Late applicants still waiting for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDUSA23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was complete at schools in November. I have had one interview and two rejections. That means I am still waiting for information from seven more schools. Since SDN seems to be full of early applicants, I wanted a thread for us late applicants who are still checking the mail everyday for news. Anyone having any luck??

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete early September most places. Late September, early October at 3 schools (HMS-invited, Columbia-invited, JHU-waiting). Most people consider that to be very late. You're even later, but I wouldn't despair yet.

I applied mainly to top tier schools and have heard back with interviews from 9/17. I got rejected from 2 pretty early (Mayo, UCSF) and held by Penn later. I'm still waiting on 5 schools that do not go in order of completion date.

In case that message is kinda cryptic, I was complete about 1.5 months earlier and have heard back one way or the other from most (12/17) of my schools. You should expect to hear back in January or February and to be disadvantaged at many places just based on completion date. But that's no reason to lose hope, if you're a strong candidate you will still get an acceptance somewhere!

I was complete in October and you can look at my stats to see where I stand. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete late mid-late October at most schools. I have had two interviews, have two more scheduled, one rejection (which I received tonight), and am waiting to hear back from eight schools. Checking email has been an obsession for the past few weeks.

It really seems that applying early helps quite a bit, but I've been happy with the response from schools so far. I'm looking forward to seeing if anybody does reply to this thread, because I'm sure most people here have been complete for several months or more.

I was complete early September most places. Late September, early October at 3 schools (HMS-invited, Columbia-invited, JHU-waiting). Most people consider that to be very late. You're even later, but I wouldn't despair yet.

I applied mainly to top tier schools and have heard back with interviews from 9/17. I got rejected from 2 pretty early (Mayo, UCSF) and held by Penn later. I'm still waiting on 5 schools that do not go in order of completion date.

In case that message is kinda cryptic, I was complete about 1.5 months earlier and have heard back one way or the other from most (12/17) of my schools. You should expect to hear back in January or February and to be disadvantaged at many places just based on completion date. But that's no reason to lose hope, if you're a strong candidate you will still get an acceptance somewhere!

Thanks for the encouragement. I also applied to Harvard, Columbia, JHU, Mayo and UCSF. I got rejected from Mayo, and I haven't heard from UCSF, Harvard, Columbia, or JHU. I regret not applying earlier because of the large volume of applicants this year. I feel confident I will be accepted from UI Carver College of Medicine (my one interview) because I in-state and am a strong applicant. But I would still like interviews at other schools, particularly Columbia, Dartmouth, and Stanford. I am already tired of waiting. :(

I was complete just before Thanksgiving break. I only applied to six schools. I had an interview at Iowa before I was complete. I have two more coming up; one this month and one next month. I'm still waiting to hear back from Dartmouth, OHSU, and Creighton. But, I hear Dartmouth and OHSU are notoriously slow.

Complete only two weeks ago, haven't heard a peep...not surprised. What I am surprised about is passing Loyola's secondary screen. :eek:
Here's to hoping I can ride my MCAT and ECs to victory!!
Stats:
Stupid 3.30 Crappy GPA in a hard-ass program (Physics and Physiology) with a sharp upward trend.
40S MCAT
and good ECs...I'm well rounded: Athletic, musical, research and volunteering.

I applied to 17 schools.. sent in apps in sept, most in oct, and a few in november. Have received two rejections and two pre-interview holds.. no word on interviews. 32P, good ECs, varsity soccer at ivy league school, ROTC, 3.3 gpa. hope there's still hope for me?

Hey OP, I'm in the same boat as you. I decided to take my MCAT in late July and got start with this whole process pretty late. I was complete at most places at the end of November. So far I have heard back from 3 school but no acceptance and a rejection from Mayo and University of Washington. Hopefully I will get into somewhere. Good luck to us late applicants. :luck:

Hey OP, I'm in the same boat as you. I decided to take my MCAT in late July and got start with this whole process pretty late. I was complete at most places at the end of November. So far I have heard back from 3 school but no acceptance and a rejection from Mayo and University of Washington. Hopefully I will get into somewhere. Good luck to us late applicants. :luck:

Are your stats real? cause if they are you're gonna have med schools weeping at your doorstep, even if you submit in December.

Are your stats real? cause if they are you're gonna have med schools weeping at your doorstep, even if you submit in December.

thanks for the encouragment; I have my fingers crossed. It does help to know that i'm not the only one in the ocean of early sdn applicants.

btw, MEDUSA23, I was just curious, is your sn Med-USA23 or Medusa23 (as in the snake person in Greek mythology) :laugh:

thanks for the encouragment; I have my fingers crossed. It does help to know that i'm not the only one in the ocean of early sdn applicants.

btw, MEDUSA23, I was just curious, is your sn Med-USA23 or Medusa23 (as in the snake person in Greek mythology) :laugh:

I'm going to guess it's Med USA and he/she is 23 (or was when s/he) signed up.

hrw212, your stats are awesome. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

Damnit...you have my real MCAT score...sheet.

I have been complete since late oct/early nov at 22 schools, interviewed at EVMS last week and another one at VCU tomorrow. Applied late because my MCAT score released in Oct from the Sept adminstration. Scored 35- 9 point increase from previous try, and GPA of 3.86 in biomed engr.

I know I have good credentials and I am not trying to be one of those SDNers who get perfect mcat /gpas and still ask others if they will get in to a school, but since I completed so late do you guys think I have chances at schools at top tier schools?

Your stats are astronomical though. No surprise on your acceptance and I'm sure you'll land some top tier schools. :)

Aw, thanks. What's meant to be will happen! I'm just glad I'm in SOMEWHERE!

still waiting here too...but i'll be waiting to hear about interviews from my canadian schools until late january/early february anyway, so i guess it's not that bad...it'd be nice to hear something sooner though!

I was complete late October to early November and applied to 24 schools and all I have so far are 2 rejections (Boston Univ and Georgetown.) My GPA is a 3.6 with a 36 MCAT and I passed all of the UC screens for secondaries so I thought I was going to be okay, but I'm getting quite nervous since I haven't gotten a single interview yet... should I be worried?

this thread was supposed to be for slackers, not for a bunch of wannabes with MCAT scores ranging from 37-43! damn you!

It is supposed to be Medusa23, but I capitalize it. I use this name when I play Battlefield 2142. I am interested in Greek mythology.

this thread was supposed to be for slackers, not for a bunch of wannabes with MCAT scores ranging from 37-43! damn you!

I don't think applying in Nov. means you are a slacker.

I'm glad there are other late applicants on SDN with similar stats. My stats are:
3.7 GPA
35 O MCAT
3 years working with adults and children with disabilities
Volunteered in Greece for 2 months saving sea turtles
Volunteered in an ecology lab for 8 months studying bee diversity in Iowa
Worked in neuroscience lab for 6 months
Honors research for 1.5 years resulting in a publication in J. of Virology (HSV-1 research) with good LOR
Research Assistant I since July producing AAV for gene therapy with excellent LOR from a top researcher at U of I
Doctor shadowed for a semester at UIHC
Couple Academic Awards and other involvements in student organizations.

Like others on this forum, I have a few things I am worried about in my applications. I think I was overly confident when I began applying, and now this waiting has lowered my confidence. I am worried about my O, but I think my personal statement and secondary essays are great so maybe that will compensate. I also failed a class because I had car problems. I commuted to school and I missed a final because my car wouldn't start. I graduated with a 3.82 gpa, but this was lowered because AMCAS took into considerated my F. I think this whole application process really humbles a person. Maybe that is the purpose of all these steps towards acceptance.

Applied in October =(
3 interviews but all after January...

God? Please let me in somewhere.

I didn't think this was a thread for slackers, but I am truly impressed with the caliber of applicants that have responded. For you 37-43 MCATers, I don't think it matters when you apply, just walk into the school of your choice and start paying tuition.

I didn't think this was a thread for slackers, but I am truly impressed with the caliber of applicants that have responded. For you 37-43 MCATers, I don't think it matters when you apply, just walk into the school of your choice and start paying tuition.

I think you would be suprised by how many 37-43 MCATers don't get into their first choice schools. It makes me wonder what medical schools truly want from an applicant.

I guess I just thought if only around 1 out of 50 people score that high, schools would pick them up. But I agree about not knowing what schools actually want of applicants. I think it puzzles everyone.

Guys, there's a whole other half of the year left. Don't let SDN neuroticism drive you crazy. Sure, it's great to apply early, but applying two or even one month before the deadline doesn't make you a slacker in anyone's mind.

I'll join in..... I was complete mid October. 4.0 GPA and 32R. I haven't heard anything from anyone at anyplace at anytime :(

I love you neuroprotector. :love: You always make me feel better for applying latER in the application season.

I think you would be suprised by how many 37-43 MCATers don't get into their first choice schools. It makes me wonder what medical schools truly want from an applicant.

Very true... I have an MCAT in the middle of that range, and a 3.78 and haven't heard back from ANY of my top choices. I was complete in early-mid September so it's been a couple of months now. :(

EDIT: On a happier note, that was my 100th post on SDN! WAHOO

Guys, there's a whole other half of the year left. Don't let SDN neuroticism drive you crazy. Sure, it's great to apply early, but applying two or even one month before the deadline doesn't make you a slacker in anyone's mind.

Thanks neuroprotector for making me feel a little better. :)

and God, an acceptance SOMEWHERE would make this process that much easier.

I love this thread. I thought I was the only one who applied "late". I finished all my secondaries late September, but my letters of rec didn't go out until Oct 25th. So my application wasn't "complete" until then.

Good news? I got three interviews.

Bad news? One rejection, one "on hold" and still waiting to hear back from 11 schools.

I don't think we should worry too much. Yes, there are some schools where it really matters if you apply early or not. But not all schools, and I think specifically not the top tier schools - they can take their sweet time because applicants are climbing over each other just to get in. I just completed my first interview today, and I heard people talking about how they finished in July or September but didn't hear about their interview until last month. So come on guys!! Think positive!! You could be hearing from all the schools in January or February.

I certainly don't think this means we won't get into schools!!

Also, I have to agree I don't think stats are a good determining factor on who gets interviews. My stats are decent, not spectacular, but my interviewer told me today I had fantastic recommendations. So maybe that's why I got some interviews!

Also, I have to agree I don't think stats are a good determining factor on who gets interviews. My stats are decent, not spectacular, but my interviewer told me today I had fantastic recommendations. So maybe that's why I got some interviews!

I hope you are right about LOR because I feel that is one of the strongest areas of my application. I need all the help I can get because I decided to lower my ego by applying to top tier schools.
I just got an email from Harvard yesterday saying I was complete. It took them a 1.5 months just to complete my file. So maybe I just have to wait another month to receive any more invites.
Good luck with your interviews!

I love this thread. I thought I was the only one who applied "late". I finished all my secondaries late September, but my letters of rec didn't go out until Oct 25th. So my application wasn't "complete" until then.

Good news? I got three interviews.

Bad news? One rejection, one "on hold" and still waiting to hear back from 11 schools.

I don't think we should worry too much. Yes, there are some schools where it really matters if you apply early or not. But not all schools, and I think specifically not the top tier schools - they can take their sweet time because applicants are climbing over each other just to get in. I just completed my first interview today, and I heard people talking about how they finished in July or September but didn't hear about their interview until last month. So come on guys!! Think positive!! You could be hearing from all the schools in January or February.

I certainly don't think this means we won't get into schools!!

hey, i was complete in july and august at 25 schools. i still have yet to hear one word from 13 of them.

join the "club of silence" all you late-appliers!!!

I was complete in October and you can look at my stats to see where I stand. :)

Dam you! I hate you (because of your stats, otherwise i'm sure you're a lovely person) ;)

Same as what I said to Dr. Dreamer. :D

Damnit...you have my real MCAT score...sheet.

Yup, same goes for you with your freakish MCAT score. By the way, I majored in Physics too (with a math minor).

Right? Quit jacking our thread, this is for people with MCAT's below the paranormal. ;)

Thanks neuroprotector for making me feel a little better. :)

and God, an acceptance SOMEWHERE would make this process that much easier.

AMEN!

I applied pretty late to all my schools and I received 3 interview invites in the last week. Just don't give up hope there are still a few more months in the season.

I was complete late mid-late October at most schools. I have had two interviews, have two more scheduled, one rejection (which I received tonight), and am waiting to hear back from eight schools. Checking email has been an obsession for the past few weeks.

It really seems that applying early helps quite a bit, but I've been happy with the response from schools so far. I'm looking forward to seeing if anybody does reply to this thread, because I'm sure most people here have been complete for several months or more.

Just wanted to add an acceptance to the late application thread. Hopefully giving more hope all late applicants.

Dam you! I hate you (because of your stats, otherwise i'm sure you're a lovely person) ;)

I am a lovely person. That is, when I'm not wiping boogers on the carpet. And don't go hating me! I'm not even a science guru (didn't touch it till post-bacc). Hate these people with 40+ MCATs... You know, the ones with tails... ;)

I love this thread!!
I hope this provides a little hope for you LATER applicants like me. I took the August MCAT which pushed everything back a bit...I was complete at most school Nov 1st, (secondaries were in Sept-Oct but letters of rec were not!)

I received 9 interviews so far (three of which came last week and this week!) and one rejection from Georgetown.
I got accepted to my first school two days ago!!! (Carver College in Iowa!)
I have been on 3 interviews so far (U of Michigan, Iowa, MSU) and going to UCLA tomorrow...I am a Cali resident and went to a UC. (applied to 32 schools, b/c I am paranoid!)

I have a 32S MCAT and an steep upwardly bound GPA (3.7-3.9 last 2.5 years) but overall is lower than that. And good EC's including a publication.

Don't give up hope, its still relatively early. For those hearing back from U of M today, good luck!!!!

I'm applying to 26 schools, and was complete at half of them in late October/early November, and the majority done by Dec 1st. So far I've gotten 3 interviews (UMich, Rochester, and Case Western) and 1 pre-interview rejection (BU). Haven't heard back from the rest, and will be sending out the last five or so once I'm done with finals. Lol I feel like I'm playing with fire having sent out (and still sending) them out so late!

Ladydoc and ruchi, u guys must have phenomenal stats to get so many interview invites in such a short period of time!!!

Ladydoc and ruchi, u guys must have phenomenal stats to get so many interview invites in such a short period of time!!!

I'm sure they're phenomenal, but if anyone is worried about getting less interviews, keep in mind the number of schools applied to.

If you've only heard from 3, you may have only applied to 9, whereas someone who applied to 30 has heard from 10. It's easy to get overwhelmed if you don't look at the numbers.

I think most of us late applicants are still waiting to hear from a good chunk of our schools. I know I am. :)

I'm sure they're phenomenal, but if anyone is worried about getting less interviews, keep in mind the number of schools applied to.

If you've only heard from 3, you may have only applied to 9, whereas someone who applied to 30 has heard from 10. It's easy to get overwhelmed if you don't look at the numbers.

I think most of us late applicants are still waiting to hear from a good chunk of our schools. I know I am. :)

This is an important point! I applied to 32 schools--which I am sure makes a HUGE difference. I didnt mean to make it seem like I had so many, just saying applying later is not a death sentence..be patient and they will come!:)
And remember, it only take ONE acceptance to be a doc, and that could come from ONE interview:hardy:

This is an important point! I applied to 32 schools--which I am sure makes a HUGE difference. I didnt mean to make it seem like I had so many, just saying applying later is not a death sentence..be patient and they will come!:)
And remember, it only take ONE acceptance to be a doc, and that could come from ONE interview:hardy:

LadyDoc2, how long did it take you to get the UCLA interview after you turned in your secondary?

Hello peoples. I have been complete mid-late october at 26 schools. I have no interviews, 5 rejections, and 3 holds from my 3 freakin state schools. I'm pretty much out this cycle and I'm already planning on studying for the MCAT starting January. Sorry for being a downer guys but this sucks beyond belief.

Hello peoples. I have been complete mid-late october at 26 schools. I have no interviews, 5 rejections, and 3 holds from my 3 freakin state schools. I'm pretty much out this cycle and I'm already planning on studying for the MCAT starting January. Sorry for being a downer guys but this sucks beyond belief.

Well, you still haven't heard from 2/3 of your schools. And even if the worst happens, think how much perseverence it will show the schools when you come back even stronger and apply early next year!

Perseverence is an important quality, and most certainly one I would look for in any physician treating me or my family.

LadyDoc2, how long did it take you to get the UCLA interview after you turned in your secondary?

I turned the secondary in Oct 14th, but my letters were not in and marked complete until Nov 1st, then I got the invite Nov 29th. They scheduled my interview Dec 7th for this week.

Good luck with getting a UCLA interview!

I applied in late September at some schools and early october at others. I got 5 interviews (Mount Sinai, AECOM, Albany, Temple and Georgetown), 5 rejections (GW, Downstate, Cornell, BU and Rochester) and 1 acceptance (Temple). I have a 3.5/33