Late MCAT a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caduceusdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kinda going off on a recently posted thread...is taking MCAT at a later date really that big of a problem. I can understand how it would have been a big problem before with the whole taking the august 18th MCAT and not getting ur scores until october 18th (passing certain schools' deadlines)...but with the new MCAT if some one (like me) takes an MCAT during August and get my results back september, is taking a late MCAT that big of a deal???

Well, if u think abt it once everyone applys in June, AMCAS takes 6 weeks to process it. SO medical schools start reading ur apps in mid July. If u look at things this way, if I get back my MCAT scores in early september, im applying less than two months after the very first applicant. So, is it possible that the process would get stricter within a duration of less than two months? I mean do u guys see where im getting at?

Before, since ppl didn't get their test results back until late October, a delay of over three months seems a lot (and it already passes some schools' deadlines).

SO, this is wat im thinking abt doing...take my MCAT july 24 or august 06 and then apply mostly to schools that have a late deadline...is this a bad idea...i would really appreciate ur guys' thoughts on this issue. Thanx in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Take it early and you can avoid this question/problem all together. :thumbup:

As long as you prepare well and do well, you will be fine. Most deadlines aren't until October anyway. It's more important to prepare and do well than it is to take it as early as you can and not get the score you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you send in all your AMCAS stuff early and have the schools wait on your MCAT score?

If there is one thing that I regret more than anything it is taking the August MCAT. Schools admit applicants and as time goes on get more and more selective. Use the August MCAT as your "plan b" in case your not happy about your score.

Well, if u think abt it once everyone applys in June, AMCAS takes 6 weeks to process it. SO medical schools start reading ur apps in mid July. If u look at things this way, if I get back my MCAT scores in early september, im applying less than two months after the very first applicant. So, is it possible that the process would get stricter within a duration of less than two months? I mean do u guys see where im getting at?

Before, since ppl didn't get their test results back until late October, a delay of over three months seems a lot (and it already passes some schools' deadlines).

SO, this is wat im thinking abt doing...take my MCAT july 24 or august 06 and then apply mostly to schools that have a late deadline...is this a bad idea...i would really appreciate ur guys' thoughts on this issue. Thanx in advance!!

Can't you send in all your AMCAS stuff early and have the schools wait on your MCAT score?

yes, at least that's what my Kaplan teacher was telling us. However, if I didn't do too well I might want to delay applying until after I have my score. I am going to be taking the MCAT in August as well and the only way that I will even think of applying will be if I get higher than a 35 due to a steadily improving 3.35 GPA.

Nice avatar. Why do you hate people with epilepsy?

I didn't think about it at first, but after looking at my avatar awhile I decided that I needed some form of legal disclaimer.
As a doctor I plan to have a sign like this or similar: "By reading my name on my shirt you forgo any legal right to pursue malpractice claims against me... but I would be more than happy to refer your malpractice claims to another doctor." :D

I took the August MCAT, sent in the AMCAS application in early August, and submitted the secondary applications almost as soon as I received them. As I found out, taking the August MCAT will hurt with many rolling admissions schools (even if the your application is outstanding!). But I found it will not hurt with the non-rolling schools (including the top tier schools), if you get a high score and the rest of your application is great. Since medical school admissions are very unpredictable, my advice is to take a year to do research, a clinical experience, or something of that nature; then, the following year, you can send in your applications at the moment that they are available, and you will have an extra year of experience. Also, it is better to delay taking the MCAT until August to get a better score, if that is the case. If you must apply this year, submit your applications ASAP and apply broadly.

I think the latest you should take the MCAT this cycle since its on CBT format is the end of July.