late application costing you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

It's interesting how all of my applications submitted after october have given me no interview where as most of my application submitted before october has yielded an interview. Odd.

Members don't see this ad.

Chankovsky said:
It's interesting how all of my applications submitted after october have given me no interview where as most of my application submitted before october has yielded an interview. Odd.

All my apps were submitted after October and I was lucky enough to get 4 interviews. As far as the cost goes....it's costing me my sanity ;)

all mine were submitted pretty late near the end of the deadlines... :( (december or later). and yeah i guess it hurts. i only got 4 interviews (out of 8 possible schools). what hurts even more is that i actually missed deadlines for 4 of the schools (didn't know that they had 30 day deadlines...) so i didn't even get to submit those secondaries.

lesson to be learned here: apply early. (do as i say, not as i do. ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course it is, man! What kind of question is that?! We were idiots to wait, and I don't care what your reasons were for doing so. I assure you, mine were greater than yours, but they still aren't good enough to justify consignment to another application cycle next year.

Despite submitting my AMCAS on Sept. 28 and completing secondaries at of very near their deadlines, I've somehow been "blessed" with several interview at some really good school (Mayo, JHU, D'Mouth, etc.) However, the interviews are so late in the game, that I suspect for many of these schools we are essentially interviewing for a waitlist position, or we are serving as a sort of "foil" for some other previous interviewee that is sort of "on the fence" as far as the Adcam is concerned. As such, unless we late interviewees dazzle the Adcaom particularly brilliantly, the default position will probably be that the previous interviewee gets the prize.

Just my take, feel free to flame away!

the fact that I took the MCAT in august and my application wasn't complete until later definately hurt my chances at Kentucky. the adcom director told me "if u had applied earlier, the adcom most likely would have accepted you. but right now the waitlist is the best we can do"
so that sucked. but everything happens for a reason.

PatentGuy33 said:
Of course it is, man! What kind of question is that?! We were idiots to wait, and I don't care what your reasons were for doing so. I assure you, mine were greater than yours, but they still aren't good enough to justify consignment to another application cycle next year.

Despite submitting my AMCAS on Sept. 28 and completing secondaries at of very near their deadlines, I've somehow been "blessed" with several interview at some really good school (Mayo, JHU, D'Mouth, etc.) However, the interviews are so late in the game, that I suspect for many of these schools we are essentially interviewing for a waitlist position, or we are serving as a sort of "foil" for some other previous interviewee that is sort of "on the fence" as far as the Adcam is concerned. As such, unless we late interviewees dazzle the Adcaom particularly brilliantly, the default position will probably be that the previous interviewee gets the prize.

Just my take, feel free to flame away!

So you automatically assume that you had better reasons than anyone else for filling out amcas late? How very pretentious of you. And what are these "adcams" of which you speak? :confused:

getunconcsious said:
So you automatically assume that you had better reasons than anyone else for filling out amcas late? How very pretentious of you. And what are these "adcams" of which you speak? :confused:

Even though I invited the flames, I can't help but respond...

It's not presumptuousness that brings me to the conclusions I've drawn, but empirical evidence, health dose of realism, and a willingness to accept what becomes ever-more obvious.

Speaking of obvious: Adcams=Adcoms= Admissions Committees

It was a obviously typo, which should be obvious. Obviously, perhaps if you laid off some of the self-prescribed medicinals, you would not be so oblivious to the obvious. Did I say obvious??

There is late and there is late. A lot of people (on this board and off) have to take the August MCAT and apply later for one reason or another, and get their apps in in late August through October and yet quite a lot seem to do fine in terms of interviews. Thus while there is clearly a disadvantage in submitting in the fall due to the rolling nature of the process, I think the futility of applying late is sometimes seriously overstated on this board. (People who don't get apps submitted until November or beyond don't seem to fare nearly as well, though, based on anecdotal evidence I have heard.) Clearly if you have the opportunity to take the April MCAT and submit AMCAS in June, do so. But submission of the app in the early fall is not always fatal, and in self-diagnosis of your application (in anticipation for curing it for subsequent years), I would tend to look first to other reasons as more likely reasons for not getting interviews.

PatentGuy33 said:
Even though I invited the flames, I can't help but respond...

It's not presumptuousness that brings me to the conclusions I've drawn, but empirical evidence, health dose of realism, and a willingness to accept what becomes ever-more obvious.

Speaking of obvious: Adcams=Adcoms= Admissions Committees

It was a obviously typo, which should be obvious. Obviously, perhaps if you laid off some of the self-prescribed medicinals, you would not be so oblivious to the obvious. Did I say obvious??

My self-prescribed medicinals are the only reason that I get out of bed in the morning. And the adcam thing was an aside. What I was REALLY criticizing you for was automatically assuming that you had a 'better reason' for applying late than anyone else.