Late interest in medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leith1812

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I'm 23, from Canada, looking to finally realize my potential and am considering applying for medicine. I've always been a bit undisciplined but have excelled in any field I've set foot in. I've taken some University, maybe the equivalent of a years worth of classes, and have found it exceptionally easy - scoring 80's and 90's without much trouble.

I've always had an interest in medicine, my family being nurses, doctors and psychiatrists, but it's been difficult for me to settle and focus with my diversity of interests. Boredom has been a prominent part of my life.

Now I'm 23, it would be necessary I complete 2 years of senior level courses, write my MCATS, apply, and finish school. At best a 8-9 year venture.

Am I getting into this to late in my life? I'm confident I can do it, that's not the issue, it's whether I am going to be able to give up the lifestyle I live now for one of dedicated study.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 23, from Canada, looking to finally realize my potential and am considering applying for medicine. I've always been a bit undisciplined but have excelled in any field I've set foot in. I've taken some University, maybe the equivalent of a years worth of classes, and have found it exceptionally easy - scoring 80's and 90's without much trouble.

I've always had an interest in medicine, my family being nurses, doctors and psychiatrists, but it's been difficult for me to settle and focus with my diversity of interests. Boredom has been a prominent part of my life.

Now I'm 23, it would be necessary I complete 2 years of senior level courses, write my MCATS, apply, and finish school. At best a 8-9 year venture.

Am I getting into this to late in my life? I'm confident I can do it, that's not the issue, it's whether I am going to be able to give up the lifestyle I live now for one of dedicated study.

No, I am 25 and I am starting to look into mEd school, I am one of those kids that were never good in school, but this is something i want so bad now.

23 is by no means too late in your life, especially if you are certain this is what you want to do. Even if you take two years of senior level classes you would be applying around 25 and matriculating around 26. I think the average matriculant is around 24 or 25? You would only be a year or two older than "average" anyways... pretty much negligible. Also plenty of people here have started their path at a much later age and absolutely love it.

If Medicine is really what you want to be doing, go for it. It's never too late to start. The only thing holding you back from your dreams is yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your age is not concerning.
Your attitude is, somewhat. I don't know you, so I can't completely judge, but if you have relatives who are docs you must realize that med school + residency, and the life of a physician, requires quite a bit of dedication and sometimes subverting your will and what you want for what NEEDS to be done by you, for the patient (or for your professors or attendings, if you are a student or resident). You should think hard about whether you have the dedication to really want to give up the life you are leading, as you have already mentioned this as a concern.

You also seem kind of overconfident. Being smart enough to do medicine is just one part of the collection of things you'll need to be successful, and just being smart doesn't mean that medicine is the right field for you. There are smart people in a lot of different fields...PhD's in particular have to, or should, think up original ideas, so the good ones I think are at least as smart, or smarter, than a physician. As a physician (clinical medicine, at least) a lot of what I do is more about doing things well and in a dedicated way, and on a repeated basis, even if I'm tired, don't want to be doing this right now, etc. That is at least as important as being really smart, though smart doesn't hurt...

but no, you are not too old.

You're never too old. It's more a matter of shifting things in your personal life and making the time sacrifice. I knew students in medical school who were twice your age.

You're never too old. It's more a matter of shifting things in your personal life and making the time sacrifice. I knew students in medical school who were twice your age.

:thumbup::thumbup:
know 'em and live 'em!

Your attitude is, somewhat. I don't know you, so I can't completely judge, but if you have relatives who are docs you must realize that med school + residency, and the life of a physician, requires quite a bit of dedication and sometimes subverting your will and what you want for what NEEDS to be done by you, for the patient (or for your professors or attendings, if you are a student or resident). You should think hard about whether you have the dedication to really want to give up the life you are leading, as you have already mentioned this as a concern.

You also seem kind of overconfident. Being smart enough to do medicine is just one part of the collection of things you'll need to be successful, and just being smart doesn't mean that medicine is the right field for you. There are smart people in a lot of different fields...PhD's in particular have to, or should, think up original ideas, so the good ones I think are at least as smart, or smarter, than a physician. As a physician (clinical medicine, at least) a lot of what I do is more about doing things well and in a dedicated way, and on a repeated basis, even if I'm tired, don't want to be doing this right now, etc. That is at least as important as being really smart, though smart doesn't hurt...

Amen. Leith - you're not too old. Starting medical school in late 20s, 30s is not unheard of nowadays. What is unheard of is if you started school at 18 and still haven't graduated by the time you're 23 or 24. Do realize that a lot of nontrads who start the medical school path in their late 20s, 30s, or 40s have graduated from school, taken time off, and worked in other professions and careers. If what you're saying is true, I would suggest that you shift gears and put more effort into your studies (no more partying, surfing the web, or hangovers for you my friend :thumbdown:).

Also realize that the average grade GPA of medical school acceptee last year was a 3.6-3.7 (92-94 under the Canadian grading system) and MCAT score was 32-33 (90th percentile). So if you're scoring 80-90 in your normal courses, you're actually doing below average in terms of the normal medical school student body.

1. I second everything Dragonfly said.
2. Also, the comment I quoted in particular makes me think medicine might not be for you. It translates into into you saying, "Well I know med school will be easy, but I just don't know if I wanna work hard."

I second the above, and I am just entering med school, butam 38 and have had a successful business career and also have a wife and family.

At 23, you may be finding it difficult to think 8-10 years out for getting into school, going to med school and then completing a residency. What you did not mention is that is probably the beginning. From what I have been told finishing a resdiency or a fellowship is not the end of the journey. Lots of hours, charts, paperwork, call, etc.... for most, though there are some specialties that have a perceived advantage inthe lifestyle department.

By the way, don't forget about the 200K you'll need. I tell my son, I could get all four of us a new Corvette if I didn't go to med school.....I think that puts it into perspective for him.

Good luck.

No, you're not getting into this too late in life. Some people who are in their 30's apply to medical school. Just make sure you study hard and learn self-discipline.

Also, to go into medicine you have to love math and sceicne, although, as you mentioned above you suceeded in any thing you do.

If I were you I'd go to a career counsler and see what she/he says.

Best Wishes. :)

Also, to go into medicine you have to love math and sceicne, although, as you mentioned above you suceeded in any thing you do.

Why on earth would you need to love math to go into medicine? I'll admit that you might need some basic math skills as a physician, but you certainly don't need to love it.

In fact, many physicians have told me they don't even love SCIENCE! They love having the knowledge to make their patients better, but they never enjoyed, for example, Intro Biology.

Why on earth would you need to love math to go into medicine? I'll admit that you might need some basic math skills as a physician, but you certainly don't need to love it.

In fact, many physicians have told me they don't even love SCIENCE! They love having the knowledge to make their patients better, but they never enjoyed, for example, Intro Biology.

CB......you have alredy prescribed more good advice than you know.........I am glad you said that about the BIO thing. I mena, I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I like the science stuff, but it can get really boring. I remember I used to work chem problems for hours, but literally would start yawning 30 seconds into reading moel./cel Bio............lol.

CB......you have alredy prescribed more good advice than you know.........I am glad you said that about the BIO thing. I mena, I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I like the science stuff, but it can get really boring. I remember I used to work chem problems for hours, but literally would start yawning 30 seconds into reading moel./cel Bio............lol.

Don't sweat it. If you like Bio, it'll make a lot of med school basic science (not to mention UG pre reqs) more palatable, but loving science does *not* equal good clinician. That being said, try to keep the end goal in mind while learning the basics--it'll help keep you motivated. :thumbup:

If you are confident about pursing medicine...just go for it. you dont have to "give up" your lifestyle...you have to compromise. school is about dedication and hardwork *mostly*. Dr. Phan said it best, "work hard now and play later." something like that...

Becuase from what I've heard, to get into med. school you have to take a ton of math and science courses.