Late Submission of Primary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EasternMer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I called AAMC and didn't get a concrete answer.

I'm taking my MCAT in June (19th to be exact). I'll get my scores back July 21st.

However, I am submitting my primary application, to one school (University of South Florida -- I am NOT a FL resident, just a random school) on June 1st. I have a previous MCAT score (very low) already, so I should be verified by late June.

In the meantime, I plan to have all my secondaries written for my 35 schools by the end of June (basically full time job'ing it!).

When I get my MCAT score back on July 21st, will I be automatically complete at all the schools I add on that date? And I should get my secondaries within a week?

I'm still nervous that I'm applying super late and that I should just wait a cycle instead of dropping 2K on this.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't be super late at all! Do as you plan and based on your new score add schools to your list! When you start getting secondaries do them right away and relax. Keep studying for that MCAT and make sure your LOR are in too!

You are not applying super late by having a complete app July 21st. Also, I believe some/many schools manually go through each app to determine if everything is there to mark an app "complete" - in which case you wouldn't "automatically" be marked complete at every school. It can take a while for some schools to do this. Either way, you're not applying super late.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How low is your 1st score and how old is it? Some schools average multiple MCATs (though with the new MCAT you're taking, I have no idea how this would work. You can't average percentiles, I don't think.)

If you only submit to one medical school, the primary shouldn't cost you too much. If you get a good MCAT, you should be alright if you are complete by beginning of August... but not much better than "alright," and I don't know what your GPA is. It might be worth it to take another gap year, and submit in June in 2016. Even the difference of a month can have an influence on your interview invitations (schools don't get your application until June 26th or so, and you won't be complete until late July/early August depending on how fast you will get secondaries).

If you do bad on the MCAT, you don't have to apply anywhere else besides USF and you won't lose 2K.

tl;dr I think you'll be OK, OP. Do it.

Last edited:
Except for some special cases of rolling admissions, I would tell you that anything before Sept 1, isn't terribly late.

Additionally, someone should clarify for you whether submitting one primary on the AMCAS and then scrapping the cycle, marks you as a reapplicant at all other programs. This is a fine and important point, since you don't want that status unless you really did apply and failed.

Last question, do you know of any schools that send out secondaries in August?

Last question, do you know of any schools that send out secondaries in August?
Drexel University... for some reason it took forever to receive that secondary this year. But they read them fast - I received my secondary late August, but interviewed in September.

Typically with the old mcat, schools would receive scores within 48 hours after scores are released. But for most schools you are not complete until they have your secondary even if they have your MCAT score. So, I would advise adding some or all schools after you take your mcat in june so you'll have a feel for how you did and which schools you want to still go with. But, waiting until july 21st means you have to wait until you receive secondaries. For most schools they send you secoondaries same day you designate them on your primary so you may receive secondaries july 21st and be complete july 23rd( if it still takes schools 48 hrs to receive your mcat). But from personal experience, I had a few schools take up to a week to send me their secondary and this was late August.

Typically with the old mcat, schools would receive scores within 48 hours after scores are released. But for most schools you are not complete until they have your secondary even if they have your MCAT score. So, I would advise adding some or all schools after you take your mcat in june so you'll have a feel for how you did and which schools you want to still go with. But, waiting until july 21st means you have to wait until you receive secondaries. For most schools they send you secoondaries same day you designate them on your primary so you may receive secondaries july 21st and be complete july 23rd( if it still takes schools 48 hrs to receive your mcat). But from personal experience, I had a few schools take up to a week to send me their secondary and this was late August.
The only reason I hesitate is because I have a low old MCAT so I don't want to be screened out of secondaries.

The only reason I hesitate is because I have a low old MCAT so I don't want to be screened out of secondaries.

Most schools make a note of "pending MCAT scores" and reserve judgement until they get the score. Even if you're totally unqualified MCAT-wise, with a passable GPA you'll probably get the secondaries anyway (GPA screens seem to be tougher than MCAT screens). They want your money! I agree with johnnytest to add all the schools in the beginning. If they're going to reject you at that point even knowing you have a new MCAT coming up, they don't want you.