Latest Residency Salary Schedules From The AAMC

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by NuMD97, Jun 16, 2002.

1. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member

I thought to start this as a separate thread, although I already included it in a discussion elsewhere, since I have been told the link was a useful one. Just in case it might help someone else out there:

<a href="http://www.aamc.org/hlthcare/coth-hss/2001report.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/hlthcare/coth-hss/2001report.pdf</a>

Specifically check out Table 5.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member

Guess this wasn't as much of an interest as I thought. :)

4. Stormreaver

Stormreaver The Blade of Tyshalle

Ouch, I just found out I'm in the lowest 25th percentile bracket. That hurts!

5. gherelin

gherelin Member

Me too. Though it seems like we just generally get paid less in the South....

6. Kirk

Kirk Senior Member

Oh my god! Did you look and see the info that was adjusted for inflation?? In 1968 the pay was $6,200. In 2001 it was $7,288 (adjusted for inflation). That means that in over 30 years residents have increased their actual earning power by only $1,000 dollars.... pathetic

7. Ryo-Ohki

Got to love how hospitals exploit some young doctors' insecurities, naivety, lap dog mentality and sense of superiority.

Nurses fresh out of nursing school make 40% more then MDs fresh out of medical school while working half the hours!! Wake up kids, you're being exploited!

8. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member

Originally posted by Kirk:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Oh my god! Did you look and see the info that was adjusted for inflation?? In 1968 the pay was $6,200. In 2001 it was $7,288 (adjusted for inflation). That means that in over 30 years residents have increased their actual earning power by only $1,000 dollars.... pathetic </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I got news for ya, Kirk. In the '30's they weren't even given a stipend at all. Just room and board. Soooooo, this is improvement in 70 years' time. :D

9. Stormreaver

Well, some improvement....!

10. Stormreaver

Well, some improvement....! Back home residents work for free!

11. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member

Originally posted by Stormreaver:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Well, some improvement....! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whatsamadda? You really want to earn a decent wage? You're only in training . :D

Recently, looking for a new apartment, I had a leasing agent tell me (after she requested a copy of the new "salary"), even without seeing my hospital's figures, that what residents make is "a crying shame." We know it, some in the "world" know it, but what can ya do?

12. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member

Originally posted by Stormreaver:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Ouch, I just found out I'm in the lowest 25th percentile bracket. That hurts! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just know: the more prestigious the institution, the more likely the stipend will be less.