HistoRocks

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
Okay, this is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but whats the difference betwen lateral condyle and medial condyle? And exactly where is each one located? Like if I brought my knees together, which one would be where? I am using Sobotta Atlas of Human Anatomy, and the pictures it has of the femur isn't really explaining it. Thanks in advance.

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
IN YOUR HEAD...let me out!
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
well the lateral one is more lateral and the medial one is kinda more medial...hope that helped.

Tallguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
HistoRocks said:
Okay, this is probably the wrong thread to ask this, but whats the difference betwen lateral condyle and medial condyle? And exactly where is each one located? Like if I brought my knees together, which one would be where? I am using Sobotta Atlas of Human Anatomy, and the pictures it has of the femur isn't really explaining it. Thanks in advance.
Hey... you know what will really help you... before studying the specific structures. First cover the directions (superior, inferior, medial, lateral,etc), planes, and anatomical positions. Then the knee and many other structure names will make more sense. This is usually in the first few chapters of any anatomy text like Moore.

Hope this helps and good luck

Tallguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
that image you posted is the right leg at a posterior aspect. Fibula is lateral to the tibia, always. This is a way to tell which side that is medial and lateral.

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

ddmo

BMF
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Like was said above, you need to learn the terminology before learning the structures. Your question is like asking, "is the right hand, right or left, of the left hand?"

To answer your question, lateral is away from the midline of the body, medial is towards. So if you put your knees together, the two medial condyles would be close together. Hope that helps.

jonb12997

I'm a doctor!!
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Wherever I go, that's where the party's at!
Status
Attending Physician
HistoRocks said:
Okay, this is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but whats the difference betwen lateral condyle and medial condyle? And exactly where is each one located? Like if I brought my knees together, which one would be where? I am using Sobotta Atlas of Human Anatomy, and the pictures it has of the femur isn't really explaining it. Thanks in advance.
um... on top and bottom sides of the pterygopalatine fossa!!! that's what they taught us at that "D.O. school" that I go to... ;-) ;-)

OP
HistoRocks

HistoRocks

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
dynx said:
:laugh: Im sorry but this is too funny.
Yeah, I know the picture is funny. Whats not funny is that they don't teach gross anatomy at most uni's for undergrad's, and the anatomy classes they do have skip over details such as I asked in this thread. At least I am trying? If there were corpses to be had in the street, I wouldn't be asking you... anyway.

sunkists

im a fatty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Status

Phosphate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Australia mates!
Status
Medical Student
HistoRocks said:
Yeah, I know the picture is funny. Whats not funny is that they don't teach gross anatomy at most uni's for undergrad's, and the anatomy classes they do have skip over details such as I asked in this thread. At least I am trying? If there were corpses to be had in the street, I wouldn't be asking you... anyway.

Umm there is nothing funny about that picture. It is 100% correct.
You won't need cadavers to learn basic anatomy. And can I ask why you are studying anatomy?

I suggest that you master the content of this link before learning any structures.

:cool: :cool: http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article1023.html

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
HistoRocks said:
Sorry man, wasn't trying to be an ass just having a good time. If you want to learn anatomy looking at an atlas is not the way to go. Short of dissection, I think a text book with more than just pictures but rather explainations of what you are looking at is far more usefull. Try
Moore, K.L. and A.F. Dalley. Clinically Oriented Anatomy
Its a good book with a lot of clinical correlations. There are things you need to know that will help when you are looking at structures and thinking about functions. Simple things like medial vs. lateral and things that seem intuitive but can be a little more complex like flexion and extension as well as suppination. These words work themselves into the names of many structures for muscles and can help you group certain nerves by function esp. in the arm...these are things that you would have to memorize seperatly if you are learning straight out of an atlas but that will be explained to you in a text book.

Good luck.

Phosphate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Australia mates!
Status
Medical Student
HistoRocks said:
Okay, this is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but whats the difference betwen lateral condyle and medial condyle?
Anatomical Terms Direction

Medial - Toward the midline of the body
Lateral - Away from the midline of the body

The difference betwen lateral condyle and medial condyle is that they are either side of the femur.

The medial condyle of each femur are the ones closest to the midline of the body, hence the name medial condyle.

The lateral condyle of each femur is the ones futherest away from the midline thus are called the lateral condyles.

Tallguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
Medical Students feeling guilty by past posts and deciding to provide support brings tears of joy to my eyes...

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Tallguy said:
Medical Students feeling guilty by past posts and deciding to provide support brings tears of joy to my eyes...
bite me :D

Tallguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
Oh sorry, I just saw that you are not a medical student yet...you'll learn to stop acting like a know it all prick once you start med. school.

It's not to late to start respectfully educating others...since you will have to deal with students and patients that are not "experts" at everything like the great dynx :)

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Tallguy said:
Oh sorry, I just saw that you are not a medical student yet...you'll learn to stop acting like a know it all prick once you start med. school.

It's not to late to start respectfully educating others...since you will have to deal with students and patients that are not "experts" at everything like the great dynx :)
Actually, Im finishing up my second year now. But I find that you can continue to be a prick as long as you do indeed know more than other people, furthermore I find that inspiring a healthy fear of ridicule is a great motivating factor for people to increase thier self study and avoid looking foolish by asking silly questions. :)

Lindyhopper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2004
Status
HistoRocks said:
. . Whats not funny is that they don't teach gross anatomy at most uni's for undergrad's, and the anatomy classes they do have skip over details . . .
At CUNY Hunter we offer an excellent & detailed undergrad A&P course. It is part of the nursing curriculum. I would check out the course in your school required for a BSN.

Tallguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
well i guess we have to disagree on this because I feel that support and respectfully answering questions, as opposed to mocking, will instill more confidence in the individual which I believe will lead to greater comprehension. I guess everyone has different philosophies. Sorry about the medical school status confusion

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Tallguy said:
well i guess we have to disagree on this because I feel that support and respectfully answering questions, as opposed to mocking, will instill more confidence in the individual which I believe will lead to greater comprehension. I guess everyone has different philosophies. Sorry about the medical school status confusion
You're obviously right but I just though that the question was too funny to pass up a laugh. I suppose good natured humor is hard to differentiat from being a jerk in a writen form.

wiryMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
Status
dynx said:
Actually, Im finishing up my second year now. But I find that you can continue to be a prick as long as you do indeed know more than other people, furthermore I find that inspiring a healthy fear of ridicule is a great motivating factor for people to increase thier self study and avoid looking foolish by asking silly questions. :)
That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read in one of these forums. If only you were at my school, perhaps with a healthy fear of ridicule I might have honored everything. Knowing more than others does not entitle you to being a prick, in fact it does not entitle you to anything, it should obligate you to aid others who may lack knowledge that you have. It may even be that case that these foolish people might know something you don't. I know it sounds odd, but a exchange of information between 2 persons is not unheard of in medicine.

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
wiryMD said:
That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read in one of these forums. If only you were at my school, perhaps with a healthy fear of ridicule I might have honored everything. Knowing more than others does not entitle you to being a prick, in fact it does not entitle you to anything, it should obligate you to aid others who may lack knowledge that you have. It may even be that case that these foolish people might know something you don't. I know it sounds odd, but a exchange of information between 2 persons is not unheard of in medicine.
Holy jeezus...i've said like three times that I have been joking around, you all need to take a deep breath.

Slowmo214

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Helsinki, Finland, Northern Europe
Status
When you look at the femur from behind (posterior view, as in the link posted) you'll see a pit between the condyles. This is the fossa intercondylaris. The anterior side looks different (facies patellaris).