SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Discussion in 'Dental' started by crimson, Aug 5, 2001.

1. crimson

crimson What up Smokey! 10+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2001
    Does it help to know Latin (or another language) for anatomy, physiology or advanced biology? I know this sounds a bit far fetched, but a prof. I was talking to last week from my undergrad school suggested I take two weeks and teach myself some elementary latin.
    and oh yes, is latin a big pain in the gluteus maximus?
    thannx :)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. roo

roo Voice From The Wilderness 10+ Year Member

Nov 16, 2000
    It will be useful in anatomy, microbiology, and the rest of the cabal.

However, if you get tossed into the deep end of the pool, you will learn it by the seat of your pants: after reading/hearing 'os' in a few places, you will know in the future an 'os' is probably a hole of some type. Keeps you from spending time learning latin that won't come up in medicine, I guess. :)

Your professors and other mentors, throughout the remaining chapters of your study, your may be of a generation in which latin was mandatory. Thus it is expected of you also. They may sigh and bemoan the decline of classic scholarship if you can't deduce some simple latin when questioned in the theatre or the clinic.
  4. snhate

snhate Junior Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Forget the Latin and skip right ahead to the Spanish. After anatomy your Latin will be a useful to you as it is to it's originators--none. However, if you can speak English and Spanish fluently you will be in high demand as more and more patients who walk into a dental school tend to be strictly Spanish speakers. Plus, when you get out it's a great way to attract patients and adds to your commoditiy as a prospective associate! Take it from some one who took French--en Espanol por favor.