Late Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_a_cigar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-o, I'm currently waiting for one of my letter writers to submit, and it's down to the wire. If we're following EST, the deadline has passed. How strict are programs with letters? Is there some wiggle room for late letters? Or, do the portals close?

Any information to address my applicant anxiety is much appreciated :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Most are lenient with that, especially if it's just one letter. We get it; it's not a reflection of the applicant. Pretty much no admission committees meet the day after deadline. Leniency tends to range from having it whenever the committee meets to make selections for interview invites to all the way to decisions in Jan/Feb. By then if they need it they might nudge you to let you know who they're missing one from.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Most are lenient with that, especially if it's just one letter. We get it; it's not a reflection of the applicant. Pretty much no admission committees meet the day after deadline. Leniency tends to range from having it whenever the committee meets to make selections for interview invites to all the way to decisions in Jan/Feb. By then if they need it they might nudge you to let you know who they're missing one from.
+1

also, this is a time for me to plug not submitting applications the day before. I suggest getting them all in 2-3 weeks before the deadline. this allows you the opportunity and flexibility to ensure nothing is late, as noted above.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1

also, this is a time for me to plug not submitting applications the day before. I suggest getting them all in 2-3 weeks before the deadline. this allows you the opportunity and flexibility to ensure nothing is late, as noted above.
Yes! Definitely. I had all the links sent 3 weeks ago and submitted my applications before Thanksgiving. Which made it even more anxiety provoking to be waiting on something outside of my control. Luckily they were submitted at midnight so I can relax!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! Definitely. I had all the links sent 3 weeks ago and submitted my applications before Thanksgiving. Which made it even more anxiety provoking to be waiting on something outside of my control. Luckily they were submitted at midnight so I can relax!
A deep thank you for this. Seriously. Thank. You.

Reactions: 1 users