late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yes

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an invite for interview from Hopkins yesterday, which seems really late to me. They gave me a date in March. This is an awesome school, but I'm wondering if it's worth the trip... should I assume that since the interview offer is so late my chances of doing much better than wait-list are slim? I don't have a lot of time or money to throw around, that's why I'm wondering. I'm also not sure if I would go there if I was accepted, because of the reputation as being in a bad, dangerous 'hood. Considering my chances, is it worth the couple hundred bucks to fly out? Is Baltimore not as bad as people say?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go!! It is worth the investment if you might be interested in the school (also, check out Southwest airlines - they fly into Baltimore and are CHEAP). Even if you are only interviewing for a waitlist spot (I have no idea if you are), isn't it worth the opportunity to maybe get in? Check out the area for yourself, instead of listening to what others say. I have been to the area and think Baltimore is a really interesting city, and my friends who have lived there have really liked it. The fact that other people have called it the "hood" is a disrespectful, superficial way to talk about an area. I guess what people mean by that is that there are a lot of poor people living in some areas of the city. Personally, I have met some of the most amazing people during the times I have spent in "poor" areas of my own city. In addition, many of these people need the most help medically. Therefore, medical schools or hospitals located in such areas have the good fortune of being able to treat people who can truly benefit from their help, and might not be able to afford it elsewhere. (Sorry for the rant - can you tell I feel strongly about this issue??).

Congratulations on the interview offer! They are hard to come by, so I would DEFINITELY go. You really don't know what the school is like until you visit, and get a chance to ask questions. Even if you do only make it to the wait list, you have a decent shot of eventually getting accepted. They must interview this late for a reason. Go for it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw go for it....

I recently went on an interview to a school I "thought" I would hate because of the town that it's in....I ended up loving it. You just never know! Besides, their are a lot of people that would give their eye-teeth to have your interview, so consider yourself lucky, qualified, and a serious candidate!

Good Luck!

It's freaking Johns Hopkins. Go. That's all I have to say.

I think the only reason you should not go is if you have already gotten into your number one choice of med school.

But then on the other hand you don't really know if Hopkins has the potential of being your first choice until you visit.

If you do go, stay with a student and don't stay in Reed Hall. I made that mistake and ended up judging the whole school (wrongly) according to Reed Hall which really wasn't accurate. The students seem to be very convinced that Hopkins is a wonderful place and I have noticed they are very adamant about defending their school against all the rumors. So that's got to mean something.

If money is the only issue stopping you, I think you should think of it as an investment with great growth potential.

Hopkins interviews until the beginning of April. You are not bringing up the rear!
After interview, applicants are notified at monthly intervals of decisions. About 25-30% are offered admision, about 10% rejected, the rest on placed on a ranked alternate list; very few accepted from below top third.

Go to the interview.

gower, although I do not know all of the intricacies of the Hopkins med school admissions process, I was not under the impression that they "rejected" people after their interview. From what I understand, they place everyone on a "waitlist", and start selecting people from the top of that when needed, but they do not flat out reject anyone. However, the waitlist serves to be a euphemism for rejection for those individuals that interview and are placed towards the bottom of the waitlist.

Is this an incorrect characterization of how things are done there?

Thanks if anyone can clear this up.

p.

Should you go to your interview at Hopkins? I think so. Just because you're interviewing in March doesn't mean the class is full. Besides, I think it's a great place!
smile.gif

A clarification regarding admissions stats...

Most of the published statistics regarding Hopkins admissions are horribly flawed, since Hopkins joined AMCAS in 1999. Applications went up by 140% last year!

Anyhow, a total of 227 applicants were accepted last year (including those taken from the waiting list) for the class of 120. Out of the 120, I would guess that around 25 came from the waiting list.

Give the school a shot - it's a terrific place.

Cheers,
doepug
(Hopkins Med '04)

Just come already! As an adamant defender of Hopkins, I vote you come visit. YES Baltimore has many social problems, and the hospital/med school is in the middle of an economically depressed nieghborhood, but NO all of Baltimore is not like that, and YES you can live safely in Baltimore. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods 10-15 mins from the school. Also they have nice financial aid packages since you said you don't have a whole lot of money to throw around.

Stay with a student if possible. The Reed hall experience is not pleasant (I have heard), although it's fun to live there as a 1st year I've heard --I lived off campus.

Thanks so much for the good advice. I feel like I would be making a huge mistake by not going now and giving myself a shot, despite the costs. I definitely should take the time to check out JHU with my own eyes. I'll be in Baltimore soon!

Linie, do you know of anyone who lives in Fells Point and goes to JHU med? I've heard that it is a very cool area and not too far from the school. Is it safe? Expensive?

Hallie -

While Fells Point is close to school (15 minute walk?), to my knowledge, a few but not too many med students live there. It's a fun area (great restaurants and bars), but it'd be a loud place to live for those times when you really need to study.

Lots of med students live in the next neighborhood over (Canton), which is relatively safe. A few people who really embrace Baltimore's urban neighborhoods live near Patterson Park, but I don't think it's quite as safe there. Most med students live in Charles Village and Mount Vernon (see the Hopkins anyone? forum).

Hope this helps -
doepug

Cool! Thanks for the tips. I will check out the "Hopkins, anyone?" forum.

Actually, I know a lot of sudents who live in Fells Point. Federal hill is another cool urban place (with fewer bars than Fells). Charles Village is full of Hopkins undergrads, grads, AND med students. I don't know that many that live in Canton. The closest neighborhood to the medical campus is called Butcher's Hill, which is near, but not on, Patterson Park and has some beautiful buidings. Mt. Vernon is downtown, and a lot of students there live in a building called the Waterloo. There's also Roland Park and Mt. Washington for the more suburban-inclined. Further out places (20 mins) include Pikesville, which has a large Jewish community, Timonium, and many others.