Late Applicants - Success Stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Dark Knight

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone has some POSITIVE news to share despite submitting a late primary. I submitted my primary last Thursday and heard it could take up to 6 weeks. Sounds bad.

Major: Aerospace Engineering (Univ of Colorado)
GPA: 3.75
MCAT: 33 (12B 11P 10V)

Members don't see this ad.

I was verified in October last year, and in the end i submitted 7 secondaries and got 3 interviews, but no acceptances. So here I am applying again. Oh wait, you want a success story...

Your stats seem good enough, I'm sure you'll get a few bites.

I didn't think the Batman ever worried?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop posting on SDN. Start working on potential secondaries.

i submitted 4 secondaries last year on december 1st, which turned into 4 interviews, which led to 3 acceptances and one waitlist. that waitlist turned into an acceptance.

don't do what i did, though. i was miserable and stressed out for 6 months straight. start crackin' on those applications.

i submitted 4 secondaries last year on december 1st, which turned into 4 interviews, which led to 3 acceptances and one waitlist. that waitlist turned into an acceptance.

don't do what i did, though. i was miserable and stressed out for 6 months straight. start crackin' on those applications.

Wow. Congratulations.

What were your stats and ECs if you don't mind me asking?

Wow. Congratulations.

What were your stats and ECs if you don't mind me asking?

They were probably all very exceptional (stats and ECs), he/she got into Baylor within the last month of applying.

Congrats either way!

Does anyone has some POSITIVE news to share despite submitting a late primary. I submitted my primary last Thursday and heard it could take up to 6 weeks. Sounds bad.

I'm there with you, submitted last week and am totally freaked out about applying late. No one is painting a very bright picture for me either :(. Now that your primary is in, you are on your way, so hang in there. You will get verified, then have your secondaries ready to go, and just have faith you'll get some interviews. Engineers rock :cool:, so you'll be fine.

Major: Biomedical Engineering MS, BS in Mechanical (Cal Poly SLO)
GPA: 3.85
MCAT: 31

Do you want success stories because you're going to apply and you need the encouragement or because you want to see if it's worth applying? Sure, people are gonna apply up to the deadline and some of those people are going to get in, but everyone's going to have a different story and those stories never apply to you. People most likely got in with lower scores applying this late and got rejected with higher ones, the bottom line is you have less of a chance. There's still a chance but is it worth risking not going to the schools you REALLY want to go to that you have a good shot at getting in or is it worth risking all that money to not get in at all? That's the question you need to ask yourself. Do you apply now or take a year to strengthen your app and maybe do some things you would like to do before med school? This would give you a better shot than applying now, as well as a better shot than if you'd applied earlier, so just something to consider. Personally I'd wait unless you're deadset on applying now and don't care much for where you go.

You'll be fine...I submitted mine so late (and to only one school) that I was wishing I could have got my money back. I got accepted though in May.

Submitted on Labor Day weekend 2006. Got August '06 MCAT scores midway through October, verified near the end of October (maybe even the beginning of November). Applied to 9 schools, interviewed at 4. One outright rejection, two waitlists, and one acceptance!

Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.48 (BCMP ~3.3)
MCAT: 31R

Do you want success stories because you're going to apply and you need the encouragement or because you want to see if it's worth applying? Sure, people are gonna apply up to the deadline and some of those people are going to get in, but everyone's going to have a different story and those stories never apply to you. People most likely got in with lower scores applying this late and got rejected with higher ones, the bottom line is you have less of a chance. There's still a chance but is it worth risking not going to the schools you REALLY want to go to that you have a good shot at getting in or is it worth risking all that money to not get in at all? That's the question you need to ask yourself. Do you apply now or take a year to strengthen your app and maybe do some things you would like to do before med school? This would give you a better shot than applying now, as well as a better shot than if you'd applied earlier, so just something to consider. Personally I'd wait unless you're deadset on applying now and don't care much for where you go.

yeah a lot of people say they'd wait.. i was debating on it but i realized it wouldn't make sense to wait after reading some of these posts. My stats arent spectacular but they're decent and its still late August which means if it takes the whole month I could be verified by end of September and have secondaries out first week of October.. All that still gives me a shot for a November/December interview.. still earlier than the January-spring interviews so I don't think waiting makes sense anymore.

It seems some people logic is contradicting itself.. If most people applied early, it wouldn't be the busiest time of year for AMCAS right now.. Now someone suggested they cut the number of people working there..um why would they do that? Ok so let's suppose they do cut it to deal with the fewer late applicants applying now, well wouldn't less staff + less applicants = same wait time as the June applicants.

Also, I called 3 schools with rolling admissions and talked about being a "late" applicant. They all said that sure its not ideal since simple math means X seats - some = less than X but at the same time, they said they're looking for competitve applicants all along and not trying to hurry up and fill seats so they can take off on vacation.

No, I'm not saying this just for my own sake. Any other late applicants that run in to this thread, take some comfort in this and know that you still have time to be a middle of the pack applicant.. Late is turning in secondaries in December and btw to the poster who did do that and got in to Baylor, you are my hero!!!!!!!!