Late Application, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Typical Premed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian applicant in the 2nd year of a research-based master's program. My application is quite late (AMCAS has completed verification today). I have an AMCAS verified overall GPA of 4.0 and BCMP GPA of 4.0 with a 36P MCAT score (10VR, 12PS, 14BS). My ECs include a number of hospital volunteering positions, various clinical research projects, various clubs, 5 years as an overnight camp counsellor, master's thesis project on childhood ADHD, etc. I have applied to schools that have been known to accept Canadians in the past. Do you think it is still worth sending in all my secondaries or is it too late at this point to still have a decent shot?

Members don't see this ad.

It's late, but not too late. Your application appears to be excellent in every respect, giving you a more-than-decent shot. In my application cycle, I was verified by AMCAS in early November, my MCAT was lower than yours, and I was accepted. Be sure the schools you pick represent a mix of how selective they are, besides being friendly to Canadians. Send in the Secondary of any school you are willing to attend.

I know most Canadian med schools are extremely selective, but surely you'd do well there also.

I am a Canadian applicant in the 2nd year of a research-based master's program. My application is quite late (AMCAS has completed verification today). I have an AMCAS verified overall GPA of 4.0 and BCMP GPA of 4.0 with a 36P MCAT score (10VR, 12PS, 14BS). My ECs include a number of hospital volunteering positions, various clinical research projects, various clubs, 5 years as an overnight camp counsellor, master's thesis project on childhood ADHD, etc. I have applied to schools that have been known to accept Canadians in the past. Do you think it is still worth sending in all my secondaries or is it too late at this point to still have a decent shot?

... yawn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at your back posts, I see you did apply to Canadian schools unsuccessfully last year with the same stats. Why did you fail to get an acceptance? Did you contact any schools and ask?

That's why you always see Canadians with good stats freaking out in WAMC - it really is that bad up here.

To the OP - it would help if we had your school list. E.g. Places like GWU regularly take Canadians, but I would say at this point interview chances look grim. By contrast, I would be more optimistic about a non-rolling school that only just started interviews.

Looking at your back posts, I see you did apply to Canadian schools unsuccessfully last year with the same stats. Why did you fail to get an acceptance? Did you contact any schools and ask?

Last time I applied to 5 medical schools in Ontario. I received interviews at Ottawa and Queen's, was waitlisted but ultimately didn't get in. I was rejected pre-interview from University of Toronto which has a through application review pre-interview. I was rejected pre-interview from Western which had a strict MCAT WS cutoff of Q (it is now R). I was rejected pre-interview from McMaster which doesn't even look at the MCAT or work/activities. They base the interview invitations on 50% GPA and 50% on responses to 5 questions (only 700 character limit per question).