Latest Navy Advertisement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

island doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Tough Careers Demand Tough Allies" is the headline on the latest Navy full page Ad in this week's issue of American Medical News.

"Becoming a doctor is expensive, so the Navy's Health Professions Scholarship Program gives you over $180,000 for tuition. Already graduated? The Navy's Financial Assistance Program pays over $160,000 for living expenses during residency. Then you enter a thriving medical practice-no malpractice insurance, no administrative hassles - so you can focus on patient care. If you're committed to becoming a doctor, the Navy is committed to helping your career take off."

NAVY
accelerate your life

Your thoughts??? (MilMD, this says there are no admin hassles in Navy Med.)

Members don't see this ad.

island doc said:
"Tough Careers Demand Tough Allies" is the headline on the latest Navy full page Ad in this week's issue of American Medical News.

"Becoming a doctor is expensive, so the Navy's Health Professions Scholarship Program gives you over $180,000 for tuition. Already graduated? The Navy's Financial Assistance Program pays over $160,000 for living expenses during residency. Then you enter a thriving medical practice-no malpractice insurance, no administrative hassles - so you can focus on patient care. If you're committed to becoming a doctor, the Navy is committed to helping your career take off."

NAVY
accelerate your life

Your thoughts??? (MilMD, this says there are no admin hassles in Navy Med.)

:laugh: :thumbdown:

Navy life in general (I have been in for 9 years now) involves a lot of administrative hassles, not just medical. It is all done for a reason (I think), and can be owed to ancient, de-centralized record keeping and high amount of staff turn over. The Navy for me was a great way to get a lot of responsibility in little time with minimal training. It made my hair turn gray, and probably took a few years off of my life in stress, but I am tougher now because of it.

militarymd~ I really hope I run into you on rotations or internship...I need to get the low-down of how things really work as a physician in the Navy.

Members don't see this ad :)
SquidDoc said:
Navy life in general (I have been in for 9 years now) involves a lot of administrative hassles, not just medical. It is all done for a reason (I think), and can be owed to ancient, de-centralized record keeping and high amount of staff turn over. The Navy for me was a great way to get a lot of responsibility in little time with minimal training. It made my hair turn gray, and probably took a few years off of my life in stress, but I am tougher now because of it.

militarymd~ I really hope I run into you on rotations or internship...I need to get the low-down of how things really work as a physician in the Navy.

I got out last year...and I was east coast, probably very different from west coast....
PM me anytime with questions.

pm sent. thanks.

"Life In The Navy Rocks Even Harder Than The Commercial Implied

By CPO Dan Gazanski
November 16, 2005 | Issue 41•46
Life In The Navy Rocks Even Harder Than The Commercial Implied

After I graduated from high school, I was making good money painting houses, my girlfriend was cool with a rockin' little bod, and I partied almost every night. But after a year or so, I started to wonder: "If someone wrote a book about my life, would anyone want to read it?"

I wanted discipline and training, but I didn't want to give up my hard-rockin' lifestyle. Where, I wondered, could that elusive combination of rigid authoritarian structure and unbridled monster power chords be found? Then I saw a commercial for the U.S. Navy. That's when I knew what to do with my life.

And guess what? The U.S. Navy f*cking kicks ass, dude. From the time we're awoken at 06:00 by System Of A Down or Disturbed till we drift off to sleep to an instrumental guitar version of "Taps" performed by Zakk Wylde, it's a nonstop rock block.

How do I even begin to describe the constant barrage of adrenaline-fueled, over-the-top kick-assitude that is the U.S. Navy? Every day is like a rapid-fire montage sequence of high-tech action and thrill-ride imagery that makes your f*ckin' head spin.

One minute, I'm crouched on the deck of an aircraft carrier barking something into a helmet-mounted headset that you can't even friggin' hear because the music's so loud. Next, I'm dashing through the Mojave under the weight of a large pack and jumping out of a helicopter into the ocean wearing some kind of James Bond one-man submersible scuba suit. If I'm not roarin' down the high seas with the wind in my hair and 800 pounds of rad-ass Batman **** strapped to my uniform, I'm standing at perfect attention in my dress whites, f*cking whippin' a sword around like I'm a goddamn samurai master.

Even basic training was an edgy, quick-cut mosaic of running and climbing and shooting and learning and Pantera riffs. There was this rad obstacle course we did twice a day carrying sandbags, and when you did it, it was like you could feel yourself morph from an average guy into one of the sword-carrying knights of old. I may not have slain actual dragons, but when I came out, I looked just like Iron Man, and my father was very impressed with the changes that he saw in me.

Serving aboard the U.S.S. Abraham Linkin Park, which is just about the most hardcore carrier in the fleet, I spend the morning working on high-tech projects like blowing up long-range sea targets with giant artillery guns. In the afternoon, it's firing missiles, Tomahawks, and torpedoes into the sea. And my nights? Getting valuable intel off our way-advanced radar screens. That's when I don't dart off in a super-fast motorboat in full frogman gear to train in underwater demolition and special ops, emerging from the water at sunrise.

But there's also these quieter moments that really put things in perspective. Usually, it's when me and my multiethnic buddies are coming back from a long, kick-ass day, and we experience an unspoken moment of camaraderie. The music shifts to a power ballad, and we take a minute before the American flag to gaze in silence at the epic sunset. When I glance at my friends' chiseled faces and see their quiet pride and masculinity, I realize that I made the right choice. Sometimes, we're joined by a flying eagle, but the eagle isn't a pet of ours, it just kind of appears superimposed behind us like 50 feet tall when things get patriotic.

I gotta admit, though, as much as the Navy rocks out with its cocks out, I'm not sure if I'll be making a permanent career out of it. Sometimes, when I'm flying around in my F/A-18 Hornet, I imagine myself morphing out of my action gear into a three-piece suit heading up my own Fortune 500 company which I built on the skills the Navy taught me.

When I get shore leave and go home to visit my family and old friends, they can't hide their pride. As the background music slows to a stately march, my normally hard-as-nails dad salutes me and shakes my hand with tears in his eyes.

I'm sure glad that I didn't join the Marines. All those guys seem to do is climb sheer mountain faces with their bare hands." - the onion

Hahahaha

That totally had me cracking up! Where did you get that???

that was the funniest thing i've ever read! :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

Every potential recruit should have to read and *think* about that! Heck, laughing at the military should be a required sanity check prior to entering :laugh:

BEST ARTICLE EVAR...

Hopefully that chief will get a job as the Navy PAO and maybe a LOM!

bahahahaha! I'm in tears after reading that. If navy life were actually like that, I think I'd join tomorrow. :p

cpc23 said:
"Life In The Navy Rocks Even Harder Than The Commercial Implied

By CPO Dan Gazanski
November 16, 2005 | Issue 41•46
Life In The Navy Rocks Even Harder Than The Commercial Implied

After I graduated from high school, I was making good money painting houses, my girlfriend was cool with a rockin' little bod, and I partied almost every night. But after a year or so, I started to wonder: "If someone wrote a book about my life, would anyone want to read it?"

I wanted discipline and training, but I didn't want to give up my hard-rockin' lifestyle. Where, I wondered, could that elusive combination of rigid authoritarian structure and unbridled monster power chords be found? Then I saw a commercial for the U.S. Navy. That's when I knew what to do with my life.

And guess what? The U.S. Navy f*cking kicks ass, dude. From the time we're awoken at 06:00 by System Of A Down or Disturbed till we drift off to sleep to an instrumental guitar version of "Taps" performed by Zakk Wylde, it's a nonstop rock block.

How do I even begin to describe the constant barrage of adrenaline-fueled, over-the-top kick-assitude that is the U.S. Navy? Every day is like a rapid-fire montage sequence of high-tech action and thrill-ride imagery that makes your f*ckin' head spin.

One minute, I'm crouched on the deck of an aircraft carrier barking something into a helmet-mounted headset that you can't even friggin' hear because the music's so loud. Next, I'm dashing through the Mojave under the weight of a large pack and jumping out of a helicopter into the ocean wearing some kind of James Bond one-man submersible scuba suit. If I'm not roarin' down the high seas with the wind in my hair and 800 pounds of rad-ass Batman **** strapped to my uniform, I'm standing at perfect attention in my dress whites, f*cking whippin' a sword around like I'm a goddamn samurai master.

Even basic training was an edgy, quick-cut mosaic of running and climbing and shooting and learning and Pantera riffs. There was this rad obstacle course we did twice a day carrying sandbags, and when you did it, it was like you could feel yourself morph from an average guy into one of the sword-carrying knights of old. I may not have slain actual dragons, but when I came out, I looked just like Iron Man, and my father was very impressed with the changes that he saw in me.

Serving aboard the U.S.S. Abraham Linkin Park, which is just about the most hardcore carrier in the fleet, I spend the morning working on high-tech projects like blowing up long-range sea targets with giant artillery guns. In the afternoon, it's firing missiles, Tomahawks, and torpedoes into the sea. And my nights? Getting valuable intel off our way-advanced radar screens. That's when I don't dart off in a super-fast motorboat in full frogman gear to train in underwater demolition and special ops, emerging from the water at sunrise.

But there's also these quieter moments that really put things in perspective. Usually, it's when me and my multiethnic buddies are coming back from a long, kick-ass day, and we experience an unspoken moment of camaraderie. The music shifts to a power ballad, and we take a minute before the American flag to gaze in silence at the epic sunset. When I glance at my friends' chiseled faces and see their quiet pride and masculinity, I realize that I made the right choice. Sometimes, we're joined by a flying eagle, but the eagle isn't a pet of ours, it just kind of appears superimposed behind us like 50 feet tall when things get patriotic.

I gotta admit, though, as much as the Navy rocks out with its cocks out, I'm not sure if I'll be making a permanent career out of it. Sometimes, when I'm flying around in my F/A-18 Hornet, I imagine myself morphing out of my action gear into a three-piece suit heading up my own Fortune 500 company which I built on the skills the Navy taught me.

When I get shore leave and go home to visit my family and old friends, they can't hide their pride. As the background music slows to a stately march, my normally hard-as-nails dad salutes me and shakes my hand with tears in his eyes.

I'm sure glad that I didn't join the Marines. All those guys seem to do is climb sheer mountain faces with their bare hands." - the onion

is this an advertisement or what!

Its a worm appealing to the macho side of all males. Although I'd like to think I did not fall for that hook and sinker, at the time I joined, I actually ended up getting a slot for flight school, because the 0-6 at my detatchment got to know me and gave me the choice.

With the age of the internet, and information like in this forum, I think they'll find less and less macho guys.

I must admit, it was not 100% bad all the time. But for medicine, it SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G