Late SLOE that is HP. Submit or not submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheComebacKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow EM applicants. I just had a quick question.

I have been very fortunate to get multiple invites. However, I recently completed a late away rotation for which I received a HP on. I got a SLOE from this rotation because I was told that it's "a red flag" if you don't get a SLOE from every place you rotate at.

I was a little disappointed in my performance, and I was wondering if I need to submit this SLOE to programs. I already have a decent number of interviews and I fear that submitting this SLOE will only hurt my application. However, I don't want to come across as me "with-holding" any information because I think that would not be looked upon favorably.

If anyone has any thoughts/advice on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If your application is pretty solid, I would leave it as is.

If not, it's a bit of a judgement call. I'd say it's unlikely to make a big difference in either direction.

If your application was below average, and the SLOE would bring you up, I'd consider submitting it.

Reactions: 1 user
I got HPs on every rotation, including a on a letter I only recently received and submitted. I am quite sure my comments will be good, and very few rotators earn honors where I rotated, so I don't want to have a "red flag" when I don't feel like the letter will harm me.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submit it. It's probably not that bad and not doing so will be a red flag. At least that's what I've been told.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless the program you rotated at hands out Honors to nearly everyone a HP isn't going to hurt you. Like Cinclus, I got HP on all rotations, and I've done fine on interviews. There's a huge variety in the percentage of Honors vs High pass vs Pass that programs give out, and most programs know that, so the specific comments and where the SLOE says they would rank you matters more than the actual grade.

Cool. Thanks everyone for your responses.

So it seems like the general consensus is that I should just submit the SLOE. Probably won't hurt too much with a HP, may or may not help my application.

My question now is, did you just upload to ERAS and then notify the programs? Who did you update? The program coordinator? Or can I just assign the letters and they will get an automatic notification?

I just uploaded to ERAS. The program I interviewed with about two days later was aware of the letter.

Cool. Thanks everyone for your responses.

So it seems like the general consensus is that I should just submit the SLOE. Probably won't hurt too much with a HP, may or may not help my application.

My question now is, did you just upload to ERAS and then notify the programs? Who did you update? The program coordinator? Or can I just assign the letters and they will get an automatic notification?

Just upload the letter, but make sure to assign it to programs so they can see it.

Depends where it is. Ask your home programs PD. A lot of places would consider not submitting a SLOE from an away as a red flag. Your PD also probably knows grading from other programs in the area.

I sit on the interview selection committee. My PD has said "Wow, that person got an honors at Program X - they never give out H. This PD writes very critical letters about everyone but this letter is shining." I've also heard him say "They got a HP at Program Y - that program is terrible. If you can't impress them there, you won't cut it here."

A little inside info could go a long way.

Valid point. This program is a very well respected program that sees tons of very sick patients. I can tell you that from the interview trail so far, interviewers have commented on "how great of a program it is". They didn't have a SLOE to assess my performance, but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what percentage of students get a honors at this place. But I don't think it's a terrible program like Program Y. Hopefully a HP from a well respected program won't sink my chances? I was told by the clerkship director that the letter would still be strong and that I should definitely use it, but who knows what that means...

Valid point. This program is a very well respected program that sees tons of very sick patients. I can tell you that from the interview trail so far, interviewers have commented on "how great of a program it is". They didn't have a SLOE to assess my performance, but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what percentage of students get a honors at this place. But I don't think it's a terrible program like Program Y. Hopefully a HP from a well respected program won't sink my chances? I was told by the clerkship director that the letter would still be strong and that I should definitely use it, but who knows what that means...

Depends on the program. Like I said, some programs give all H, some all P. Just depends. The comments matter a lot.

Plus, this isn't Lake Wobegon. Not every program can fill with students that are 260/260, AOA, multiple pubs and multiple H on aways at Denver, Cinci, Indy and Carolinas. A lot of programs will be really happy to take someone with 220/230, 3.3 GPA who's letters say that you are in the middle of the class but you show up early, stay late, have common sense, can sense the room and the residents love you.

You kids do know that honors is limited to 10% of the total number of students, right? I mean, it says it right on the SLOE form.
That being said, there are clerkship directors who thing everyone is a special snowflake. And everyone who reads the SLOEs knows the places where everyone gets honors.