latest time to take DAT and still considered early in cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
as the headline says, what is the latest time that I could take the DAT and still be considered early in the application

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say having EVERYTHING complete/sent out by mid August is still considered early.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes you'll read SDN and think if you don't submit everything by June 1st, you're a lost cause going into the application cycle. The reality is the vast majority of people complete and submit their applications in August. Anything before is technically considered early, I would shoot for a late June/mid July test date at the latest, that way you can reschedule your exam if necessary and still get it in before the rush.

However, you should open and submit your application as early as possible, within the first week of June if possible. Getting all your letters of rec, your transcripts, personal statement, and getting it all verified will take a few weeks. You want all that taken care of as soon as possible so the only thing missing is your DAT score. Your application will not be sent to the schools until it is 100% complete, so once you take your DAT and it gets sent to AADSAS, your application will automatically be completed and sent out.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello,

I was wondering should I take the DAT in the middle of August like August 10th or is that too late? I am planning on having the application ready to turn in ahead of time due to the fact that I already asked for letters of recommendation in March and have already completed my personal statement. But I am just worried about the test and want to give myself as much time as possible but I also want to be early. I have to take a 3 week summer course from May 16th to June 3rd but after that I was going to study till that August 10th date. And do you think that's enough time or could I even extend it later? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I was wondering should I take the DAT in the middle of August like August 10th or is that too late? I am planning on having the application ready to turn in ahead of time due to the fact that I already asked for letters of recommendation in March and have already completed my personal statement. But I am just worried about the test and want to give myself as much time as possible but I also want to be early. I have to take a 3 week summer course from May 16th to June 3rd but after that I was going to study till that August 10th date. And do you think that's enough time or could I even extend it later? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello jacbbc,

I like your plan and 2 months should be enough time to prepare if you can dedicate a lot of time to study. You could start dedicating a small amount of time NOW to review such as, math , reading,Bio, and PAT, etc. If you only dedicate 30 minutes a day now, you will have a lot accomplished before you begin your major study June 3rd.

My best advice is not to take the DAT until fully prepared, but only you will be able to decide that. I work with a lot of students over the summer months and encourage them to take the exam prior to Sept 1 if they are ready.

Just my 2 cents..hope this helps..

Nancy

Hello jacbbc,

I like your plan and 2 months should be enough time to prepare if you can dedicate a lot of time to study. You could start dedicating a small amount of time NOW to review such as, math , reading,Bio, and PAT, etc. If you only dedicate 30 minutes a day now, you will have a lot accomplished before you begin your major study June 3rd.

My best advice is not to take the DAT until fully prepared, but only you will be able to decide that. I work with a lot of students over the summer months and encourage them to take the exam prior to Sept 1 if they are ready.

Just my 2 cents..hope this helps..

Nancy

Hello orgoman22,

Thank you so much for getting back to me and providing me with great advice. This definitely helps, I really appreciate it! Thank you!!!

Hello orgoman22,

Thank you so much for getting back to me and providing me with great advice. This definitely helps, I really appreciate it! Thank you!!!
You are welcome, feel free to post any questions you have along the way and we will be happy to answer them.

Take care..Nancy

So when you say complete by mid august does that mean hit submit mid August? That doesn't include the verification of the transcripts & grades right.

So when you say complete by mid august does that mean hit submit mid August? That doesn't include the verification of the transcripts & grades right.
Submit early in June. The ONLY thing I would suggest putting off is taking the DAT if you need to. Letters, transcripts, etc should be included in the app and done ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So when your done taking the DAT, you should just send your scores to every school free of charge right? How does that work.

So when your done taking the DAT, you should just send your scores to every school free of charge right? How does that work.
I forget how the pricing works, but your scores are sent automatically after they are verified.

Submit by the end of June, preferably earlier. The ONLY thing I would suggest putting off is taking the DAT if you need to. Letters, transcripts, etc should be included in the app and done ASAP.
I can submit everything by June. However, I'm taking the DAT early July. How does that work? keep helping me friend lol

Apply in June when the applications open, because it'll take a few weeks to get everything approved. You want your DAT to be the only thing missing. Your application will not be sent out to the schools until it is fully completed. Once your DAT gets uploaded (2-4 weeks after you take it) and your application is complete, your application will be sent out to all the schools you selected.

Reactions: 4 users
Apply in June when the applications open, because it'll take a few weeks to get everything approved. You want your DAT to be the only thing missing. Your application will not be sent out to the schools until it is fully completed. Once your DAT gets uploaded (2-4 weeks after you take it) and your application is complete, your application will be sent out to all the schools you selected.
So even if I hit submit they won't mail everything out if and only if I take my DAT?

Thank you

So even if I hit submit they won't mail everything out if and only if I take my DAT?
Yep. I'd double check with AADSAS since things may change this year, but that's how it's been for a while. When you hit submit, you're submitting your application for review, then they have to verify you transcripts and all that. Your application will only be sent to dental schools for review once it is complete.

Here is a link and a video from the ASDA that has some great information and should also answer a lot of your questions.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

http://www.asdanet.org/predental/aadsas.aspx

Yep. I'd double check with AADSAS since things may change this year, but that's how it's been for a while. When you hit submit, you're submitting your application for review, then they have to verify you transcripts and all that. Your application will only be sent to dental schools for review once it is complete.
Sorry, need clarification. I competed my bachelor degree in the US, took required courses in science in the US as well, but prior to all that i also studied abroad, those credits were taking into account for my bachelor degree here. I don't think I can get the official transcript and get it evaluated here. I can only get it once I travel there myself which will be in the winter and the application cycle will soon be closed. Can I submit all what's needed just without the international transcript and have my application reviewed and sent to schools, and only later i will submit the international transcript? What should i do? Please need advise!

I am tying to take a summer class so it can help my GPA and it ends on june 24th, should I submit my application after my grade for that class is in or should I not bother taking the summer class? My sGPA is what I am tying to improve, its around 2.9-3.00 because I had to repeat 2 courses. I will be taking my DAT on july 7th.

I am tying to take a summer class so it can help my GPA and it ends on june 24th, should I submit my application after my grade for that class is in or should I not bother taking the summer class? My sGPA is what I am tying to improve, its around 2.9-3.00 because I had to repeat 2 courses. I will be taking my DAT on july 7th.
Kind of depends on a lot of factors. How much can this one class bring up your GPA? Would that time be better spent studying for the DAT you'll be taking in July?

Your science GPA is on the low side compared to the accepted averages in the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools book. In any case, you may have to look into a post-bacc or masters program to improve your GPA further.

No worries at all taking the test July 7th, our summer classroom students do not complete our course until mid August and take the DAT directly after. They have no problem getting acceptances with a high DAT score and GPA.

Your main focus should be scoring high on the DAT, not rushing to take it. Taking the test before being fully prepared is the biggest mistake students make, and often results in a retake.

You already have some strikes against you because of the lower SGPA, you need to Destroy the DAT with some big numbers to offset your GPA

Just my 2 cents after many years of experience in this arena

Wishing you the best

Nancy

Kind of depends on a lot of factors. How much can this one class bring up your GPA? Would that time be better spent studying for the DAT you'll be taking in July?

Your science GPA is on the low side compared to the accepted averages in the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools book. In any case, you may have to look into a post-bacc or masters program to improve your GPA further.

Yea it's really upsetting to see that I might need to do post-bacc, masters, or informal post-bacc to get in. I am hoping to just try applying this cycle and if I don't get in then think about post-bacc because if I do get in I will be saving so much money.

Does anyone know if there is a place I can actually calculate my sGPA and my oGPA? I only have the estimate. Do I have to wait till the application opens?

Apply as early as possible and while having everything submitted by June 1 would be fantastic, what is ideal is not always what's best nor what we can do.

Shoot to get everything in my mid August, which means take your DAT mid or late July at the worst. Anything after mid-late August is no longer EARLY IN THE CYCLE. Remember, many schools start their first round of interviews in September and most have their last round of interviews in Jan or Feb.

Hello orgoman22,
I am planning to take DAT on August 31st 2019 for the admissions in fall 2010. Definitively I will submit the application form in June 1st 2019. Will it be too late for my score to reach the schools. Please advice

I just want to butt in with some advice based on my experience. I do NOT recommend submission prior to taking the DAT. If you submit everything, pay the hefty app fees, go through the grueling process...and end up falling short of your desired DAT score it all goes to ashes. Thats what happened to me last year. Submitted everything early, but took the DAT later and my scores were less than stellar. It was a disappointing cycle to say the least, and I would not take the gamble again.

I just want to butt in with some advice based on my experience. I do NOT recommend submission prior to taking the DAT. If you submit everything, pay the hefty app fees, go through the grueling process...and end up falling short of your desired DAT score it all goes to ashes. Thats what happened to me last year. Submitted everything early, but took the DAT later and my scores were less than stellar. It was a disappointing cycle to say the least, and I would not take the gamble again.
I agree with smiledoc1 100 percent, students are being misguided by others, including the schools advisors, encouraging this big rush to take the DAT and also submitting prior to taking the DAT. Both are very risky indeed. Students lose sight of the goal and that is to get into dental school. If a cycle is missed it is not the end of the world as long as you reach that goal. If you have a year off you can relax or work to save some money, both of these things are hard to do when in dental school. I see these 2 mistakes made often: taking the DAT when not prepared and submission prior to taking the DAT this a gamble and sets you up for a possible retake and also waste of time and money.

Just my 2 cents after many years working with students.

Nancy, co/owner, Orgoman, DAT Destroyer