Late Application, IS and OOS, 31 MCAT 3.9 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TulsaFutureMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My AMCAS was not verified until mid October, with all secondaries complete by October 28. I do realize this is considered late in the application cycle, but I was wondering if anyone had some personal experiences with applying late in previous years. Any comments on my chances for interview offers would be appreciated as well.

My stats:
31 MCAT, (10 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS) ~3.9 GPA total ~3.8 GPA science
-Attend large state school in SE US
-Honors Program, Double Major (Bio and Psych)
-Two Years in Research Lab at School
-Research Internship at Top 5 Cancer Center
-+120 hrs of volunteering at time of application
-One Year Hospice House Volunteer (Two at end of year)
-40 Hrs Shadowing Docs
-Student Mentoring
-Leadership Positions in several organizations on campus (health, non-health related)

I applied to 3 IS schools and several OOS schools with varying degrees of non-residence acceptance.

A sampling of schools I applied to:
Tulane
LSU-NO
UF
USF
Maryland
UNC

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My AMCAS was not verified until mid October, with all secondaries complete by October 28. I do realize this is considered late in the application cycle, but I was wondering if anyone had some personal experiences with applying late in previous years. Any comments on my chances for interview offers would be appreciated as well.

As the Magic 8 ball says "Outlook not so good". It might not be impossible to get in this round, but if I were you I'd already start prep for doing it again next cycle. (And yes, I am a reapplicant who decided to apply the first time around after I got my September MCAT scores. In hindsight it was a bonehead move.)

Yes it's not the brightest outlook but I thought it would be worth a shot. What were your stats in applying last year if you don't mind my asking?

Yeah it's a little late. I think with your stats and ECs you have a pretty good shot, but I think the timing is gonna hurt you. Maybe if you had something really extraordinary, but as it is I'd gear up for the next cycle and keep up with good medical and non medicine related activities.