Latest Residency Salary Schedules From The AAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NuMD97

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought to start this as a separate thread, although I already included it in a discussion elsewhere, since I have been told the link was a useful one. Just in case it might help someone else out there:

<a href="http://www.aamc.org/hlthcare/coth-hss/2001report.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/hlthcare/coth-hss/2001report.pdf</a>

Specifically check out Table 5.

Members don't see this ad.

Guess this wasn't as much of an interest as I thought. :)

Ouch, I just found out I'm in the lowest 25th percentile bracket. That hurts!

Me too. Though it seems like we just generally get paid less in the South....

Oh my god! Did you look and see the info that was adjusted for inflation?? In 1968 the pay was $6,200. In 2001 it was $7,288 (adjusted for inflation). That means that in over 30 years residents have increased their actual earning power by only $1,000 dollars.... pathetic

Got to love how hospitals exploit some young doctors' insecurities, naivety, lap dog mentality and sense of superiority.

Nurses fresh out of nursing school make 40% more then MDs fresh out of medical school while working half the hours!! Wake up kids, you're being exploited!

Originally posted by Kirk:

•••quote:••• Oh my god! Did you look and see the info that was adjusted for inflation?? In 1968 the pay was $6,200. In 2001 it was $7,288 (adjusted for inflation). That means that in over 30 years residents have increased their actual earning power by only $1,000 dollars.... pathetic ••••I got news for ya, Kirk. In the '30's they weren't even given a stipend at all. Just room and board. Soooooo, this is improvement in 70 years' time. :D

Well, some improvement....!

Well, some improvement....! Back home residents work for free!

Originally posted by Stormreaver:

•••quote:••• Well, some improvement....! ••••Whatsamadda? You really want to earn a decent wage? You're only in training . :D

Recently, looking for a new apartment, I had a leasing agent tell me (after she requested a copy of the new "salary"), even without seeing my hospital's figures, that what residents make is "a crying shame." We know it, some in the "world" know it, but what can ya do?

Originally posted by Stormreaver:

•••quote:••• Ouch, I just found out I'm in the lowest 25th percentile bracket. That hurts! ••••Just know: the more prestigious the institution, the more likely the stipend will be less.