Latest Date To Take MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capnamerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this coming cycle, and want to submit an early app. This will be my second time taking the MCAT. Currently, I have it booked for June 16, but I don't think I will be prepared by then. I will complete my primary app in June by applying to one reach school just to get verified and then add schools later after my MCAT score comes back. Currently, there are dates available for July 16, 28, and 29, with scores being released for these dates (tentatively) on August 16, 30, and 30 respectively. When do you think is the latest date I should write still have an early app? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I am kind of in a similar position as you. I took in the MCAT in January, but rushed it and didn't get the score I wanted (not horrible, but OK). I plan to take the proper three months to prepare this summer after spring finals are over and sit for the September 8th MCAT (with scores being released around October 10th).

From what I have gathered so far, you have a couple of options on the application. First, you can select that you will be taking another MCAT and to differ review until scores come in. Second, you can submit your application with the current MCAT, and just let them know you will be taking another one. That way, when the scores come in, they can update the application. I'm choosing the second option because I feel my score is ok enough to get my foot in the door. When the update comes, hopefully that pushes me through.

That is just my understanding of the process and the options we have. Maybe someone with more knowledge can come and shed more light. In any case, hope this helps!

I'd say after about July 15, you're beyond "early." Mid-July - Aug would be right in the middle. Sept/Oct is late (absolute deadlines begin Oct. 1). Anything after that is probably not worth applying this cycle (i.e., most schools' deadlines are by early or mid Nov and applying then pretty much guarantees either a rejection or a waitlist way down the line somewhere).

Honestly, we're 3 mos out from mid-June. If you can't be ready by mid-June studying now, you'll never be ready. Your best bet is to work your butt off until you're ready in June, take the test, and then apply ASAP. While a 24 isn't going to get in no matter what, a 28-30/3.8 in June has a much better chance than a 28-30/3.8 in Sept.

I'd say after about July 15, you're beyond "early." Mid-July - Aug would be right in the middle. Sept/Oct is late (absolute deadlines begin Oct. 1). Anything after that is probably not worth applying this cycle (i.e., most schools' deadlines are by early or mid Nov and applying then pretty much guarantees either a rejection or a waitlist way down the line somewhere).

Honestly, we're 3 mos out from mid-June. If you can't be ready by mid-June studying now, you'll never be ready. Your best bet is to work your butt off until you're ready in June, take the test, and then apply ASAP. While a 24 isn't going to get in no matter what, a 28-30/3.8 in June has a much better chance than a 28-30/3.8 in Sept.

The thing is, I haven't even begun studying yet. Schoolwork is really intense right now. That's why I'm planning on writing it July 16. My exams end April 20, so if I start studying after that, I will have approximately 3 months, which should be okay. The June 16 date is a whole month less, and will only give me with 6 weeks of studying time.

My plan is to complete the primary app and get it verified as soon as possible after AMCAS opens, applying to one reach school. Then, once my MCAT score comes back on August 16, I will add more schools. between July 16 and August 16, I will work on secondaries (even though they won't be sent to me) to reduce the turnaround time.

Do you think that's a sound plan?

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is, I haven't even begun studying yet. Schoolwork is really intense right now. That's why I'm planning on writing it July 16. My exams end April 20, so if I start studying after that, I will have approximately 3 months, which should be okay. The June 16 date is a whole month less, and will only give me with 6 weeks of studying time.

My plan is to complete the primary app and get it verified as soon as possible after AMCAS opens, applying to one reach school. Then, once my MCAT score comes back on August 16, I will add more schools. between July 16 and August 16, I will work on secondaries (even though they won't be sent to me) to reduce the turnaround time.

I guess if it's what you've gotta do. Mid-Aug puts you at a disadvantage but if you score well and have a high GPA, you'll still likely do well. There really are too many factors involved to know. Some schools won't start reviewing apps until July or Aug, so for them, you're probably not in a bad position. The problem is knowing which schools tend to lean early or late.

Why not apply next year when you actually have stuff in order?

For real.

I would say do the later test date and see where things stand, unless you really think you'll be sufficiently prepared to take it in June. The worst thing you can do is take the test before you're ready. If you take it later, it won't matter much at the non-rolling schools.

First, the most important thing about the MCAT is being prepared. Simply don't take it if you're not prepared.

Secondly, talk to your adviser. Reading SDN, sometimes you get the impression that people exaggerate the importance of certain things. From both pre-med advisers I've talked to, testing in July was considered fine and the advantage of applying early is negligible.

Unfortunately, I can't remember either saying anything specific about aug/sept testing. Just remember that medical schools are in no rush to close their doors to prospective students. Thus, they aren't trying to fill their seats ASAP... they want to look at everyone.

I was wondering that if I also Submit my AMCAS application early with 1 reach school, and then decide not to continue ( upon receiving a subpar MCAT score) applying this cycle, am I then considered a reapplicant for the following cycle? Or am I only considered a reapplicant for the 1 reach school?

First, the most important thing about the MCAT is being prepared. Simply don't take it if you're not prepared.

Secondly, talk to your adviser. Reading SDN, sometimes you get the impression that people exaggerate the importance of certain things. From both pre-med advisers I've talked to, testing in July was considered fine and the advantage of applying early is negligible.

Unfortunately, I can't remember either saying anything specific about aug/sept testing. Just remember that medical schools are in no rush to close their doors to prospective students. Thus, they aren't trying to fill their seats ASAP... they want to look at everyone.

Keep in mind that some pre med advisers have no idea what's going on...

I was wondering that if I also Submit my AMCAS application early with 1 reach school, and then decide not to continue ( upon receiving a subpar MCAT score) applying this cycle, am I then considered a reapplicant for the following cycle? Or am I only considered a reapplicant for the 1 reach school?

Yes, every school that I know of considers sending them your primary application as an "application," even if you don't complete their secondary. You would have to answer on AMCAS that you're a reapplicant.

Don't do this. It's a horrible idea.

Yeah. I rescheduled it for July 16. Let's hope I get a much better score this time.

Cole, in your post above, you mention that even if you apply to just one school and decide not to continue with the application process, you have to state that you are a re-applicant if you decide to apply again. Do you have to do this for each school or AMCAS on the whole? For example, if I submit my primary to Harvard and don't continue on with the process, if I apply to MSU the following cycle, will I be considered a re-applicant?

Yeah. I rescheduled it for July 16. Let's hope I get a much better score this time.

Cole, in your post above, you mention that even if you apply to just one school and decide not to continue with the application process, you have to state that you are a re-applicant if you decide to apply again. Do you have to do this for each school or AMCAS on the whole? For example, if I submit my primary to Harvard and don't continue on with the process, if I apply to MSU the following cycle, will I be considered a re-applicant?

What do you think?

What do you think?

Sorry, but I agree with CAPNAMERICA, that Cole was a bit unclear in his answer, and I was wondering the same thing. SDN is used as a vehicle to help each other out. Sarcasm is not helpful to anyone. Cole is ALWAYS sharing helpful input, so why don't we wait to hear his clarification.

Sorry, but I agree with CAPNAMERICA, that Cole was a bit unclear in his answer, and I was wondering the same thing. SDN is used as a vehicle to help each other out. Sarcasm is not helpful to anyone. Cole is ALWAYS sharing helpful input, so why don't we wait to hear his clarification.

My understanding is that he would be considered a reapplicant to harvard in that case, but not to MSU since MSU never saw an application from him.

He might be considered a 'reapplicant to medical school', but I doubt that because the school is what matters not the broad category of 'medical school'.

I'm fairly certain that AMCAS asks you whether or not you've ever submitted an AMCAS application before, REGARDLESS of where you've applied. It's been a while since I've looked at the application, but I'm pretty sure that question is there. If so, then you'll have to answer yes and you'll be viewed as a reapplicant from AMCAS' perspective. Whether or not individual schools will treat you as a reapplicant, who knows.

Im in a similar situation capnamerica minus not having taken the mcat yet.

I have EVERYTHING in place for this app cycle to the point where (other than getting a bad MCAT) I would have no idea what to do for a year off to improve my app.

So I'm trying to study now in my final semester in undergrad for the June 16 MCAT following SN2eds schedule. While I wouldn't consider it a mistake as I knew it would be difficult, it is very tough and I'm not getting in top quality studying time although it is still effective.

I am scheduled for the June 16 MCAT as this gives almost 1.5 months to dedicate to FL practice exams and content review in weak areas after the semester ends in the beginning of May. Also, if for some reason I don't hit my desired range I can retake in September but I definitely don't see doing so poorly the first time I cant even get interviews which is all I need. The interview is critical, and if your good on paper and get an interview then you have everything you can ask for.

The only reason not to apply would be for financial restrictions or if your app is lacking in any other area or you get another undesired MCAT score.

Take MCAT when your ready, apply early in June and dont bomb the MCAT esp if your retaking!

This is EXACTLY THE ANTITHESIS of what my pre-med advisor told me (early on in my post-bacc). His words were, more or less, "Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a student who has gotten into medical school who did not apply early in the summer. My experience has been that students who apply in the fall almost always end up as reapplicants the next year." He happens to also be on the faculty of a top med school, so while I think what he said might be a bit of an exaggeration, I think it also says something about admissions -- long-time SDNers who say "apply ASAP -- as early as possible in the summer ~18 mos before the intended matriculation date" have a lot of evidence behind what they are saying. Med schools are using rolling admissions after all.

OP, if you do not score above the avg of the schools to which you are applying (taking GPA into consideration) and are unable to submit your primary (w/ the MCAT) prior to Aug., I'd probably suggest waiting a year and making sure everything is in place long before you hope to apply. Being a reapplicant will only make things tougher the following yr and you will be a reapplicant at all schools if your primary is verified by AMCAS. It is irrelevant whether you withdrew an app later or only applied to one school and then withdrew the next day. You are still a reapplicant. (Although, I suppose if you withdrew the next day, they probably would not have started the verification process so a call into AMCAS to have them cancel it MIGHT prevent you from being a reapplicant but that's getting a bit complicated....)

Does anyone know how long after receiving the primary do schools send out secondaries? Also, when do schools begin reviewing secondaries?

This is EXACTLY THE ANTITHESIS of what my pre-med advisor told me (early on in my post-bacc). His words were, more or less, "Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a student who has gotten into medical school who did not apply early in the summer. My experience has been that students who apply in the fall almost always end up as reapplicants the next year." He happens to also be on the faculty of a top med school, so while I think what he said might be a bit of an exaggeration, I think it also says something about admissions -- long-time SDNers who say "apply ASAP -- as early as possible in the summer ~18 mos before the intended matriculation date" have a lot of evidence behind what they are saying. Med schools are using rolling admissions after all.

OP, if you do not score above the avg of the schools to which you are applying (taking GPA into consideration) and are unable to submit your primary (w/ the MCAT) prior to Aug., I'd probably suggest waiting a year and making sure everything is in place long before you hope to apply. Being a reapplicant will only make things tougher the following yr and you will be a reapplicant at all schools if your primary is verified by AMCAS. It is irrelevant whether you withdrew an app later or only applied to one school and then withdrew the next day. You are still a reapplicant. (Although, I suppose if you withdrew the next day, they probably would not have started the verification process so a call into AMCAS to have them cancel it MIGHT prevent you from being a reapplicant but that's getting a bit complicated....)

The June 16th MCAT results don't come out until July 19th, and it then takes time to have the AMCAS verified. So do you think, I should wait till the 2013 application cycle to apply, instead of this coming cycle(2012)?

Does anyone know how long after receiving the primary do schools send out secondaries? Also, when do schools begin reviewing secondaries?

This year secondaries weren't sent out until June 25th because AMCAS doesn't transmit the app until the end of June. I would imagine it would follow a similar timeline this year, but I don't know.

The June 16th MCAT results don't come out until July 19th, and it then takes time to have the AMCAS verified. So do you think, I should wait till the 2013 application cycle to apply, instead of this coming cycle(2012)?

I say that's fine. I think as long as your app is in by August you'll be fine. You might be a little behind, but it won't be too bad.

To be completely honest with everyone.

If you have a good relationship with your parents and they have insurance through work, spending a year at home is not a bad idea.

Why's that?

It's because:
1) You have insurance paid for through cobra under the new healthcare bill.
2) You can work part time and boost your volunteer hours, study, etc.
3) Unless you have a ton of stuff to do, you can make together a bomb application.

That is, of course, if you can't find a job full time for a year or two. I'm applying this fall, but looking at another job for the summer. If I get that job, I'll be applying next fall instead with 3 years between undergrad and potentially starting up at med school.

I graduated at 21 though, so I'm in no hurry to get in.

this subject interests me too. i think i may take the mcat in late may or june so i can score as high as possible but i still want to be competitive when it comes to the rolling process. i have heard mixed things when it comes to getting the rec letters and all that gathered and the mcat stuff which just comes together to make the process more confusing than it probably really is