late life career change foot care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conservator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an art conservator, age 50, looking for a career change. I am tired of fixing museum objects and want to fix people. I have been interested in foot care since I was a kid and if I don't make a career change now it will soon be too late. Is it too late already? Is it possible to start med school at this age (esp. while raising two teen-age kids?) If med school isn't an option (and it probably isn't) , how else can I get into foot care. Nursing? Any other option? Are there any certificate programs in Quebec, where I live? I don't really dream of working in a hospital - I imagine going to people's homes to treat them. I'm interested in working with the elderly and with diabetics in particular.

Before I did my masters in my field (in 1980!), I took the required prerequisites - chemistry and organic chemistry - but I have no other university level science courses. And apparently science has changed since then. (how is that possible?) So I have a lot of catching up to do before I can start in any kind of program, I'm sure. Any advice on a realistic plan for getting into conservative foot care at my age?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Conservator

Members don't see this ad.

I am an art conservator, age 50, looking for a career change. I am tired of fixing museum objects and want to fix people. I have been interested in foot care since I was a kid and if I don't make a career change now it will soon be too late. Is it too late already? Is it possible to start med school at this age (esp. while raising two teen-age kids?) If med school isn't an option (and it probably isn't) , how else can I get into foot care. Nursing? Any other option? Are there any certificate programs in Quebec, where I live? I don't really dream of working in a hospital - I imagine going to people's homes to treat them. I'm interested in working with the elderly and with diabetics in particular.

Before I did my masters in my field (in 1980!), I took the required prerequisites - chemistry and organic chemistry - but I have no other university level science courses. And apparently science has changed since then. (how is that possible?) So I have a lot of catching up to do before I can start in any kind of program, I'm sure. Any advice on a realistic plan for getting into conservative foot care at my age?

Conservator

One thing that would concern me with your circumstances would be debt. Podiatry school isn't cheap and you will be in six figure debt. By the time you are out and through residency, it would be a mad dash to pay off your loans before retirement.

Believe me, there will be podiatry schools willing to take your money. I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense financially though. I guess it depends on your financial situation up to this point.

The other point I would make is that even if you're only looking to get into conservative foot care, you'd still have to do at minimum a two year surgical residency in order to practice. So you'd be looking at a year or so to take the required undergrad courses and tests, 4 years of pod school, and then residency.

Have you looked into the orthotist/prosthetist field? That might be another way to go.

Conservator

Personally, I got a late start, and am a first year pod student. I'm 35, used to sell insurance. The previous post makes a good point, but if you have some money saved up it can help with the tuition costs. My view is that if its your dream, its not how you start but how you finish that counts. You have to be able to enjoy the ride, and if money isn't your goal, you may be able to make it work. I'm fortunate to have a supportive wife who is "on board." There are people over 50 who enter podiatry school, our school has one currently.

One thing to consider that is an interesting option is cardiac perfusion. Midwestern Univ. has a program that does require similar prerequisites, but is only 2 years in length. And as I understand it there is no residency requirement. I understand that the salary is around 100k per year, and you will be working in the operating room as part of the health care team. Just something to consider if you were not aware of it. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work at a teaching hospital in the mid-west. We have many residents that are in their 50's and 60's. So if you want to be a podiatrist go for it.

I believe that it's not always the amount of time you've lived up to before you accomplished your dream, rather that you accomplished it. If you want to pursue podiatry then go ahead, however I urge you that you sit down and deeply think about your circumstance.

If you have a some type of support and you think that you can handle the financial burden then keep going. One thing that I've come to learn is that life isn't over after your 40's nor 50's. I know of many doctors who are currently practicing in their late 70's some even 80's and their extremely successful.

One more thing, you probably have to go back for atleast a year at university level to brush up on some science/math, this will give you enough time to complete all the necessary pre-reqs you might need to finish.

Go here: http://www.podiatryonline.com/main.cfm?pg=links&fn=schools , check out some of the schools here and find out all the pre-reqs your choice of school requires. Good Luck to you and your family!