late, late interviews...what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hasy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my first interview is on 3/19 at upstate syracuse, second on 4/26 at NYMC and third on 4/30 at SLU. At this point in the cycle, does anyone know what my chances are at getting in at these schools? Are these interviews for waitlist positions? because the last two interviews were offered in the past week. I feel really discouraged and would appreciate any insight....

Members don't see this ad.

my first interview is on 3/19 at upstate syracuse, second on 4/26 at NYMC and third on 4/30 at SLU. At this point in the cycle, does anyone know what my chances are at getting in at these schools? Are these interviews for waitlist positions? because the last two interviews were offered in the past week. I feel really discouraged and would appreciate any insight....

you will be initially waitlisted...but all those three schools have LOTS Of waitlist moment. i be surpised if you dont get in this year.

Well, not getting an interview at all is an automatic rejection. At least you've got a shot at these schools one way or another. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with OP. Lots of waitlist movements for those 3 schools, especially SLU & NYMC. As long as you rock your interview, you will get in eventually. Just don't get discouraged even if you end up getting waitlisted. Good luck!

I have an interview at Upstate on March 21st. The thing is I was notified about getting the interview (Jan 2) 2 weeks after I submitted my secondary, but this was the only spot at that time. My opinion, is that if your sitch is like mine or similar go for the interviews. They clearly are interested.

And, some weirdo keeps posting on mye Mdapps page that my Upstate interview is too late, the class is full and that I will get low prioirty waitlist and should cancel my interview. I think this guy/gal is a jerk and probably just wants my spot. So, do not let people tell you otherwise.
Schools want you!!

3 chances to get into med school. ALOT better than 0.

hasy,

I'm just curious: when did you submit your primary AMCAS? And when did you submit your secondaries?

does anyone know if michigan state has waitlist movement?

hasy,

I'm just curious: when did you submit your primary AMCAS? And when did you submit your secondaries?

I submitted my AMCAS early July and had my last secondary complete as of 9/20. I have 2 interviews lined up for 3/27 and 3/21.
Its also based on stats, mine weren't good enough for Nov/Dec interviews. Now they are. -or- maybe they took the time to actually read through my application and not disregard me due to a <30 mcat.

i'm worried myself. 4 waitlists and 0 acceptances. all interviews in feb and march. good luck to everyone!

thanks for all the input, i havent had internet access for couple of days, hence the delayed response.

But I applied rather late, submitted AMCAS early October because I thought I bombed the MCAT. I was verified in November, secondaries mostly complete in December because the schools took a long time to send them to me.

My stats: I have 3.0 in undergrad, 3.93 in graduate, 36 mcat.

anyway, my interview at upstate went ok i think. they did assure me that there were few spots open for acceptances but it seems like most people are going to be waitlisted. anyway, good luck guys

Very few acceptances left? :(

I hope we get some! I interviewed on 3/5

I think UPSTATE doesn't interview a lot at one time. The reason is I got my invite in October and I can only schedule it in Jan. By the time Jan comes, I got acceptances already, so I withdrew my file. I really believe that they interview small groups.
NYMC interviews a lot and it's usually back-up school for some applicants, so the waitlist moves a lot. Post interview acceptance rate for NYMC is lower compared to other schools.
I dunno much about SLU. But i was reading a story about a guy who didn't get off the waitlist from SLU last year.

I think that adcoms do not waste much of their time, meaning that I think they're interviewing you because they have the realistic likelihood of accepting you. Three interviews is pretty good - if only one comes through, you're in! Do your best and hopefully one will work out for you.

Schedule a mock interview with your premed advisor. I did this after being waitlisted and it really helped my confidence. My advisor was like, "You're fine. You're interviewing well. You'll be accepted somewhere."

I think UPSTATE doesn't interview a lot at one time. The reason is I got my invite in October and I can only schedule it in Jan. By the time Jan comes, I got acceptances already, so I withdrew my file. I really believe that they interview small groups.
NYMC interviews a lot and it's usually back-up school for some applicants, so the waitlist moves a lot. Post interview acceptance rate for NYMC is lower compared to other schools.
I dunno much about SLU. But i was reading a story about a guy who didn't get off the waitlist from SLU last year.

Well, my interview at Upstate ( yesterday) was 13 people. That is a lot, i think