Late start help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at UCSD who ha recently decided that the medical field would suit me best. It has been a long journey from math to physics to biophysics, and although I think I could explain why I want to do this, I don't have much to show for it. I have a 3.45 overall gpa with 3.2 in science, but it has been going up. I am expecting 3.6 overall with 3.4 in science. I have been averaging 29-32 on practice mcats, and I have until jan 30 to prepare. I volounteer at the red cross and am trying I get a volounteer spot in a hospital. Also, I plan to get my emt liscence in the spring. Which I will have for a year until I apply in 2010. I realize I won't be very competitive this spring, so I am applying during my last quarter (I transfered from a JC, so it will be 5 years total to graduate). What can I do during the next year to became a competitive late start applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Besides 1.5 years of clinical experience, which can include being an EMT after you are certified in addition to the hospital volunteerism, try to get in some physician shadowing (after you get to know some docs at the hospital), a research experience, and a leadership experience. Your Red Cross experience will be good to list on your appliciation also. Keeping in mind that 3.65 is the mean GPA for accepted med students, it's important that you continue to raise your GPA. If you want to get into California state schools, you'll need an MCAT score higher than the low 30s.

this may be implied by your post but I'm not sure so what the heck...if/when you get your EMT certification, make sure you do something with it. If you're getting it to just have it so it looks better to adcoms...dont bother...make sure you at least attempt to volunteer or work as an EMT instead of doing what a lot of pre-meds I know do, and just use it as a resume/application booster. Best of luck!