late with manuscript revision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyched2graduate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, need some advice. I am late with a manuscript revision that I had previously received an extension on (the first time suggested by the editor for an actual research-related reason). Not my finest move, but I had to defend my dissertation before faculty started disappearing for the summer. Should I explicitly apologize for the late submission in the letter to the editor or just submit and hope for the best? FWIW, it will be 5 days late.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They may not even remember exactly what date the extension was for. I would just go ahead and submit. And in your letter you can thank the reviewers/editor for the time they spent giving you helpful feedback of course. Always a good thing to thank people for their time. There may be people on this board who have been on editorial boards though (I have not) so I am also curious to hear their perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did almost this exact thing one month ago, except I was one week late. I didn't mention it and it wasn't noticed.