late interest in rads, advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grey Wind

Purple Highlighter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am almost a 4th year and just gained a serious interest in radiology...I have no radiology electives scheduled for 4th year and have no radiology lors. i am a DO interested in ACGME programs because of greater likelihood of getting a fellowship. im in the top quartile of my class, 232 step 1, 629 comlex, an ssp member (our aoa), average extracurriculars/community service during med school, no research, no publications.

any honest advice or opinions would be very helpful. is it too late? i feel pretty behind the curve and am worried i wont be able to schedule auditions.

Members don't see this ad.

well..y our step1 is pretty low and youre a DO which makes it even harder.. no research and no rads experience at all makes it harder still..
any way you can squeeze in a a rads rotation during the summer? get a rads LOR?
another option may be a year off to do rads research

I am almost a 4th year and just gained a serious interest in radiology...I have no radiology electives scheduled for 4th year and have no radiology lors. i am a DO interested in ACGME programs because of greater likelihood of getting a fellowship. im in the top quartile of my class, 232 step 1, 629 comlex, an ssp member (our aoa), average extracurriculars/community service during med school, no research, no publications.

any honest advice or opinions would be very helpful. is it too late? i feel pretty behind the curve and am worried i wont be able to schedule auditions.

I don't know how much being a DO affects your application. AOA is a big deal though. It's not too late but you need to get more radiology exposure which means shadowing and/or rotation so you can get a letter and have something to talk about during interviews and write about in your personal statement. Audition rotations are not a must in radiology unlike fields like surgical subspecialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how much being a DO affects your application. AOA is a big deal though. It's not too late but you need to get more radiology exposure which means shadowing and/or rotation so you can get a letter and have something to talk about during interviews and write about in your personal statement. Audition rotations are not a must in radiology unlike fields like surgical subspecialties.

Obtain a letter from shadowing? I guess a radiology rotation is mostly shadowing, but is this commonly done?

DO in Allo Rads here.

My Advice:
Get a Rads LOR.
Your USMLE is OK, not the best, but you will get interviews. I met people on the trail that were DOs with your score. Your COMLEX is good.
You can shoot for the stars if you wont, but you'll most likely land on the moon. Keep your focus to mid-tier programs.
You still have a chance, kick ass in step 2! you have to.
Good luck

Obtain a letter from shadowing? I guess a radiology rotation is mostly shadowing, but is this commonly done?

You can get a letter with just a meeting if your home department is supportive. So I don't see why not with shadowing.

thanks all for the responses. i have been emailed programs like crazy to set up rotations and have managed to get some good news. its stressful finding something that you actually like at the end of 3rd year. it feels good to be excited about a specialty in medicine though, i must say. i really appreciate all the advice.

with the diminished competitiveness of radiology, and looking at charting the outcomes 2011, is 232 really that bad of a step one? no.

being a D.O. may affect things...as will not having a radiology LOR.

with the diminished competitiveness of radiology, and looking at charting the outcomes 2011, is 232 really that bad of a step one? no.

being a D.O. may affect things...as will not having a radiology LOR.

Are rads LOR absolutely necessary? Our PD said they weren't. I have great LOR (surgery, IM, Peds) from attendings that know me very well. I feel like a rads LOR would be "meh."

Are rads LOR absolutely necessary? Our PD said they weren't. I have great LOR (surgery, IM, Peds) from attendings that know me very well. I feel like a rads LOR would be "meh."

It depends on the program. Some places prefer non-rads letters unless the rads attending knows you well.

It does depend on the program. From respective websites, however, it seems that most programs want 1 radiology letter at the very least. Still, AWESOME LORs from other specialties are much better than "meh" letters from any specialty.