Late Night Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wishing4MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
For those of you who study at night, what keeps you motivated to stay up at 2 am going over MCAT stuff? Do you just hang out during the day(or work), and then study?

Members don't see this ad.

ahhh ive officially become nocturnal.... about to go to bed and its 12 PM.....i just can't seem to study during regular hours. I get distracted wayyy to easily.

I usually study for the MCAT till 4 am everyday and when I feel like I can't keep my eyes open anymore I go to bed :D
Usually my brain says "STOP, u need ur sleep" when I can't digest anything from reading.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a pretty competitive person by nature and a HUGE basketball and Laker fan. My favorite player is Kobe because of his persistant work ethic and drive to improve. So I think to myself, if Kobe wanted to be a doctor and was studying for the MCAT, What Would Kobe Do?

Maybe kind of childish but hey do whatever works/gets you motivated.

I think about it like this: while everyone else is sleeping/going out/etc. I'm here putting in work. That's whats going to get you to goal and separate you (and your score) from everyone else.

I tend to study early in the morning and late at night. Whenever I'm feeling discouraged, I take some time to read comments from people who have scored well, and seeing most of them worked their butt off. I want to be the person who says that in 3-4 months.

I took the January MCAT and I personally am the opposite of a study at night person. I like to get up early and study a LOT during the day so I can feel like i deserve to go out that night. During the time I was studying for my MCAT I actually didn't change my "going out" habits at all; I went out with friends even a week before my test. Not saying this is for everyone, but I remember people telling me that I was going to be locked up and not allowed to have a social life while I was MCAT studying. I definitely proved that wrong because really, you can't just shut down your life. You will go crazy. I would recommend that you try to change from nocturnal studying to normal day studying so that you can maintain a healthy sleep schedule and lifestyle in general.
Just my two cents :)

LOOOOL yeah you do start to go crazy and I've become ridiculously unhealthy...but thats just what i've found works for me.

y friend done MCAT and ACCA with giving just few time to studies. Its not mean u just reading and spending time on books but u have to clear your concept with every single line...

It is a scientific fact that not getting enough sleep significantly affects one's ability to synthesis and remember information. I am so confused by the tendency of people to become "unhealthy" when huge projects or tests come up. This is the exact time to do the opposite. It doesn't really matter when you study, the key is 1.) Not being interrupted or distracted and 2.) Getting enough sleep, exercise, and eating right.

You can't cheat sleep.

I've become pretty nocturnal.. I always did better studying late. I scheduled for a 1pm test date because I would NEVER be able to take the test early in the AM. I'm just not functional at those hours.