Late CK...have I screwed myself over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SierraMist14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, USMD MS4 applying to anesthesia this year. I received a 212 on Step 1 (ugh, I know), passed CS on the first try and am taking CK next Friday. I just took a practice exam and got a 248. Here is my concern:

I won't get my CK scores back in time for ERAS opening. I'll probably get them either a week or 2 after. Have I screwed myself over by taking the exam this late? There was no possible way for me to take the exam earlier and be confident in getting a good score. I want to go to NY for residency but some of the programs have a cut-off of 220 for step 1. Will they look my application over when sending interview invites? Or is a week or two not that bad of a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could help you, and I want to say that 2 weeks won't matter, but that's little more than a guess. The problem is you are already battling from a position of relative weakness with your Step 1 (which, while not great, is not insurmountable if you keep your expectations realistic), so the name of the game is to minimize the things working against you. I know I've railed against aways in other threads, but you might want to consider one if you're dead set on NY, possibly at something outside the Columbia/Cornell/Sinai triad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. I wasn't planning on doing an away, but I'll look into it. I'm not looking to go to a big name in NYC. I just want to be close to my family. Thanks

.....Have I screwed myself over by taking the exam this late?
-No

....Will they look my application over when sending interview invites?
-Yes, your app will get passed over. If your app is ready (and it should be), submit your app the day ERAS opens.

Do your best on CK, then when the score is released, you have a decision to make:
- do nothing.
- do more research and digging up info on programs, and take a critical look at places you applied. Email 5-7 of these programs and tell them you're still interested (assuming you are still interested, you must give clear and relevant reasons for this interest).

see this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/contacting-program-about-interview.1036853/

-ph8