Latest date I can take test and match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitten8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the latest date that I can take the test and get into the match competitively? It seems like most places do interviews around November. Would a program not interview you if you haven't gotten your score back, or haven't taken your test yet?

I am a U.S. IMG who has to re-take Step 1 due to a score that expired. I don't feel prepared at all for the test, and I was planning on taking it in early September. I am worried if I don't score well, I won't match and it could possibly be the end of my career. I graduated last summer, so I am not a student, either.

Would you study your ass off to take the test in late August or early September, study and try to take it and match next year (which would technically be my 3rd year trying to match), or take the test later this year and try to match into family or something else?

Members don't see this ad.

ERAS opens on September 1st but applications can be submitted for a few months after that. However, you probably won't get looked at until you have a Step I score. I would imagine that getting your score later than the beginning of October would put you at a disadvantage for getting interviews, but if you get the interview it won't matter that your app was later than others.

Interviews start around November, but many programs will go into late January or early February. These spots may be filled by October though.

Scores take a few weeks so I wouldn't schedule it later than the first week of September, and if at all possible would shoot for August.

What is the latest date that I can take the test and get into the match competitively? It seems like most places do interviews around November. Would a program not interview you if you haven't gotten your score back, or haven't taken your test yet?

I am a U.S. IMG who has to re-take Step 1 due to a score that expired. I don't feel prepared at all for the test, and I was planning on taking it in early September. I am worried if I don't score well, I won't match and it could possibly be the end of my career. I graduated last summer, so I am not a student, either.

Would you study your ass off to take the test in late August or early September, study and try to take it and match next year (which would technically be my 3rd year trying to match), or take the test later this year and try to match into family or something else?

I'm confused, maybe you could clarify:
Step 1 scores expire? What about MD/PhD's that have a ~4 year gap b/w Step 1 & Step 2 (and even greater gap b/w Step 1 & graduation)? Why did you let your score expire? Was it subpar? You said you tried to match 2 years now...is there a reason you didn't match? What are you trying to match into? I think all of these are important questions that would help people give you advice.

i think the scores "expire" in 7 years from the date taken - if you dont finish them all and get the ECFMG Certificate.

to OP: as others said: it matters what you apply for, what sort of programs you apply for, if they filled their interview lists, if any interview spots opened on their list, if someone didnt get visa for interview...etc... you never know until you get to that point and do it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I gotta think as you are an IMG who has already tried to match 3 times, it's not a wise idea to push to the last second. And without a score in hand, it's going to be awfully hard to figure out where/how best to apply.

I'm confused, maybe you could clarify:
Step 1 scores expire? What about MD/PhD's that have a ~4 year gap b/w Step 1 & Step 2 (and even greater gap b/w Step 1 & graduation)? Why did you let your score expire? Was it subpar? You said you tried to match 2 years now...is there a reason you didn't match? What are you trying to match into? I think all of these are important questions that would help people give you advice.

I am an M.D./Ph.D. I actually started out as a US student, and wanted to pursue a Ph.D. at the same time, so I left for a school in Canada with a great program. My school said that I could come back and finish, but they ended up not staying true to their word, and forced me out - when I was one month away from graduation. It is a lot more complicated than that, so I was forced into getting my M.D. from an offshore school, thus forcing my Step 1 score to expire because I turned into an FMG. Last year was my first year out of school, and I didn't take the test because I didn't feel prepared enough. The year before, while still in school, I got interviewed at Brigham and Women's in Boston - I really wish that I had my crap together then....... It seems to be getting harder and harder.

I am an M.D./Ph.D. I actually started out as a US student, and wanted to pursue a Ph.D. at the same time, so I left for a school in Canada with a great program. My school said that I could come back and finish, but they ended up not staying true to their word, and forced me out - when I was one month away from graduation. It is a lot more complicated than that, so I was forced into getting my M.D. from an offshore school, thus forcing my Step 1 score to expire because I turned into an FMG. Last year was my first year out of school, and I didn't take the test because I didn't feel prepared enough. The year before, while still in school, I got interviewed at Brigham and Women's in Boston - I really wish that I had my crap together then....... It seems to be getting harder and harder.

Okay that explains how your score expired.

But what are you trying to get into? How competitive was your first Step 1 score? Why do you think you didn't match? All these things factor into your original question, which was "how to enter the match competitively".