in nature due to getting tons of apps(ie GW, Drexel, G-town etc). With a late application and a GPA that will be below the 10th percentile at almost all top 20 schools, I wouldn't bother with many of those reaches. Also is this your only MCAT attempt?

Tulane
Tufts
Hofstra
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Loyola
Einstein
Rochester
Medical College Wisconsin
Saint Louis
Miami
Boston U
Cincinnati
Vermont
Eastern Virginia
VCU
Oakland
Quinnipac

Last edited:
Hey there! I hadn't written all of my schools, just the ones that came to mind, but I just edited my post to include all of them. What do you think in that case? I've included basically all the ones I'm interested in + I have a chance at... but Hofstra is a great idea. You sure it's worth it to add it to my primary app this late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! I hadn't written all of my schools, just the ones that came to mind, but I just edited my post to include all of them. What do you think in that case? I've included basically all the ones I'm interested in + I have a chance at... but Hofstra is a great idea. You sure it's worth it to add it to my primary app this late?

If you haven't submitted your primary app no. But a secondary is worth a shot. I'd only apply to Stony Brook, Downstate and Illinois if I was a resident of those states.

I've submitted it and had it verified but I have not added Hofstra to it.

Your stats look very similar to mine. I'll let you know how I do this cycle and which schools were interested in me if that helps you at all.

Edit: Did not realize you are applying this cycle as well. Not too late if you get your secondaries in like today. You need to apply to more schools with such skewed stats. I applied to 28

Reactions: 1 user
Which state?
If u were verified in mid August, it's not late at all.

No state! I live in Canada though I am an American citizen (born in New York). I was verified in mid-August but my MCAT scores only came in on September 8th

EDIT: I was actually verified on August 31st, I was confused about two different medical-school related dates

Last edited:
No state! I live in Canada though I am an American citizen (born in New York). I was verified in mid-August but my MCAT scores only came in on September 8th

EDIT: I was actually verified on August 31st, I was confused about two different medical-school related dates

Well if you are an international applicant that certainly changes things. Your GPA is rather low for international applicants.

My advice would be this.
There are 62 schools that take international applicants.
Go through MSAR and eliminate any schools that haven't taken internationals the past two years or have something like only 1 international the past 3-4 years.
Apply to the rest. Your odds will be greatest with the lower tier's like Wayne State but with a 3.4 sGPA as an international it'll be hard especially since your MCAT score didn't come in till last week.

Well if you are an international applicant that certainly changes things. Your GPA is rather low for international applicants.

My advice would be this.
There are 62 schools that take international applicants.
Go through MSAR and eliminate any schools that haven't taken internationals the past two years or have something like only 1 international the past 3-4 years.
Apply to the rest. Your odds will be greatest with the lower tier's like Wayne State but with a 3.4 sGPA as an international it'll be hard especially since your MCAT score didn't come in till last week.

Actually as an American citizen I am not considered to be an international applicant.

Actually as an American citizen I am not considered to be an international applicant.

Yeah I didn't see the American citizen part.

Anyway get as many secondaries as you can in within the next few days. That should be your only focus for the next week. Given you have no state schools its even more imperative to apply to a good list of lower tier schools with some medium tiers as well. You already have a couple reaches. Your goal should be to have about 15-20 schools you have a realistic shot at interviewing at(lower tiers and some medium tiers). If after that you still have time and want to apply to big names that's your call but your priority absolutely has to be getting in more apps to realistic schools. I gave you my list above of some that I would consider.

Last edited: