LATE NOTICE from UMDNJSOM-would/could you attend? Called on 7/25!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Talk about doint things at the "last" moment! I have just about everything all set and am looking forward to beginning med school in August-finishing up loan and housing details when "bam", I get a call from SOM. I am really caught off guard and wish this had happened a "LONG" time ago. It is my state school and would have many advantages for me. Anyone else offered a seat just days before the term begins? I understand SOM starts on July 30 with orientation so I don't understand how all the paperwork, financing and housing could be done in less than a week. Does this happen everywhere, or just at SOM? I'd like to hear any similar stories and how you handled it if anyone has run into this!!!!! Thanks and good luck to all who start in just a couple weeks!!!

------------------

rog

Members don't see this ad.

Hey buddy
Go for SOM, I talked to the finacial aid people there three days ago because I hadn't yet recieved my loans (I have since recieved) I asked them if it was to late and they said they have had much later in the past. Also the aug 5th deadline for tuition seems like it doesnt need to be honored. I think a later date will be issued.
About living, I can give you the phone number of my condominum complex. They are very nice (dishwasher, washer, dryer, central air, deck, garbage disposal,) and is 2 miles from campus. My 2 bedroom is $650/month I already have a roomate but I don know a guy who is looking for one.
The white coat ceromony is on sunday so choose quick. I have heard nothing but positive statements by students, residents, and doctors. Economically it is your best choice too. what other school were you thinking about?

If you need any help my name is Jon Markley and I'll check back tommorow

I know the school has a list of those who need roomates which may be helpful to you

I know a guy that was accepted to dental school in NY one week before the first day of class. His wife had a baby (premature) around the same time. He lived out west and left his wife there to go to school. She came out a month or so later. He ended up failing out of school on a five year program.

On the other hand, you are from the area which has many advantages. How much money will you save in tuition? You can drive home vs. flying home. Your comfortable with the area. I wouldn't worry about fiding a place to live and financing the $$. I'm sure those are small details compared to the advantages of going to your state school. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Roger where were you set to go to school?

I was all set to go to PCOM but now I'm absolutely confused as to where I should go. On one hand, I feel that my social existence will be a little better in Philly, but there's not gonna be much time for that anyway. I have tonight and tonight alone to decide. Help me.
Rog

Rog,

I know what its like to have to make a quick decision about a major event. I called every "wise" person I knew and I asked them for advice. All of them said the same thing, "It has to be your decision."

I don't know who said it but, It is far easier to live with a decision than it is to make it.

PCOM is a fine school. No question about it. UMDNJSOM is a fine school too. I'm a fellow NJ resident. I can see where you're in a pickle. I'd have trouble choosing too.

I think what you really need to ask yourself Rog is whether or not you would have attended UMDNJSOM had you been accepted 3 months ago. Meaning, Would you have picked UMDNJSOM over PCOM had you been accepted at the same time? If your answer is yes then I think you should examine all the details.

UMDNJSOM wouldn't have called you if they couldn't swing all the paperwork. Its up to you to decide whether or not you want to switch gears this late in the game. Are you up to the challenge of finding short notice housing, etc. etc.?

Your choice is between a Dodge Viper and a Chevy Corvette. Both are fantastic cars. Whatever you choose will be excellent.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to follow your heart.

------------------
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. --Eleanor Roosevelt."

"God bless us everyone" --Tiny Tim.

W.U.A.S.

There's a guy in my class who got called Friday to be at the whitecoat ceremony Sunday, and start Orientation Monday. I've also heard of people being called after class had started.

If it were me, I wouldn't sweat the sudden change, I'd just go to the SCHOOL I preferred.

Good Luck,
Stephens1

After getting very little sleep over the decision, I've decided to attend SOM. I want to do my networking in jersey, so why not go to school there. This was an extremely tough decision. I called back Dr. Wallace at 8:56 when my deadline was 9 o'clock. I guess summer's over now. Time to find a roomate and get rollin. I'll see you all at the White Coat on Sunday and thanks for the advice.
Roger

Good Luck Roger!...I wish you only the best in your upcoming school years

------------------
"A goal without a deadline is, in reality, only a wish"

Hi Roger! Great job...congratulations! I'm Jessica and I'll also be an MS-1 starting on Sunday. I think that PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM are both wonderful institutions. When I was wait-listed at PCOM, I had some time to reconsider why I wanted to go to UMDNJ-SOM so much. It was always my 1st choice, and I realized that there was a reason why I got into 1 and not the other.
Just remember, everything happens for a reason. There's a place for you at UMD and you earned that seat. See you soon!

Congrats! See you on Sunday.

Paige

I'll be an MS-1 at UMD also, i think you made the far better decision...UMD is a far better school, I was offered an interview at PCOM and didn't even attend after knowing I was in here. I've been in the area for the last month or so and have learned a lot about both schools, and every day I am more certain that I made the right decision. I'll see you on Sunday...
Pirulo
UMDNJ-SOM