Late application to EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PB&A

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year, already submitted my ERAS for a different specialty. I'm having 2nd thoughts about my original residency choice and am thinking about EM. I scheduled a last minute EM rotation that doesn't end until late November. Anyone willing to offer experience or opinions about applying this late? For example, should I just try to do a TY and reapply next year, should I apply now without an EM rotation, should I apply in late Nov, should I call programs, etc? If I do apply this year, do you think good programs would consider me? Other than being late, I have a strong application, eg junior AOA, step 1 > 250, mostly honors in clerkships. Thanks for any advice or feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year, already submitted my ERAS for a different specialty. I'm having 2nd thoughts about my original residency choice and am thinking about EM. I scheduled a last minute EM rotation that doesn't end until late November. Anyone willing to offer experience or opinions about applying this late? For example, should I just try to do a TY and reapply next year, should I apply now without an EM rotation, should I apply in late Nov, should I call programs, etc? If I do apply this year, do you think good programs would consider me? Other than being late, I have a strong application, eg junior AOA, step 1 > 250, mostly honors in clerkships. Thanks for any advice or feedback.

Obviously you need to submit your application now. If you wait, you'll miss the deadlines for most programs.

I don't even think you are late yet. You gotta get everything in now though and you will need an EM letter before you do the rotation. Is there someone who would write you one now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even think you are late yet. You gotta get everything in now though and you will need an EM letter before you do the rotation. Is there someone who would write you one now?

I have 4 interviews so far and no EM letters in. It isn't a requirement.

With those stats, I would certainly go ahead and apply. I would however make sure to hit a few 'off the beaten path' programs as safety nets. Just because they are off the beaten path and are maybe slightly less competitive, DOES NOT mean they are not 'good programs'. Most every program in EM is good and trains well; competitivness arises more from a regional bias than anything.

Get a two old fashion LORs in, with one from IM or Surgery hopefully and the other from whatever.... meet with the PD/boss of the place you are going to do the EM rotation at and try to work the very first possible shift or two with them and see if they can chug a SLOR out for you then. If its at your home, if you one something light this month, go hang out a night, wkeend, just whatever. I am sure the PD/boss will understand and would be glad to have you. I dunno if you can still submit stuff that late in the game or not, but would assume you can since the 'school' your at actually u/l's the letters...

Good Luck!

I was in this same situation 2 years ago. I was able to get a couple of letters from some local ED docs which served well. Your scores and your stats sound great. I would continue on your current path and complete enough interviews in backup, be it a different specialty or transitional years. I think if you apply now, lacking those letters, you will get lots of interviews. Just make your personal statement spectacular enough to get a close look by the PD. You can always explain away your last minute switch to EM and by interview time you will be finished with EM rotation and should have a good SLOR to submit. Apply to 30-40 programs and roll the dice. Good luck...my thinking is that you will get in!

I was in this same situation 2 years ago. I was able to get a couple of letters from some local ED docs which served well. Your scores and your stats sound great. I would continue on your current path and complete enough interviews in backup, be it a different specialty or transitional years. I think if you apply now, lacking those letters, you will get lots of interviews. Just make your personal statement spectacular enough to get a close look by the PD. You can always explain away your last minute switch to EM and by interview time you will be finished with EM rotation and should have a good SLOR to submit. Apply to 30-40 programs and roll the dice. Good luck...my thinking is that you will get in!

Agree with Corps (which I do more often than not these days LOL)

Apply, you'll be all right. Definately not too late.

I think the biggest problem is whether the OP is sure enough about EM to spring for hundreds of dollars in applications he/she may not end up completing. It sounds kind of like EM is a consideration more than a career epiphany. My question is whether he/she can apply in the first week of November after getting a taste of the ED or is that too late? Just wondering :D

I think the biggest problem is whether the OP is sure enough about EM to spring for hundreds of dollars in applications he/she may not end up completing. It sounds kind of like EM is a consideration more than a career epiphany. My question is whether he/she can apply in the first week of November after getting a taste of the ED or is that too late? Just wondering :D

I think an Junior AOA with a very high step 1 can apply after Nov 1st and certainly get interviews. Now would be better.

I think it would cost only $60 to add 10 em programs and resubmit ERAS. You can take care of the rest of the details later.