Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Late interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Moon, Jan 26, 1999.

1. Moon

Moon Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi all
    First of all I like to congratulate to you all who already got accepted to osteopathic colleges and wish the best luck to who still on the waiting list or about to have an interview.
    I completed my supplemental applications about 10th of Jan 99 and granted an interview with Tucom on early March. I just wonder what is the chance that I can get in (is it too late that all of the spots had been filled ?) Is Tucom gonna expand to 125 spots this year? I had a decent GPA (3.75) but just an average MCAT (high in sciences and low in verbal, I'm in the US for less than 5 year when I took the MCAT). I have various extracurriculum activities (leadership, hospital volunteer, research, publication, work full time during school year). I just wonder if those activities help me to get an interview?
    Thank you very much for your inputs.

2. Duke

Duke Member
    10+ Year Member

Moon,

I was in a similar situation last year.. There is a really good chance that you'll get an interview. However, most schools accept students in a rolling admissions basis. This makes it hard for potential students, who apply a little later in the cycle, to get a good chance. This is because most of the openings may be filled.This means an excellent candidate may go up against a greater amount of scrutiny since there are fewer spaces. You seem to be a good candidate, so there might not be a problem. As for the expansion of the student body, you'll have to wait for the AOA's decision in mid-Feb..
    Good luck,
    Duke

[This message has been edited by Duke (edited 01-26-99).]

3. Henry

Henry Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Forgive me for saying this, but finishing the second applications in Jan of 1999 is really late. Many schools have already filled with more than half of their seats by the end of Feb.

This means, they have already received the decposit from the students. However, many schools will also review those that are on the waiting list by then.

Therefore, if you have an interview in march, chances are lower. I am not saying you have no chance but it will much much harder and tougher.

If you need to reapply, send all the application on June 1st and finish all second application no later than September.
    Then you will have a very large chance to get in several schools.

Good luck in your interview.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. macey

macey Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Moon,
    Henry is correct. If on the unfortunate chance that you must re-apply, please heed the following advice. Have your AACOMAS in on June 1st (in the mail on May 30th). While waiting for secondaries, prepare packets for people who will write your letters of recommendation. If you are not waiting on a "prepared recommendaion form" then send the packets before you receive the secondaries. When you do receive your secondaries, give yourself a deadline like 3 days for each one. This process will give you the best chance to have your application complete as early as possible and early is the key to getting in. At least, it helped me. Good luck and I really hope you don't have to do this!

5. Duke

Duke Member
    10+ Year Member

The best way to get into DO school is to start early. The first time I started late in the admissions cycle. I sent in my secondary in Feb!! (After the deadline!) Although I got an interview and did well, I got put on the alternate list and eventually didn't get in. It is imperative that you start early, in the beginning of the admissions cycle (June 1st). The commitees of the various schools have a lot of spaces to fill so they may tend to be a little more lax. (Although MCAT and GPA scores are important, if you got an interview, you are considered a competitive candidate.) If by chance you don't get in this year. DON'T GIVE UP! See what you can do to improve your qualifications (many applications contain the following question: What has changed since your last application?) It would be nice to be able to put in something. Suggestions would include any kind of community service,research,volunteering, EMT, etc. Your main goal is to show commitees that you haven't given up and are committed to becoming a physician. I know that it sounds bad to do certain things to show that you're serious, even though you probably most likely are, but there are a lot of us out there doing the same thing. Not getting into school is very disappointing not to mention depressing and a whole lot of other things, I should know (see Acceptance... Finally..) but try and remain positive. If you do get in, ignore what I just said and good luck!
    Duke