Latecomer to the field seeking adivce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeaboutthat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After going through med school thinking I want to do internal medicine, I just finished my rotation and have realized it is actually not for me. I've been reflecting on my experiences during 3rd year and feel like ophthalmology may have the perfect combination of elements I am looking for. However, my step one score is 235 and I have various paper and poster publications (8) in cardiology, but no experience in ophthalmology. Since my exposure is premature, I plan to do a subi at my school first chance I can, which will be in June.

Does anyone have any advice on chances for someone deciding on ophthalmology this late in the game? I know the average of admitted applicants is 244 from the 2016 match, and my research is not even in the field. Also, I attend med school in california and only have one honors in my third year rotations. Is it realistic to think I will match at a decent program, or am I looking at either taking a year off or risking not matching at all?

Thank you in advance for all your help and suggestions. I would really love any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Take step 2 ASAP and get an amazing score. Get started on an research project now. Apply this upcoming cycle and see what happens. Tell programs that you made the switch last minute. They'll understand (because you have all those papers). Take a year off if the match doesn't turn out.

Note: it's not uncommon to have a heart for both internal medicine and ophthalmology.

ok. I felt like I needed to post a reply honestly to your question.
Ophthalmology as a field has changed dramatically over the past few years. Although it is still competitive and spots are limited-if you are looking for a specialty to earn huge income-this is not.
To give you a better idea-cardiologists will definitely make more money than a comprehensive ophthalmologist on average.
What made you think about ophthalmology? Your one or two week rotation ? To make a serious decision to pursue ophthalmology-I would urge you to talk to as many practicing ophthalmologists as possible.
Also, keep an open mind. I am not discouraging you from pursuing ophtho-if that's what you want to do. But gone are the days where cataract surgeries had a lucrative lifestyle/income. To be successful-you have to do a subspecialty training in ophthalmology (add to your years of training) and location becomes hugely important and has a strong impact on your earning potential for ophthalmology more so than primary care specialties.
So, lots of factors to think about depending on your gender and where you want to live.
But if you are like me-crazy to work long hours;enjoy demanding patients and managing private practice marketing dramas, surgical complications; constantly updating your surgical techniques (My hours are crazy because I am in retina in a major metropolitan city), explaining to patients the difference between you and Dr. Jones who is an optometrist prescribing wrong medication and discouraging a patient from surgery when you know you can make a huge impact and improve their vision (explaining to them your years of training vs Dr. Jones)--Ophtho is for you, my friend.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user